Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    What bothered me last night was how they framed free throw shooting. The basket itself was either off the screen or behind the score. You'd see the player shoot the ball, but not go through the hoop.
    But, but, but WE'RE the on air talent?

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Jay's allegiance has never been to Duke but rather to K. We should not expect his commentary on the Holes to change now that K is gone.
    Then why did he send his daughter to Duke?

UNC, warts and all, is a big-time hoops program. Won't all such programs be fawned over by sports announcers? Of course, fawns with warts don't seem very attractive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Of course, fawns with warts don't seem very attractive to me.
    Doesn't that depend on which fawns and where the warts are?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Then why did he send his daughter to Duke?.
    Marital harmony? His wife is a Duke alum...

Haven't seen it mentioned, but I thought Dickie V did a good job on our game.

It's great to see him come back after serious illness, esp. at his age, and I think his commentary is more restrained, more relevant, and overall better these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Marital harmony? His wife is a Duke alum...
    No doubt in my mind Jay is a Duke basketball fan. I think he has some mantra he chants before every game “I won’t be a homer, I won’t be a homer, …” and he just ends up overcompensating. That’s my theory anyway so I cut him a lot of slack, because he will always be part of the family. And yes, he’s pretty high on himself but so are a lot of Dukies I’ve known over the years…

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

It's great to see him come back after serious illness, esp. at his age, and I think his commentary is more restrained, more relevant, and overall better these days.
    Agreed on all points. Vitale’s schtick got old a long time ago but he did a LOT less of it last night. He was enjoyable to listen to - doesn’t add a ton of insight but he’s a fun dude to (virtually) hang out with and watch the game.

And it was great seeing him back at it after his health issues. Dude has been an amazing ambassador for college hoops for a really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    What bothered me last night was how they framed free throw shooting. The basket itself was either off the screen or behind the score. You'd see the player shoot the ball, but not go through the hoop.
    Yes, that bugged me and don't see why it was done that way. Also, not a huge fan of camera shots so far away from the court.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    “Kill the announcer. Cut his throat. Spill his blood.” You and I shall heretofore be known as Clemnkako. Also your name makes me think you are probably someone who just has 1 name like a Brazilian soccer star.
    "Kill the announcer. Cut his throat. Spill his blood."? Bro, you can be Lord of the Flies on Bilas Island, I'm just on a boat moored offshore. Enjoy your blood pudding!

I'm off to watch World Cup highlights now...

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    "Kill the announcer. Cut his throat. Spill his blood."? Bro, you can be Lord of the Flies on Bilas Island, I'm just on a boat moored offshore. Enjoy your blood pudding!

I'm off to watch World Cup highlights now...

9F
    I didn't get the violent comparisons either. We're just venting and having some clean fun. Or did I miss a sarcasm emoji or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Agreed on all points. Vitale’s schtick got old a long time ago but he did a LOT less of it last night. He was enjoyable to listen to - doesn’t add a ton of insight but he’s a fun dude to (virtually) hang out with and watch the game.

And it was great seeing him back at it after his health issues. Dude has been an amazing ambassador for college hoops for a really long time.
    +1

At first Vitale was a refreshing and excellent color guy, then he got way into this persona and became grating. But his work to raise money to fight cancer cannot be ignored - the guy will do anything to get people to open their wallets for the cause. That brought me back towards liking him. Too many people make their millions and pay only lip service to causes they could really help, but Vitale walked the walk. And like many, I am pulling for him now in his recovery from cancer.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I didn't get the violent comparisons either. We're just venting and having some clean fun. Or did I miss a sarcasm emoji or something?
    It was a reference to the craziest line in Lord of the Flies which Kako told me I was occupying. And yes a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    It was a reference to the craziest line in Lord of the Flies which Kako told me I was occupying. And yes a joke.
    I'm not familiar with that quote so it sounded pretty harsh to me.

I'm not familiar with that quote so it sounded pretty harsh to me.
    Well it definitely was for the pig in the book.

I turned on the TV around 9:30 to see that the Illinois-Texas game had gone into overtime. I've had about enough of that nonsense where they play 2 games on the same court. The first one always goes later than expected. Then, you have to wait for 20 minutes of warmups before the second game starts. The Phil Knight tournament is the only place ever to get that right. I can't imagine viewership is high for a Tuesday night college basketball game that ends around midnight. Either start the first game earlier, use 2 separate arenas, or play the games on 2 different nights.

Finally, when the game started, I was relieved to see the Vitale was calling the game instead of Bilas. He and his counterpart work well together. The other guy (I don't know his name) is always gracious and complimentary of Vitale. Such a contrast to how Bilas is always making little jabs at his co-commentator. I really just have a hard time believing that Bilas attracts anyone to the game. I think Vitale does, or certainly did in his prime. I assume ESPN makes those decisions based on who can bring the most viewers. I'd like to see that stats or internal studies they conducted that led them to deciding to make Bilas the A Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    I turned on the TV around 9:30 to see that the Illinois-Texas game had gone into overtime. I've had about enough of that nonsense where they play 2 games on the same court. The first one always goes later than expected. Then, you have to wait for 20 minutes of warmups before the second game starts. The Phil Knight tournament is the only place ever to get that right. I can't imagine viewership is high for a Tuesday night college basketball game that ends around midnight. Either start the first game earlier, use 2 separate arenas, or play the games on 2 different nights.
    I realize the tournament is to raise money for the V Foundation, but IMO they really went overboard on soliciting donations. Before and after and during every break they hit the audience with the same sales pitch over and over again. It often bled into the game action which I found to be quite annoying. I get the cause and the promotion aspects, but if you're going to contribute you can decide that with much less harsh of a sales tactic. I find that to be counter-productive to their cause.

I realize the tournament is to raise money for the V Foundation, but IMO they really went overboard on soliciting donations. Before and after and during every break they hit the audience with the same sales pitch over and over again. It often bled into the game action which I found to be quite annoying. I get the cause and the promotion aspects, but if you're going to contribute you can decide that with much less harsh of a sales tactic. I find that to be counter-productive to their cause.
    Eh... I sort of understand what you are saying, but it's the entire purpose of those games last night. It's why the teams are there. I'm more than willing to give them a pass for a few hours while trying to showcase a very good cause.

They are welcome to try to sell me a timeshare the whole game as long as I don't have to listen to Jay Bilas.

Dickie V is no doubt a good person but I find it almost unbearable to listen to him. He doesn't really cover what is happening and his self promotion is tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Dickie V is no doubt a good person but I find it almost unbearable to listen to him. He doesn't really cover what is happening and his self promotion is tedious.
    Have to agree with Saratoga on this one. It didn't upset me too much last night because his off-topic nonsense was about raising money for cancer research and you can't be mad about that, but normally it's about who he went to dinner with, his Mount Rushmore, or his books and it really takes away from the game.