Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    No one gets under my skin like Jay Bilas. I could list about 100 reasons why. Corey Alexander has always frustrated me, but he grew on me a bit this week. It also helps that he's very pro-Duke and pro-Coach K. I'm getting the idea that he's pro-everybody, but that's ok too.

I liked seeing Wojo on the halftime show. He seems to offer good insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    No one gets under my skin like Jay Bilas. I could list about 100 reasons why. Corey Alexander has always frustrated me, but he grew on me a bit this week. It also helps that he's very pro-Duke and pro-Coach K. I'm getting the idea that he's pro-everybody, but that's ok too.

I liked seeing Wojo on the halftime show. He seems to offer good insights.
    I値l take Corey 100 times over Bilas. Bilas is the worst announcer in the history of announcers, and easily the most anti-Duke, pro-UNC announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I値l take Corey 100 times over Bilas. Bilas is the worst announcer in the history of announcers, and easily the most anti-Duke, pro-UNC announcer.
    Agreed. And of course we're all biased towards Duke, but I don't need someone to be pro-Duke. A truly neutral broadcaster is fine, and I feel like most of them do a good job at that. Bilas thinks he's neutral, but he's so pro-UNC. Anytime they have a top team, he talks all year about how great they are. He said "there's no weakness" about UNC this year. I wonder if he would like to revise that statement.

The good news for sports fans is that just about every game is televised...which is also the bad news since they have to beat the bushes to find announcers for all these games.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The good news for sports fans is that just about every game is televised...which is also the bad news since they have to beat the bushes to find announcers for all these games.
    We get O’Brien/Vitale Wed night.

My fav, Dan Bonner, gets Clemson on Tues. I like Jon Crispin, too, who gets Miami on Wed. Don’t think Gminski’s doing any of these. Not sure why not.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    We get O達rien/Vitale Wed night.
    Shot every time Vitale says Diaper Dandy? We will all be passed out by the first tv timeout.

I am very glad he is doing better and able to broadcast games again.

We get O’Brien/Vitale Wed night.

My fav, Dan Bonner, gets Clemson on Tues. I like Jon Crispin, too, who gets Miami on Wed. Don’t think Gminski’s doing any of these. Not sure why not.
    That's fantastic. Vitale is definitely my favorite. Sure, he's kind of annoying, but you love him anyway. I thought it was crappy years ago, when they moved him to the B-games and let Bilas do the A-games. I think the biggest shame is that he doesn't get to call the Duke-UNC games anymore. Look at the historic endings to those games. The 95 game when Capel hit his shot (I know that wasn't the ending, but that's where I stop watching). The Austin Rivers shot. Vitale loses his mind because the moment called for it. Go rewatch the ending to the game where Tre Jones missed the free throw on purpose and Wendell Moore hit the winner. Bilas gives a very subdued, monotone, "yes... Duke wins." <insert barf emoji here>

Does Gminski still broadcast? He was never an ESPN guy, though, right? He was ABC or CBS?

Does Gminski still broadcast? He was never an ESPN guy, though, right? He was ABC or CBS?
    Yes, still calling games, maybe only occasionally? Saw him once this season, probably Delaware game. Probably a Raycom guy. If so, maybe he’ll do some ACCN games, as there’s some sort of ACCN-Raycom deal, I think.

Agreed. And of course we're all biased towards Duke, but I don't need someone to be pro-Duke. A truly neutral broadcaster is fine, and I feel like most of them do a good job at that. Bilas thinks he's neutral, but he's so pro-UNC. Anytime they have a top team, he talks all year about how great they are. He said "there's no weakness" about UNC this year. I wonder if he would like to revise that statement.
    This is the PERFECT spot for this! I am the only occupant on Bilas Island and I recognize everyone hates him. But sweet Jesus I wish people would just post about how much they despise him here. It is suuuuuuper annoying to have to read anti-Bilas stuff during the game. But this thread is literally the perfect spot for people to say anything they want about the announcers they hate. And I support sports hate. Completely down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    This is the PERFECT spot for this! I am the only occupant on Bilas Island and I recognize everyone hates him. But sweet Jesus I wish people would just post about how much they despise him here. It is suuuuuuper annoying to have to read anti-Bilas stuff during the game. But this thread is literally the perfect spot for people to say anything they want about the announcers they hate. And I support sports hate. Completely down with it.
    haha I will certainly continue to post it here, but I can fully understanding having to air that out during the game too. Growing up, it drove my entire family crazy how my dad would start nickpicking and yelling about all the things the announcers said when Duke was losing. I have 100% become my father. When Duke played Kansas, I was furious over every single thing Bilas said. It started in the first 30 seconds of the game when he had to let you know Duke was in their horns set, so you can be sure to know how much he knows about basketball.

