Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    I am also baffled by how he abstains from predicting the outcome of the game on College Gameday if he is going to be calling the game. Why? You're not refereeing the game. You have no impact on it. It's just his attempt to appear virtuous and creates an imaginary ethical issue where there is none.'

Also, his attempts at self-deprecating humor seem so forced that it makes me think his ego is so massive.
    Yes, the self-deprecating humor is formulaic and you may be right that its a shield for his huge ego.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    It ties into his being a lawyer and also his apparent desire to be a league administrator.
    I’m not sure if these things are related but I always assumed Jay has an innate desire to make basketball literally zero fun. Because that’s how he commentates on the sport.

Yes! Get it out if your system! Love it! I very much feel like Lardass Hogan here!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yes! Get it out if your system! Love it! I very much feel like Lardass Hogan here!
    speaking of which, did you have Big Meat last night?

The Frank Jackson incident was my breaking point with Bilas and I subconsciously dropped the L from his name, before, he was somewhat grating and it definitely came across like he wanted to paint Duke as the antagonist for entertainment purposes, but it was never as blatant as that. I've never ever ever heard an annoucer scream "HE FAKED IT, HE FAKED IT!!!!" when a player got a legit injury. Never once. Until Bilas.

I'm sure Bilas the person loves Duke and the basketball program, I honestly don't doubt that. Bilas the announcer is a cartoon villain and I don't have time for his buffoonery.

Loved the story that came out recently. Apparently, when the Grayson Allen tripping drama was going on, Bilas had been critical of Allen and called for a suspension, which was fair and completely called for. K, of course, didn't like that. Bilas showed up at Duke one day, walked in the gym, and K turned around without acknowledging him and walked away. They had to arrange a "sit-down," mafia style, to work through things. One of the rare moments where Bilas was actually being fair and unbiased, but I love that he had to pay the price anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    The Frank Jackson incident was my breaking point with Bilas and I subconsciously dropped the L from his name, before, he was somewhat grating and it definitely came across like he wanted to paint Duke as the antagonist for entertainment purposes, but it was never as blatant as that. I've never ever ever heard an annoucer scream "HE FAKED IT, HE FAKED IT!!!!" when a player got a legit injury. Never once. Until Bilas.

I'm sure Bilas the person loves Duke and the basketball program, I honestly don't doubt that. Bilas the announcer is a cartoon villain and I don't have time for his buffoonery.
    I don't remember that and couldn't find anything on YouTube. What happened? Frank Jackson was hurt on the court, and Bilas was yelling that he was faking an injury?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    speaking of which, did you have Big Meat last night?
    I did! 18ox Ribeye and delicious brussel sprouts. Great recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    I don't remember that and couldn't find anything on YouTube. What happened? Frank Jackson was hurt on the court, and Bilas was yelling that he was faking an injury?
    I can't remember who the opponent was (maybe UNC?) anyway, Frank Jackson caught an elbow in the face either going for a rebound, or something of that nature. The elbow was inadvertent but Jackson hit the deck. At this time, Bilas, for some reason that will never be clear to me, decided he wanted to be a WWE announcer and declare that Frank Jackson faked getting hit in the face. When Jackson got up, he was bleeding from the mouth. It wasn't too severe and they cleaned him, but Bilas' reaction just made no sense to me, screaming "HE FAKED IT, HE FAKED IT" when this actually happened live. Replay showed that Jackson did indeed get popped, and didn't fake it. Bilas barely acknowledged this and from that point became a clown to me.

Now I have no problem when the announcers point out if a player is trying to draw a foul or a flag, and they say "hmmm, looks like a bit of an acting job maybe" but this is typically during the replay so they can actually see what developed. I've never heard an announcer scream, as the play was live, that a player faked an injury. Had Bilas done this toward any other team, the Deadspins of the world would have clowned him.

I did! 18ox Ribeye and delicious brussel sprouts. Great recommendation!
    Wow. That's a LOT of ox ribeye!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow. That's a LOT of ox ribeye!
    I would eat an ox. There is no self depreciation here. I can eat better and more than all of you.

Duke Basketball Report has a nice ring to it. It really does. But a change to I Hate Bilas would probably triple the visits to this site.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Duke Basketball Report has a nice ring to it. It really does. But a change to I Hate Bilas would probably triple the visits to this site.
    Nah, I think with K retired, some (not all) of the Duke Super Villain of CBB narrative will diminish to some degree. I mean, Duke will still be the most hated team, but I think the announcers will not grief the team and Scheyer as much until he at least gets established as a success. Its going to come off as incredibly mean spirited and petty if it continues as before.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    If someone would like to produce an I Hate Bilas documentary in the style of the Christian Laettner doc, I would be happy to be interviewed.

Wes Durham, reacting to Clemson committing a foul away from the basket when up 6 in the final 15 seconds, “reasoned” that he was okay with it because Penn State would shoot free throws and then Clemson would get a chance to get the ball back. Dan Bonner politely disagreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Wes Durham, reacting to Clemson committing a foul away from the basket when up 6 in the final 15 seconds, “reasoned” that he was okay with it because Penn State would shoot free throws and then Clemson would get a chance to get the ball back. Dan Bonner politely disagreed.
    I watched the end of the Clemson game and Bonner corrected little Woody several times. Durham spends so much time (like his dad) in repeating where a kid went to high school that he loses track of the game flow. And talks incessantly.

On the positive side, it's college basketball season and Billy Packer is still retired.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    On the positive side, it's college basketball season and Billy Packer is still retired.
    Something we can all agree on. Also I sneaky hate Wake Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    ...the Duke Super Villain of CBB narrative will diminish to some degree... Its going to come off as incredibly mean spirited and petty if it continues as before.
    No way. Now the gloating will become symphonic when we stumble
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

This is the PERFECT spot for this! I am the only occupant on Bilas Island and I recognize everyone hates him. But sweet Jesus I wish people would just post about how much they despise him here. It is suuuuuuper annoying to have to read anti-Bilas stuff during the game. But this thread is literally the perfect spot for people to say anything they want about the announcers they hate. And I support sports hate. Completely down with it.
    Though I wouldn't say I'm on Bilas Island hunting wild boar with you, I am on a boat floating around it somewhere, from time to time.

I don't get all the extreme Bilas hate, either. He's not the Universe's gift to color commentary, but there are/have been far worse. Dakich tops the list... I was never, ever a fan of Packer... Alexander is impossible to listen to... etc. Bilas does side with UNC at times, but then again at times he has a point. He is pretty much full of himself, though, which is when I take said boat to other shores.

To me, Sparankel is the best Duke color guy out there. But he benefits by almost never calling a Duke game, so Duke fans don't get upset when he says something anti-Duke. I will miss him with Ian Eagle, as that duo was, to me, the best duo in March Madness. They called the game itself, while injecting energy and insight into the game without going over the top.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.