Need some help, team DBR - kid stuff

My wife’s best friend will be in Chapel Hill for her son’s graduation from UNC (Exec MBA). She and her husband will be looking after her 7 year granddaughter and she is looking for stuff to do.

Can you please give me some suggestions to pass on? Museums, zoos, etc. I have never been in the Triangle needing that sort of info.

Appreciated!
    Last edited by duke74; 08-14-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Ten years ago when we were down there for reunion we took my older son to the childrens museum in Raleigh (it is a play space, not a museum) and it was great, though she might be on the older end of the age range for that.

Also maybe lemurs at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Yup.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Museum of Life & Science in Durham, with lots to do both inside and inside, including one of the best butterfly houses in the country. Inside exhibits are interactive, and the outside includes a petting zoo, the train ride, more exotic animals, and of course lots of dinosaurs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Museum of Life & Science in Durham, with lots to do both inside and inside, including one of the best butterfly houses in the country. Inside exhibits are interactive, and the outside includes a petting zoo, the train ride, more exotic animals, and of course lots of dinosaurs.
    This is the best recommendation for taking a 7yo. Very enjoyable and educational place for adults and kids alike.

Morehead Planetarium

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Ten years ago when we were down there for reunion we took my older son to the childrens museum in Raleigh (it is a play space, not a museum) and it was great, though she might be on the older end of the age range for that.

Highly recommend Duke Lemur Center. Advance reservations are required.

As a former 7 yo I will third the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. It will also be considerably closer than Marbles (the name of the children's museum/play space suggested by CNC) although both are supposed to be excellent (have never been to Marbles so can't speak from experience but I think I would tend to favor the Life and Science museum, lots of cool interactive stuff plus animals and various other things).

Morehead Planetarium mentioned by jdk is also very cool, but would involve a lot of sitting so depends a bit on the interests of the 7yo (I've also only ever been there on field trips, so I don't know how the experience for regular visitors might differ).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    As a former 7 yo I will third the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. It will also be considerably closer than Marbles (the name of the children's museum/play space suggested by CNC) although both are supposed to be excellent (have never been to Marbles so can't speak from experience but I think I would tend to favor the Life and Science museum, lots of cool interactive stuff plus animals and various other things).
    Marbles is great, but it's over in Raleigh and it is really aimed at the smaller crowd. A 7-year-old will still have fun, but typically would be on the upper edge of the target age range. Life and Science really does have something for everyone, and is a more-rounded experience IMO.

Absolutely co-sign the Durham Museum of Life & Science. The one Triangle area must-do for a 7-year-old. If staying strictly in the Durham/Chapel Hill area, the Durham Museum of Life & Science is a must. The Lemur Center comes in second and is a truly unique experience.

Aside from that, there are various trampoline parks in the area that provide some generic fun.

Depending on how much time and how far you're willing to travel, the Carolina Tiger Rescue in Pittsboro can be fun. It's small, so it's no more than a ~hour long activity. So if you want to combine it with something you could swing by S&T's Soda Shoppe in Downtown Pittsboro you can have an old-timey shake.

Take the kid to Duke Chapel....Cameron Indoor, anywhere outside of chapel hill
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese