Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    I love Vitale but he just said that Filipowski does a great job protecting the ball as he drives to the rim... I guess he's never seen his spin move?

Vitale and his counterpart also just went a little over the top in their defense of Lively. The other guy said that if you're the #1 recruit and aren't averaging 19 and 10 at Duke, people say you're a bust. I'm not suggesting we trash Lively or that expectations can't be unfair, but come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    I love Vitale but he just said that Filipowski does a great job protecting the ball as he drives to the rim... I guess he's never seen his spin move?

Vitale and his counterpart also just went a little over the top in their defense of Lively. The other guy said that if you're the #1 recruit and aren't averaging 19 and 10 at Duke, people say you're a bust. I'm not suggesting we trash Lively or that expectations can't be unfair, but come on.
    I use the mute button on Vitale.

In his defense, on that particular play, Flip turned his body to protect his dribble and shot. He didn't use that spin move in traffic today either. I'm hoping he's being coached to not try that move.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    In his defense, on that particular play, Flip turned his body to protect his dribble and shot. He didn't use that spin move in traffic today either. I'm hoping he's being coached to not try that move.

GoDuke!
    haha yeah, on that particular play, Flip did a good job at protecting the ball, but Dickie V seemed to be saying he always does. I was also pleased at the reduced use of the spin move by Flip. He lost it once, but I think it was retrieved by Proctor.

With <3:00 to go in a very close game, the execrable Cory Alexander waxes poetic (he thinks) about his experiences in Tallahassee and Boston- for 2-3 minutes in real time while the game finally interrupts his reverie. Will this incredible bore ever be told to shut up and call the game? I groan every time I hear he’s announcing. He thinks he’s the most interesting man in the world who knows everybody and will tell you so. And to hear of his playing days- he wasn’t half as good as he thinks he was. There is absolutely no sign he will ever get over himself. A trumpian ego!
    Last edited by Ol Guff; 01-23-2023 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Guff View Post
    With <3:00 to go in a very close game, the execrable Cory Alexander waxes poetic (he thinks) about his experiences in Tallahassee and Boston- for 2-3 minutes in real time while the game finally interrupts his reverie. Will this incredible bore ever be told to shut up and call the game? I groan every time I hear he’s announcing. He thinks he’s the most interesting man in the world who knows everybody and will tell you so. And to hear of his playing days- he wasn’t half as good as he thinks he was. There is absolutely no sign he will ever get over himself. A trumpian ego!
    Haha I get it, but he's growing on me. He's as pro-Duke as anybody on TV, and I'm not sure how, given his being a UVA guy. It helps to making a drinking game out of it and take a sip every time he says "my guy" so and so.

Haha I get it, but he's growing on me. He's as pro-Duke as anybody on TV, and I'm not sure how, given his being a UVA guy. It helps to making a drinking game out of it and take a sip every time he says "my guy" so and so.
    Like a fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Like a fungus.
    The Last of Us on HBO says "hello."

I won't say he's growing on me. I still don't like him. But I must admit that it seems like he's toned down some (not all, not even close) of the "it's all about me" stuff in the past couple of games that I have had to endure him. Of course, neither game was a blow out, so it may be just on the backburner.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

To put things in perspective, we could have had Jay Bilas call the game and go off about how it was such a great call that Roach got called for a flop. He'd also make some side comments about how UNC's team still has all the pieces there and will probably win a national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I won't say he's growing on me. I still don't like him. But I must admit that it seems like he's toned down some (not all, not even close) of the "it's all about me" stuff in the past couple of games that I have had to endure him. Of course, neither game was a blow out, so it may be just on the backburner.

9F
    I agree. This thread is filled with my complaints about CA - I really could not stand him. But last night was better. Still plenty of room for improvement but it was much better.

They did need a different producer (or whoever decides what camera shots they are using) - they did a ridiculous amount of crowd shots, particularly of those people in the front row with the bacon outfits. Often times these shots were at the expense of showing something actually happening related to the game or a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree. This thread is filled with my complaints about CA - I really could not stand him. But last night was better. Still plenty of room for improvement but it was much better.

They did need a different producer (or whoever decides what camera shots they are using) - they did a ridiculous amount of crowd shots, particularly of those people in the front row with the bacon outfits. Often times these shots were at the expense of showing something actually happening related to the game or a replay.
    I asked myself out loud if this was the first time ESPN had shot a game at Virginia Tech. Every time the lady stood up, her head was completely in front of the camera.

I asked myself out loud if this was the first time ESPN had shot a game at Virginia Tech. Every time the lady stood up, her head was completely in front of the camera.
    It was great seeing a duke fan celebrating in front of the camera when Proctor hit his late 3-pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    It was great seeing a duke fan celebrating in front of the camera when Proctor hit his late 3-pointer
    Did the Duke fans celebrate by punching a VT fan in the neck?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Did the Duke fans celebrate by punching a VT fan in the neck?
    I am about the most passive person on earth and I came very close to doing that at the ACC final last year when the really obnoxious VT fans surrounding us first started harassing me for supporting Duke then started going after my 6th grader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Guff View Post
    I'm with you all the way even though I never, ever listen to him (I'm in love with my mute button). I think it was the last game that began with some sideline yapper running her mouth and occupying 40% of my screen. I have no idea what she was talking about, but can't possibly see why it was more important than actually showing the friggin' game. For me, anyway, the less "production," the better.

With 9 minutes left in the game and Duke up by 34 points, Childress just said “there’s enough time for a comeback but …”. Sorry that’s just moronic.

Good old Randy!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Good old Randy!
    Although I have heard it before, I did like his Tim Duncan story.

Also, I didn’t realize Tech had a former Amaker assistant from Harvard, and enjoyed hearing about his connections with Flip and Cathings. Also, Pastner’s connections recruiting Scheyer while at Arizona, and Young from the portal last year.

I guess that’s the fun thing about a blowout - announcers have lots of time to share interesting tidbits.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    With 9 minutes left in the game and Duke up by 34 points, Childress just said “there’s enough time for a comeback but …”. Sorry that’s just moronic.
    I think that’s part of their training. Broadcasters are told not use terms like “blowout” or “runaway” as not to entice people to switch the game. It sounds moronic but he’s just doing his job there.