Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I thought Fran Frischilla was excellent tonight. He was friendly, self-effacing, and most importantly analyzed the game and did so in a straightforward manner without drawing attention to himself and without the need for some kind of shtick. Like an adult talking to other adults, in an interesting and entertaining way. I appreciate him taking the "analyze it as a coach sees it" approach, as to me that provides the most interesting insights. He also was well-prepared, knew what has gone on before tonight with both teams, and didn't rely on hackneyed un-funny anecdotes. Wish there were more like him.
    I'm fine with Fraschilla doing color. I don't think he's amazing, but he usually is solid. IMO coaches usually make better analysts than ex-players. But he got an easy game to analyze. Duke did a lot of stuff wrong, and most coaches can pick those apart - kind of like hindsight being 20/20. And Miami was basically doing everything right, again, and easy thing to laud. But yes, even when it was a blowout, he stayed on the game (again, probably because he was a coach, and coaches keep watching the game). Definitely a plus. He's also reasonable in the studio. A good 2-way guy, and that's actually kind of rare.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Listening to Reece Davis yet again, I'm convinced he is a subpar play-by-play guy. He has a color guy tendency to go off-game and keep talking about whatever's on his mind while the game is going on. Color guys can and often do go off topic, and it's up to the play-by-play guy to reel them back in. There's no one there to reel back in Davis. He opines much too much, both openly and subtly. To me, Davis is much more suited to the studio than the game. But I guess until Duke's solidly back as a top-10 to 20 team, we are probably going to be stuck with the likes of him for a while.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Listening to Reece Davis yet again, I'm convinced he is a subpar play-by-play guy. He has a color guy tendency to go off-game and keep talking about whatever's on his mind while the game is going on. Color guys can and often do go off topic, and it's up to the play-by-play guy to reel them back in. There's no one there to reel back in Davis. He opines much too much, both openly and subtly. To me, Davis is much more suited to the studio than the game. But I guess until Duke's solidly back as a top-10 to 20 team, we are probably going to be stuck with the likes of him for a while.

9F
    I agree about Rece Davis. Just not a good play-by-play guy at all. He acts more like a color man. And in that vein, I do give him on tiny bit of credit for this game: Antonelli is blathering on about Flip's charge and come out with, "The refs are just adudicating the rules there." To which Davis quips, "Well, there's a novel concept." He should never had said it, but it's what every Duke fan was thinking.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/15/diam...ptcy-prep.html

Doesn't fit well into this thread, but Diamond Sports owns Bally Sports and Duke football has had numerous appearances on this network (available in the Triangle). Hope this network is salvageable in its present form.

SMDH @ the UNC/ State game doing a seemingly endless bit about Lunardi’s fantasy bracket, and Corey having to admit on camera he wasn’t paying attention to the game. ESPN is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    SMDH @ the UNC/ State game doing a seemingly endless bit about Lunardi’s fantasy bracket, and Corey having to admit on camera he wasn’t paying attention to the game. ESPN is broken.
    That was absolutely awful. Game coverage now is all about focusing on some side show. I might as well just follow this game on gamecast since it is now apparently so much more difficult to just see it on tv.

We get CA tomorrow night v. UL.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    That was absolutely awful. Game coverage now is all about focusing on some side show. I might as well just follow this game on gamecast since it is now apparently so much more difficult to just see it on tv.
    Someone must tell them that people prefer Lunardi to seeing the game. I have no idea who. He is bad enough on Sportscenter but worse when actually trying to watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Someone must tell them that people prefer Lunardi to seeing the game. I have no idea who. He is bad enough on Sportscenter but worse when actually trying to watch a game.
    Why would you need to see him rather than hear him? I'm okay with having him on, but why does he need to be on the screen?

ESPN is broken.
    Game coverage now is all about focusing on some side show.
    Yes, the “entertainment” sideshows take up a lot of their bball “commentary.” But is this mostly, or at least far worse, when it’s CA and one of his several straight men?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Yes, the “entertainment” sideshows take up a lot of their bball “commentary.” But is this mostly, or at least far worse, when it’s CA and one of his several straight men?
    That bit about Derricks Thompson and Whittenburg was one of the most cringe-worthy things I have heard on air in a really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Corey Alexander! Took me a bit. Maybe all that glue sniffing has had an impact.

Or in Corey’s case, reminding us of the fact that he did indeed play basketball.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Corey was absoutely awful today - going on about PNC, this was The Rivalry before the 90s, and on and on - Insufferable

Did you catch it when CA said he was surprised to see UVA as a projected 3 seed. Then I’m pretty sure he said he thought they should be at least a 2 seed. I’m no expert on tourney seeding but they are #16 in the NET. No doubt they’ve got some good wins but I’m not sure he did his homework.

That bit about Derricks Thompson and Whittenburg was one of the most cringe-worthy things I have heard on air in a really long time.
    **David** Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    **David** Thompson.
    Never heard of him.

I'm biased but I didn't mind Corey A's pushback against the constant ACC bashing. The idea that Duke is ranked behind teams like San Diego State and St. Mary's is ridiculous. No one learned their lesson after trashing the ACC all last year, then the ACC had 3 teams in the elite 8, 2 in the final four, and 1 in the championship game.

Cory Alexander makes me think I may do without sound. Or audio delay with Duke web radio.

Antonelli is awful. I don’t ever want to hear her on the call. And pairing her with Wes Durham makes me cringe. The officials are bad enough. Why do we have to put up with clowns in the announcers’ booth, too?