Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
Results 781 to 792 of 792
  1. #781
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The detractors will probably acknowledge that he is an in studio personality. It is the further definition that gets dicey.
    Agreed. Sorry. I have a spotty connection today. Getting my Jay Bilas tramp stamp touched up.

  2. #782
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    See the comments on his tweet where he gets called out for being a homer. I guess you just can't win no matter what.

  3. #783
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    See the comments on his tweet where he gets called out for being a homer. I guess you just can't win no matter what.
    Nobody remembers the constant adulation that Vitale bestowed upon Dean Smith or Roy Williams, or John Calipari, or Rick Pitino or Jim Calhoun or pretty much any coach with a successful career, they only remember that he loved Duke and Coach K.
    Those same goofs will never listen to Bilas the way posters at DBR or TDD do (which is also unbalanced at times), they'll only remember the times he picked Duke to win and say LOL WHAT A HOMER.

    If there's one thing I do find fault with Bilas for, and he wasn't the only one, was setting the template for being the apologetic Duke alumni, player, fan. I get that at the time he was trying to ingratiate himself to a casual audience that in general hated Duke more than loved another team, but it stuck. And it carried over to Seth Davis, and Jay Williams, and even Shane Battier to a degree. I don't recall Redick being sorry for being a former Duke player, but he definitely got grief anytime he tried to defend them.
    I'm so weary of it. I like Duke and I really don't give a wanker if others have a problem with it or not. Thats on them.

  4. #784
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of Travis County
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The detractors will probably acknowledge that he is an in studio personality. It is the further definition that gets dicey.
    I'm just choosing to reply to this particular post instead of the 4-5 others all chortling over this as evidence that somehow contradicts Bilas coming off during in-game broadcasts as a uNC homer, but y'all need to please find any evidence of any of us who find Bilas' in-game commentary to be preposterous also going on to conclude that Bilas hates Duke (or that we hate Bilas, for that matter).

  5. #785
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for posting. We gripe about announcers but there is some quality work represented here.

    But...Kenny Smith?
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Inexplicable. Bumbling fool
    Well, it is an entertainment award, not an award for presenting coherent thoughts.

    I think Kenny Smith is a longshot to win, but if he did, he would be the latest in a line of Emmy-winning "bumbling fool" performers:

    Don Adams, "Get Smart" (1967, 1968, 1969)
    Ted Knight, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1973, 1976)
    John Ritter, "Three's Company" (1984)
    Michael Richards, "Seinfeld" (1993, 1994, 1997)
    John Lithgow, "3rd Rock from the Sun" (1996, 1997, 1999)

  6. #786
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, it is an entertainment award, not an award for presenting coherent thoughts.

    I think Kenny Smith is a longshot to win, but if he did, he would be the latest in a line of Emmy-winning "bumbling fool" performers:

    Don Adams, "Get Smart" (1967, 1968, 1969)
    Ted Knight, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1973, 1976)
    John Ritter, "Three's Company" (1984)
    Michael Richards, "Seinfeld" (1993, 1994, 1997)
    John Lithgow, "3rd Rock from the Sun" (1996, 1997, 1999)
    Kenny is just acting the bumbling fool?

    What a convincing portrayal.

  7. #787
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Kenny is just acting the bumbling fool?

    What a convincing portrayal.
    Everybody plays the fool

  8. #788
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Everybody plays the fool
    sometime

  9. #789
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Everybody plays the fool
    Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    sometime
    This is quality. The Main Ingredient of posting, if you will.
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.

  10. #790
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is quality. The Main Ingredient of posting, if you will.
    impressive stuff!

  11. #791
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is quality. The Main Ingredient of posting, if you will.
    Sometimes it keeps me Spinning Around.


  12. #792
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Kenny is just acting the bumbling fool?

    What a convincing portrayal.
    It's better than you think. Since he actually IS a fool, he is only acting as though he's acting the fool.

Similar Threads

  1. Annual Announcer Kvetch Thread, 2021-22
    By kako in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 344
    Last Post: 07-30-2022, 12:51 PM
  2. 2017-2018 Announcer Thread
    By MChambers in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-31-2018, 11:31 PM
  3. 2016-2017 Announcer Thread
    By MChambers in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 03-26-2017, 11:15 PM
  4. 2015-2016 Announcer Thread
    By MChambers in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM
  5. Unofficial 2014-15 Announcer Thread
    By MChambers in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 245
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •