Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Though I wouldn't say I'm on Bilas Island hunting wild boar with you, I am on a boat floating around it somewhere, from time to time.

I don't get all the extreme Bilas hate, either. He's not the Universe's gift to color commentary, but there are/have been far worse. Dakich tops the list... I was never, ever a fan of Packer... Alexander is impossible to listen to... etc. Bilas does side with UNC at times, but then again at times he has a point. He is pretty much full of himself, though, which is when I take said boat to other shores.

To me, Sparankel is the best Duke color guy out there. But he benefits by almost never calling a Duke game, so Duke fans don't get upset when he says something anti-Duke. I will miss him with Ian Eagle, as that duo was, to me, the best duo in March Madness. They called the game itself, while injecting energy and insight into the game without going over the top.

9F
    “Kill the announcer. Cut his throat. Spill his blood.” You and I shall heretofore be known as Clemnkako. Also your name makes me think you are probably someone who just has 1 name like a Brazilian soccer star.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    “Kill the announcer. Cut his throat. Spill his blood.” You and I shall heretofore be known as Clemnkako. Also your name makes me think you are probably someone who just has 1 name like a Brazilian soccer star.
    I have learned not to swim upstream against Bilas hate. People are entrenched. For their own reasons.

I figure he earned enough goodwill as a player that he would have to do something really unforgivable to fall into dislike for me. Being a somewhat self-absorbed while still self-deprecating announcer doesn't come close to that threshold for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I have learned not to swim upstream against Bilas hate. People are entrenched. For their own reasons.

I figure he earned enough goodwill as a player that he would have to do something really unforgivable to fall into dislike for me. Being a somewhat self-absorbed while still self-deprecating announcer doesn't come close to that threshold for me.
    I feel much the same way. Bilas can be slightly annoying at times, but for the most part, I find him innocuous.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I feel much the same way. Bilas can be slightly annoying at times, but for the most part, I find him innocuous.
    Until they air "94-feet" on split screen during the game. Then, he's insufferable. But that's not really about him, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Until they air "94-feet" on split screen during the game. Then, he's insufferable. But that's not really about him, is it?
    Oh, I must have repressed that. That is super annoying. I don't mind the 94-feet between the action, but once the action starts please don't split my screen.

Oh, I must have repressed that. That is super annoying. I don't mind the 94-feet between the action, but once the action starts please don't split my screen.
    But the people need to see Jay have his shrimp cocktail!

No, but his complete refusal to call out uNC basketball for their institutionalized academic cheating, while at the same time continuing to extol said program as an upper crust example of college basketball, definitely crossed my threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    No, but his complete refusal to call out uNC basketball for their institutionalized academic cheating, while at the same time continuing to extol said program as an upper crust example of college basketball, definitely crossed my threshold.
    To be somewhat fair to Bilas here, NOBODY in the sports media circle would do that, that was a poison pill that nobody was willing to swallow. Like there was some admonishment from a sort of dispassionate persuasion, but nobody would commit to it. In addition to having signification media influence and being something of a sacred cow, I think seeing how the pundits flip flopped on Penn St probably prevented anyone from actually taking a stand on UNC.

I know Cleveland State is glad he wasn’t calling for heads to roll.

When Bilas first started out he was a breath of fresh air calling things as they were. Especially calling out the NCAA. Somewhere, he decided to exchange his walk-on part in the war.

I don’t hate him, but he can bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    To be somewhat fair to Bilas here, NOBODY in the sports media circle would do that, that was a poison pill that nobody was willing to swallow. Like there was some admonishment from a sort of dispassionate persuasion, but nobody would commit to it. In addition to having signification media influence and being something of a sacred cow, I think seeing how the pundits flip flopped on Penn St probably prevented anyone from actually taking a stand on UNC.
    I agree totally. UNC is one of ten or so programs that drive the interest in college hoops on TV.

Just as bad as the split screen is the somewhat new habit of not even showing the inbounds pass, which can matter from time to time. Very artistic of them.

The sports networks are stealing time and screen area shamelessly from live broadcasts.

Well

If only he had boxed out Pervis Ellison in 1986, I would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Ok. I HATE that. Do it during a break!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Ok. I HATE that. Do it during a break!!!!!
    Nobody would watch!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree totally. UNC is one of ten or so programs that drive the interest in college hoops on TV.
    UNC grad. The dishonorable thing was the university not self-imposing penalties. Completely embarrassing and wrong. Jay's point was the NCAA is set up by institutions so that institutions decide what is and isn't punishable. He was correct that once UNC said no academic fraud occurred, the NCAA had no jurisdiction to punish. I am embarrassed the university didn't do what they should have. My buddies who are actually UNC grads agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Being too cowardly to call them out is one thing. Repeatedly going out of your way to let everyone know over and over that the NCAA has no jurisdiction here (We get it, you're a lawyer) was gross. His mentioning that the academic fraud was bad was an afterthought. It's compounded by the fact that he acts like he's a moral authority on everything - he's always quick to go after the NCAA when they hammer a player too harshly for impermissible benefits, he implied that Boeheim was a racist for suggesting that Duke was better without Jalen Johnson. He pulled a complete Lebron-Defense of China move when all he could focus on was the NCAA having no jurisdiction.

When asked to explain why UNC is struggling, he just said that they've been banged up and have had a tough schedule. What!? They struggled with their cupcakes, lost to an unranked team, lost to #18, and haven't played a top 10 team until tonight. UNC is struggling because their defense sucks, Bacot is underperforming, and Caleb Love and RJ Davis have always shot an atrocious shooting % except for when they play Duke or their tournament run last year.

Ok I'm done... Until he enrages me in the second half. Hopefully UNC will come out in their horn set so he can point that out to my ignorant butt.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Just as bad as the split screen is the somewhat new habit of not even showing the inbounds pass...
    Intolerably maddening. Why can't some genius devise a "thingy" to coordinate tv broadcast with radio. I've lost life expectancy yelling "Show the game!!"
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Jay's allegiance has never been to Duke but rather to K. We should not expect his commentary on the Holes to change now that K is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I've lost life expectancy yelling "Show the game!!"
    What bothered me last night was how they framed free throw shooting. The basket itself was either off the screen or behind the score. You'd see the player shoot the ball, but not go through the hoop.