Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    For the record: I think the anti-Bilas stuff is ridiculous. But keep posting it here!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    For the record: I think the anti-Bilas stuff is ridiculous. But keep posting it here!
    Yes. Please keep the bilious Bilas bias here, and out of other discussions.

Thx!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    To actually " prove " bias, I suppose you would have to quantitate how many instances Bilas's immediately reacted to an error in favor of Duke or its opponent and was subsequently proven wrong. You could then compare the numbers and see how many times he reacted incorrectly to Duke or opponents.
    Exactly, which is what rsvman did so elegantly upthread. I have yet to see data that support the other proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    In last night's broadcast the numbers confirm bias but certainly the sample size is small.
    What numbers are you citing? I continue to see only cherry-picked anecdotes.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Sure, others are arguing from a couple of anecdotes last night. Bilas is going to receive that reaction when he authoritatively states something bad has happened in game play for Duke and is shown to be totally wrong.
    So now you're arguing that the problem with Bilas is that he was wrong once? If that's what you demand from your announcers, you must be pretty unhappy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You’re right, it’s a trigger I probably shouldn’t have. I’ll step out of this topic.

Peace to all, let’s go Duke! 9F UNC.
    This is, I admit, a trigger for me too--as a doc, I am very sensitive to the tendency to cite anecdote as authoritative. It's not. But I'm just repeating myself, so I'll bow out as well. Hey, we just won the ACC Tournament! That's what counts.

This thread is entitled the Annual Announcer Kvetch Thread. For those of you who continue to take issue with the posts criticizing Bilas, what exactly do you want? For those who disagree with you to just be silent? For those who disagree with you to just say you’re right and they’re wrong? If the posts are so bothersome to you, then stop reading them. This is a message board on which people (theoretically) get to state their opinions. And yet it feels like those who are posting criticism of Bilas are being asked to justify it. Is it wrong just to sense or feel something as a basketball fan? Yes some great work has been done to show the number of positive and negative comments Bilas made about Duke and their opponent in a recent game. Does that nullify what others think? Is it possible there’s more to it than just tallies? I don’t love him as an announcer and have stayed out of this because I don’t want to have to justify or explain my opinion. We are all fans of Duke basketball. I don’t know why that means we can’t take issue with things that Bilas says, or doesn’t say in most cases.

They're all Bilas on his undercover DBR accounts that he created to defend himself, Kevin Durant style

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeffrey View Post
    This thread is entitled the Annual Announcer Kvetch Thread. For those of you who continue to take issue with the posts criticizing Bilas, what exactly do you want? For those who disagree with you to just be silent? For those who disagree with you to just say you’re right and they’re wrong? If the posts are so bothersome to you, then stop reading them. This is a message board on which people (theoretically) get to state their opinions. And yet it feels like those who are posting criticism of Bilas are being asked to justify it. Is it wrong just to sense or feel something as a basketball fan? Yes some great work has been done to show the number of positive and negative comments Bilas made about Duke and their opponent in a recent game. Does that nullify what others think? Is it possible there’s more to it than just tallies? I don’t love him as an announcer and have stayed out of this because I don’t want to have to justify or explain my opinion. We are all fans of Duke basketball. I don’t know why that means we can’t take issue with things that Bilas says, or doesn’t say in most cases.
    If you come on here with an opinion that is one thing, when you include a statement of alleged fact that is shown to be untrue, then, yes,you should expect pushback regardless of the thread title. Folks don't have to remain silent in the face of repeated trash being posted. You are entitled to your opinion,but you are not entitled to be called out when you alleged untrue facts.
    "I don't like Bilas" is a valid opinion.
    "Bilas is baised against Duke" is a false statement - not the same thing

Thank you! These are the thought that I, and I venture to guess the majority of posters here, have been thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cherries and nits must be in season, because a whole lot of them are getting picked to criticize Jay last night.
    To be clear for my part, I've never had a big problem with Bilas, and I certainly don't think he's a Duke-hater. But he does talk a lot, and him going speechless mid-sentence as the replay very clearly showed the ball bouncing on the end line was enormously funny.

It's the Kvetch thread. That moment is why this thread exists.

I like bilas as a announcer. I don't always agree with him though. I really didn't like packer or Elmore. Bilas is comforting to me like old school Mike Patrick. Before conference expansion .