haha I will certainly continue to post it here, but I can fully understanding having to air that out during the game too. Growing up, it drove my entire family crazy how my dad would start nickpicking and yelling about all the things the announcers said when Duke was losing. I have 100% become my father. When Duke played Kansas, I was furious over every single thing Bilas said. It started in the first 30 seconds of the game when he had to let you know Duke was in their horns set, so you can be sure to know how much he knows about basketball.
    I get it. I have irrational hate too (Screw Lebo). And that's fine for them to say it as long as they don't mind me fawning all over him to annoy them. Or they can just post it in this thread. Their call!

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Who knows what goes on inside of someone's head, but Bilas is obviously over-compensating for having been a Duke player. By being anti-Duke and pro-UNC he must be playing out some backwards logic which is intended to engraciate himself to all the Duke haters out there. Its as if he's auditioning for some position and he has these talking points all cued up in his mind and he must get them all in for each game he covers.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Who knows what goes on inside of someone's head, but Bilas is obviously over-compensating for having been a Duke player. By being anti-Duke and pro-UNC he must be playing out some backwards logic which is intended to engraciate himself to all the Duke haters out there. Its as if he's auditioning for some position and he has these talking points all cued up in his mind and he must get them all in for each game he covers.
    I don't pay that much attention to Bias because I love my mute button, but yes, there is some overcompensating going on, I'm assuming because his boss as he was ascending the announcing ranks was coke sniffing tarheel Johnny Skipper.
    Even Homer Simpson knows you have to please your boss.

Yes, still calling games, maybe only occasionally? Saw him once this season, probably Delaware game. Probably a Raycom guy. If so, maybe he値l do some ACCN games, as there痴 some sort of ACCN-Raycom deal, I think.
    Gminski only does RSN games (which are produced by Raycom for the Regional Sports Networks). He is not an ESPN employee. Raycom does some production work for ACCN, but does not supply talent.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Bilas delves into officiating way too much, in my opinion. Is it really necessary to tell us what he thinks about every other call the entire game?

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Gminski only does RSN games (which are produced by Raycom for the Regional Sports Networks).
    Thanks for info. This must mean Gminski won稚 be doing any more Duke games this season, as goduke.com lists no more RSN games for Duke this season. But I guess he値l be doing some RSN games involving other ACC teams.

Unfortunately NBA only. Hubie Brown the best. Vic Bubas assistant at Duke. JJ Redick is very good as well. Watched Duke women. Stephanie White is best announcer for Women's hoops. Former Purdue player under Carolyn Peck. Beat Duke finals 1999.She called two Duke games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTnfBhO27KY

I don't like Vitale or Bill Rafferty. I will take Jim Spanarkel.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Bilas delves into officiating way too much, in my opinion. Is it really necessary to tell us what he thinks about every other call the entire game?
    "that's a foul!" repeat throughout the game...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    "that's a foul!" repeat throughout the game...
    It ties into his being a lawyer and also his apparent desire to be a league administrator.

I am also baffled by how he abstains from predicting the outcome of the game on College Gameday if he is going to be calling the game. Why? You're not refereeing the game. You have no impact on it. It's just his attempt to appear virtuous and creates an imaginary ethical issue where there is none.'

Also, his attempts at self-deprecating humor seem so forced that it makes me think his ego is so massive.