Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I’ve never needed a lawyer, been arrested twice but opted to plead guilty mainly because I was guilty.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’ve never needed a lawyer, been arrested twice but opted to plead guilty mainly because I was guilty.
    Sounds like a story or two!

-jk

I’ve been arrested but have no convictions.

Quote Originally Posted by HooDevil View Post
    I’m a recovering lawyer now for 32 years. It was good to me for 20, but I don’t miss billing, recording time, hustling business and having to cram long hours to become an expert for a meeting on a subject I’d never encountered before.
    I've heard this from a few lawyers... especially partners in a law firm. Some went to other work, others went on to their own sole-prop law practice.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    You and Bob need to share!

Closest I got was for jumping onto the field at a Durham Bulls game.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Closest I got was for jumping onto the field at a Durham Bulls game.
    With or without clothes?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With or without clothes?
    Yes.

We will get you next time. That's what I'm doing here. Biding my time until you make a mistake on DBR. Then we've got you.

I'm a bit opinionated since my wife went to law school.

So, you've never created a will or a trust, purchased a house, or settled an estate?

I've worked with a number of lawyers, some of whom were the most ethical people I've known, and at least one who should never have been granted a law license, but I've never been arrested.

However, I'm sure there are a few people who think I should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    We will get you next time. That's what I'm doing here. Biding my time until you make a mistake on DBR. Then we've got you.
    When you inevitably do, it won’t be for cruising in the left lane. I just paid a $242.00 photo radar speeding ticket last week. ��

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Even the short version of my acquittal is too long but the gist of it is that I was arrested for disorderly conduct as a witness (really!) to a parking lot brawl after a college football game. Police were called and I identified one of the instigators who had thrown a brick that hit the car I was in. Several of the brawlers were detained and handcuffed but the one I ID’d kept swearing he didn’t do anything. I called him a ****ing liar (maybe more than once) and was promptly handcuffed and taken to jail with the rest of them where I had to spend the night. In the next several days charges were dropped or diversions were offered for all the brawlers, but not me. I was either pleading guilty or going to trial. Here’s where the good lawyer part comes in. My friends and I had become gameday compatriots of sorts with a well known local defense attorney who had season tickets just behind ours. He heard the story, thought it was hilarious and offered to represent me for fun. At trial the police officer flat out lied, said I was drunk and reeked of alcohol which was absolutely not true. I was a young litigation associate at the time and had spent the day at the office, planning also to spend a good bit of Sunday there, so had not been drinking at all (more on weekend work below). On cross he conceded that the person I yelled at was handcuffed and flanked by 2 officers at the time. Because an element of the statute I was charged with requires that the conduct be reasonably likely to provoke an immediate physical retaliation, the judge granted a judgment of acquittal after the prosecution rested.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program/thread topic.

Quote Originally Posted by HooDevil View Post
    I’m a recovering lawyer now for 32 years. It was good to me for 20, but I don’t miss billing, recording time, hustling business and having to cram long hours to become an expert for a meeting on a subject I’d never encountered before.
    When I left private practice to go work for the government I remember waking up on the first Saturday with this incredible feeling of “oh my god, there’s nothing I have to do- or feel guilty for not doing- today.” That was in 1990, but I still have nightmares that I’ve gone back to work for the old firm but suddenly realize I haven’t turned in a time sheet in months. In my dream I tell myself it’s ok, that I can just quit. Then I wake up with the omg feeling again that I don’t work there anymore!

Even the short version of my acquittal is too long but the gist of it is that I was arrested for disorderly conduct as a witness (really!) to a parking lot brawl after a college football game. Police were called and I identified one of the instigators who had thrown a brick that hit the car I was in. Several of the brawlers were detained and handcuffed but the one I ID’d kept swearing he didn’t do anything. I called him a ****ing liar (maybe more than once) and was promptly handcuffed and taken to jail with the rest of them where I had to spend the night. In the next several days charges were dropped or diversions were offered for all the brawlers, but not me. I was either pleading guilty or going to trial. Here’s where the good lawyer part comes in. My friends and I had become gameday compatriots of sorts with a well known local defense attorney who had season tickets just behind ours. He heard the story, thought it was hilarious and offered to represent me for fun. At trial the police officer flat out lied, said I was drunk and reeked of alcohol which was absolutely not true. I was a young litigation associate at the time and had spent the day at the office, planning also to spend a good bit of Sunday there, so had not been drinking at all (more on weekend work below). On cross he conceded that the person I yelled at was handcuffed and flanked by 2 officers at the time. Because an element of the statute I was charged with requires that the conduct be reasonably likely to provoke an immediate physical retaliation, the judge granted a judgment of acquittal after the prosecution rested.

So this is just a great story! I already liked you but I like you way more after that. You only called the guy that threw the brick an effing liar because he was an effing liar. The fault is with him. He should have tried to not be an effing liar. And then the cop was an effing liar. You should have stood up and yelled that at him during the trial. I assume that would have gone over well.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm a bit opinionated since my wife went to law school.
    This could go either way though. 🤫

I've said it in other threads, but perhaps this is the thread most applicable to this thought: if you aren't a lawyer, you need to spell that mess out. Don't abbreviate it. Just tell everyone you aren't a lawyer. Again, no abbreviations.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    So, you've never created a will or a trust, purchased a house, or settled an estate?

I've worked with a number of lawyers, some of whom were the most ethical people I've known, and at least one who should never have been granted a law license, but I've never been arrested.

However, I'm sure there are a few people who think I should have been.
    Needing a lawyer is one thing that surprised me in NC when I bought a house last year here. In Nevada, no need at all for one and I really didn’t even see the point here in NC. I never really interacted with them. Just sent them the wire and signed my papers there. Weird process.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post

I have used a lawyer for several things. My post was tongue-in-cheek except for the being arrested twice and pleading guilty. That’s the truth.
    Bob Green

I have used a lawyer for several things. My post was tongue-in-cheek except for the being arrested twice and pleading guilty. That’s the truth.
    Was one of the times you were detained because you were in a fight in the parking lot after a football game and you chucked a brick at a car, and this crazy lady screamed at you in front of the cops?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Was one of the times you were detained because you were in a fight in the parking lot after a football game and you chucked a brick at a car, and this crazy lady screamed at you in front of the cops?
    Nope.
    Bob Green

Nope.
    How can I trust you though? Miss Finch said you would lie.

When you inevitably do, it won’t be for cruising in the left lane. I just paid a $242.00 photo radar speeding ticket last week. ��

When I left private practice to go work for the government I remember waking up on the first Saturday with this incredible feeling of “oh my god, there’s nothing I have to do- or feel guilty for not doing- today.” That was in 1990, but I still have nightmares that I’ve gone back to work for the old firm but suddenly realize I haven’t turned in a time sheet in months. In my dream I tell myself it’s ok, that I can just quit. Then I wake up with the omg feeling again that I don’t work there anymore!
    Have you visited the punchable offense thread? You might have material to contribute there.