Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Annual Announcer Kvetch Thread, 2022-23

We have spent plenty of time here at DBR complaining about Notre Dame having its own football TV contract. Well, it just got worse. Their new broadcast team is Jason Garrett and Jac Collinsworth. I find Jac Collinsworth impossible to listen to. I generally am a fan of his father. But Jac is just painful to listen to - he is trying to be a hipper version of his dad but fails miserably. As someone almost exactly 20 years older than him perhaps I am just not the target demographic. There are numerous children of announcers who turn out to be very good, but he is not one of them. At least not yet.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jason-garre...145100253.html

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    We have spent plenty of time here at DBR complaining about Notre Dame having its own football TV contract. Well, it just got worse. Their new broadcast team is Jason Garrett and Jac Collinsworth. I find Jac Collinsworth impossible to listen to. I generally am a fan of his father. But Jac is just painful to listen to - he is trying to be a hipper version of his dad but fails miserably. As someone almost exactly 20 years older than him perhaps I am just not the target demographic. There are numerous children of announcers who turn out to be very good, but he is not one of them. At least not yet.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jason-garre...145100253.html
    The very good news is that they are announcing for a team in which I have zero interest.

Not sure if there's a better place to link this article, but Doug Gottlieb still counts as an announcer, right?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...atlanta-braves

It appears that Doug was alarmingly inaccurate.

Also, I have a (very faded) autographed baseball signed by Casey Close from when he was a Columbus Clipper so...from when I was ten years old. He was kind of a hometown hero, having grown up in the same suburb that I did. I'll excuse him for having also gone to Michigan (sorry Scott!).

Given the choice, I'm happy about which side ended up having told the truth here. Also, not terribly surprised.

Heard from one of the announcers in a game today, talking about an O-line that has kept its QB from getting sacked this year: "They are having a good modicum of success."

Uncle Fester Sighting

I was in a McDonalds in Lexington this morning when who should walk in but Seth Greenberg. Uncle Fester, himself. Not sure why he's here. Maybe for an interview with Calipari or to cover students camping out for tickets to Big Blue Madness. Unfortunately, neither Jay was with him.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I was in a McDonalds in Lexington this morning when who should walk in but Seth Greenberg. Uncle Fester, himself. Not sure why he's here. Maybe for an interview with Calipari or to cover students camping out for tickets to Big Blue Madness. Unfortunately, neither Jay was with him.
    For a second I thought this post belonged in the barbeque thread. But surely there are barbeque breakfasts in the real Lexington.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Are we still doing this?

Or has Corey Alexander just made all complaining moot, "my guy"?

Have to put a plug in for the ACCN announcer paired with Wes Durham (Woody's son, he hates Duke but is subtle about it). When I say plug, I mean complaint. When the PI call against Wake was retracted he said something in agreement, that it wasn't "egregious" and he thought picking up the flag was the right call. Then later when WF was called for the the roughing PF, hitting Leonard late, he said he disagreed with it. I'd like to know who that MF is and why he's such a WF homer.

out, JWF

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post

Have to put a plug in for the ACCN announcer paired with Wes Durham (Woody's son, he hates Duke but is subtle about it). When I say plug, I mean complaint. When the PI call against Wake was retracted he said something in agreement, that it wasn't "egregious" and he thought picking up the flag was the right call. Then later when WF was called for the the roughing PF, hitting Leonard late, he said he disagreed with it. I'd like to know who that MF is and why he's such a WF homer.

out, JWF
    Roddy Jones. Like Wes, has Ga Tech ties (but not “U”NC). I thought they were highly entertaining most of the game, then I totally agree their biases took over.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Roddy Jones. Like Wes, has Ga Tech ties (but not “U”NC). I thought they were highly entertaining most of the game, then I totally agree their biases took over.
    On the ACCN Football Huddle show I like EJ Manual and Eric Mac Lain, but Mark Richt is the worst Duke hater. After the Duke win today he was just choking and sputtering on saying anything good about Duke. He literally said he'd have to give it a week to see how he feels then about Duke and Elko. I see he's been a player (QB - Miami) and coach for FSU, Georgia and Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    On the ACCN Football Huddle show I like EJ Manual and Eric Mac Lain, but Mark Richt is the worst Duke hater. After the Duke win today he was just choking and sputtering on saying anything good about Duke. He literally said he'd have to give it a week to see how he feels then about Duke and Elko. I see he's been a player (QB - Miami) and coach for FSU, Georgia and Miami.
    Richt has had some significant health issues -- serious heart attack in 2019 and diagnosis of Parkinson's in 2021. Just my opinion, but he seems generally tired and out of sorts in some of his TV appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post

out, JWF
    CA is known in our house as "mah gah," and it's permanent mute button for any game he calls. Inane. Stupid. Incredibly self-centered.

CA is a mush mouth. I love his Easter egg comments, in particular his "I see you, Jerry Roach!"
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    CA is known in our house as "mah gah," and it's permanent mute button for any game he calls. Inane. Stupid. Incredibly self-centered.
    I don't know why people don't use the mute button more...the announcers are buffoons.

Having said that, LOL at the graphics guys yesterday...they couldn't get down and distance right half the time, they had no clue whatsoever. Had to keep track in my head which is always a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't know why people don't use the mute button more...the announcers are buffoons.

Having said that, LOL at the graphics guys yesterday...they couldn't get down and distance right half the time, they had no clue whatsoever. Had to keep track in my head which is always a challenge.
    I often use on-screen closed captioning to see what is said while on mute. Reading the words is often not as bad as hearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Worst down and distance graphics I’ve ever seen on TV. They were generally accurate to 3 yards +-.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Worst down and distance graphics I’ve ever seen on TV. They were generally accurate to 3 yards +-.
    and they'd show first down for a moment, then third down...back and forth..they had no clue whatsoever..

Wes Durham is the worst play-by-play announcer in the history of sports broadcasting. He should not be anywhere near a D-1 athletic event. Maybe, just maybe, he should call D-3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Wes Durham is the worst play-by-play announcer in the history of sports broadcasting. He should not be anywhere near a D-1 athletic event. Maybe, just maybe, he should call D-3 games.
    On the other hand, he just couldn't help who his daddy was.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    This might be the most hyperbolic post in the history of sports posting. Wes might not be great, but there are certainly many others out there that are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    This might be the most hyperbolic post in the history of sports posting...
    I see what you did there...