Bilas just spent his segment on Sports Center praising Duke and making a case for why our Blue Devils should be seeded higher than the resume- mentioned how young the team is and the injuries as well as how well the offense is playing now to match the defense. Almost sounded like he didn’t hate Duke…

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Bilas just spent his segment on Sports Center praising Duke and making a case for why our Blue Devils should be seeded higher than the resume- mentioned how young the team is and the injuries as well as how well the offense is playing now to match the defense. Almost sounded like he didn’t hate Duke…
    it's vastly overstated here, and as someone who doesn't particularly like bilas for several reasons, it's kind of disgusting how he's torn down here all the time. He loves Duke a lot. It might not show on TV, and that is certainly something that he can be faulted for when it occurs, but the general nature of the discourse around bilas here has become almost as intolerable as the general commentary itself....rising, IMO, to the levels of the cheat scandal before discussion of it was "banned" in unrelated threads.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Exactly, which is what rsvman did so elegantly upthread. I have yet to see data that support the other proposition.

So now you're arguing that the problem with Bilas is that he was wrong once? If that's what you demand from your announcers, you must be pretty unhappy all the time.

This is, I admit, a trigger for me too--as a doc, I am very sensitive to the tendency to cite anecdote as authoritative. It's not. But I'm just repeating myself, so I'll bow out as well. Hey, we just won the ACC Tournament! That's what counts.
    As a fellow doc, I share your distaste for anecdotes masquerading as gospel.

In my previous post I cited two incidences of him being wrong. Bilas quickly and inaccurately claimed Duke had committed a foul where there was not one and also claimed that the ball had changed direction after going past Lively.

I can not find any similar mistakes he made against UVA in the same broadcast. Please correct me if I am wrong. He was also mute when UVA got a favorable no call when the ball was out of bounds resulting in a basket.

I stated that these are just three data points. Because of the small sample size one can not conclude definitively that Bilas is biased in his announcing.

However, I have listened to or attended every Duke game for more years than I want to admit including all of Jay's as a player. I am sure these two are not just two but many.

In my opinion, even if his bias is just a schtick it is obvious and annoying.

I can not find rev's Bilas analysis. Do you know the date of the post?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil
    Sure, others are arguing from a couple of anecdotes last night. Bilas is going to receive that reaction when he authoritatively states something bad has happened in game play for Duke and is shown to be totally wrong.
    This is far from the first time that you have totally misrepresented the opinion of someone with whom you disagree in this thread. It's great that you have your opinion, but perhaps you can consider stopping your tendency to try to dunk on strawman arguments.

Following your reasoning, then why cannot we “take issue” with the criticism of Billas?

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    They're all Bilas on his undercover DBR accounts that he created to defend himself, Kevin Durant style
    I'm not me! I mean him.

Here is what irks us about this. There are a lot of folks on here saying that they only disagree with his style and that he overcorrects and therefore exhibits some bias against Duke. That would be fine, if it were true. What those of us who are annoyed are mostly annoyed by is there are a ton of people calling him a traitor, saying he hates Duke and loves Carolina. So it's all well and good to say that people just have stylistic differences of opinion. But that's not what we're seeing. There are a ton of people calling him a traitor. Or saying he is intentionally biased against Duke. So people on here can say what they want to, but that's not what we are seeing. Look through the in-game threads. Look through a lot of the posts on here. It seems like 100% of the people on here say they don't think Bilas is a traitor. But somehow there sure are a ton of posts calling him that. Also I'm not the others. I won't get tired of arguing this.

Here is what irks us about this. There are a lot of folks on here saying that they only disagree with his style and that he overcorrects and therefore exhibits some bias against Duke. That would be fine, if it were true. What those of us who are annoyed are mostly annoyed by is there are a ton of people calling him a traitor, saying he hates Duke and loves Carolina. So it's all well and good to say that people just have stylistic differences of opinion. But that's not what we're seeing. There are a ton of people calling him a traitor. Or saying he is intentionally biased against Duke. So people on here can say what they want to, but that's not what we are seeing. Look through the in-game threads. Look through a lot of the posts on here. It seems like 100% of the people on here say they don't think Bilas is a traitor. But somehow there sure are a ton of posts calling him that. Also I'm not the others. I won't get tired of arguing this.
    We have a committed crowd of Bilas haters. Hang in there!

-jk

He said nothing about it being the wrong call.
    There was an "um" or "uh-oh" from someone. My own comment would have been bleeped. In fact, Lively pulled his hands back because he thought the ball was going out.

No matter what you think of his announcing style / biases, I can’t give him a pass for his opinion of the decades-long UNC cheating scandal. He basically agreed with UNC’s defense.