Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I think that’s part of their training. Broadcasters are told not use terms like “blowout” or “runaway” as not to entice people to switch the game. It sounds moronic but he’s just doing his job there.
    I understand hype. But it’s not his job to tell the viewers things that are patently untrue. Costs him credibility going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    With 9 minutes left in the game and Duke up by 34 points, Childress just said “there’s enough time for a comeback but …”. Sorry that’s just moronic.
    I missed that comment, but I thought that Childress overall did a good job. He seemed natural, not forced, focused on the game, and made some good observations.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I understand hype. But it’s not his job to tell the viewers things that are patently untrue. Costs him credibility going forward.
    I recall early in the second half Childress commented, "and now Duke is just steamrolling Georgia Tech."

My assumption is that Childress wasn't using his calculator when he made this statement to figure out the Bill James method for finding out when a lead is safe. Technically he was correct in stating that Georgia Tech had time to come back. I do agree it was probably a stupid thing to say. But I like him as a commentator in general.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-of-reach.html

Childress has a different perspective on this type of thing than most people. A 34 point deficit might have been surmountable with him on the court back in the day.

GT just needs to find a Randolph Childress. Easy peasy.

Sorry, but the Reese Davis/Debbie Antonelli pair should never be allowed to call another Duke game. Practically every comment they made was about what Wake needed to do to get back in the game or how important something Wake did was. It felt like I was listening to a Wake Forest home team broadcast team. Debbie has always been anti-Duke women, but has generally been fair about Duke men. Not last night. My wife never wants to turn the sound off, but man I was itching to use the mute button last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Sorry, but the Reese Davis/Debbie Antonelli pair should never be allowed to call another Duke game. Practically every comment they made was about what Wake needed to do to get back in the game or how important something Wake did was. It felt like I was listening to a Wake Forest home team broadcast team. Debbie has always been anti-Duke women, but has generally been fair about Duke men. Not last night. My wife never wants to turn the sound off, but man I was itching to use the mute button last night.
    Also, nether one cared much for the play-by-play role. Multiple times a foul was called and letting us know the “who and why” was blocked by continuation of a random storytelling session.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Also, nether one cared much for the play-by-play role. Multiple times a foul was called and letting us know the “who and why” was blocked by continuation of a random storytelling session.
    Yes, thank you. I meant to include that in my rant, but Debbie's story kept going in my head and I had to just turn it off.

Yes, that was very annoying and disruptive to following the action. I also agree that Antonelli is biased.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Yes, that was very annoying and disruptive to following the action. I also agree that Antonelli is biased.
    She's also got an ego that's as big as the Pacific Ocean.

GoDuke!

Reece Davis had zero enthusiasm last night. Horrible.

Don't be afraid! We welcome you into the Church of the Mute Button, the water is warm, the people are friendly, and you'll no longer have to subject yourself and your loved ones to all that announcing blather!!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Don't be afraid! We welcome you into the Church of the Mute Button, the water is warm, the people are friendly, and you'll no longer have to subject yourself and your loved ones to all that announcing blather!!
    Honestly, I wish I could filter the announcers out and still get the crowd noise. That's really what my wife is after. The excitement of the crowd enhances the game quite a bit, especially when the Crazies are in full voice the way they were last night.

Is this where I go to complain about the ads? Can ESPN not sell ads to anyone other than obvious con artists looking to scam old people? I had to check to make sure I hadn’t accidentally switched over to Fox News.

My favorite was the “eye candy” thing that looks like an etch-o-sketch that you’re supposed to carry around to use as a glorified magnifying glass. As opposed to… y’know… just getting stronger prescription glasses? And then they throw in that supplies are limited to due “supply chain issues” so you better order fast! Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Is this where I go to complain about the ads? Can ESPN not sell ads to anyone other than obvious con artists looking to scam old people? I had to check to make sure I hadn’t accidentally switched over to Fox News.

My favorite was the “eye candy” thing that looks like an etch-o-sketch that you’re supposed to carry around to use as a glorified magnifying glass. As opposed to… y’know… just getting stronger prescription glasses? And then they throw in that supplies are limited to due “supply chain issues” so you better order fast! Ugh.
    I definitely did notice that the ads were consistently for (excuse me Ron Popeil) completely crap products, very little mainstream quality stuff...are the ratings that low for ACC games on ESPN?

Honestly, I wish I could filter the announcers out and still get the crowd noise. That's really what my wife is after. The excitement of the crowd enhances the game quite a bit, especially when the Crazies are in full voice the way they were last night.
    For the college football playoffs, they had some alternate broadcasts available on TV where there were no announcers, but you heard the stadium announcer just like people in the arena. It felt weird to watch on TV that way, but I'd like to try that for a Duke basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

Yeah. Glad I got.my order in last night!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yeah. Glad I got.my order in last night!
    haha I had noticed the commercials were particularly bad last night. The eye candy thing was hilarious. I do like the Progressive ad, though, where the couple disagrees about who was supposed to bring the life jackets, so they throw a challenge flag.

I didn’t think the announcers were that bad. But I wasn’t listening closely so maybe I was just lucky. Rece Davis’ son was a grad transfer on the Duke baseball team last year - I think he had gone to Princeton.

The color guy on the Kentucky-Ole Miss game after ours sounded exactly like Cris Collinsworth - I think his name was Dane Bradshaw.

The cheap ads are really annoying. I would think ESPN could do better for a prime time game on the main network. I often watch the games with my pre-teen boys and some if the ads are a bit awkward. Fortunately there were no Bent Carrot ads last night…

I guess I’m lucky that I’m yelling at the TV too much to notice the announcers.