Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Matsuyama out of the first tournament

Matsuyama withdrew from the St. Jude Classic. Hard to tell if this is a one week thing. He is ranked 11th so almost surely would make the next two events.

I'm not going to take a chance and am going to switch Matsuyama for Horschel. The rest of my team remains the same.

Commish mkirsh - let me know if this is permissible. I assume it is any time before the first shot is hit.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Those extra 2 points... they are just there to make my failure all the more ignominious, aren't they?

Rory McIlroy - 8
    Patrick Cantlay - 7
    Sam Burns - 5
    Billy Horschell - 4
    Cameron Young - 4
    Hideki Matsuyama - 4

Winning score $16,754,563
    Dropping Matsuyama.

My new team:

Rory McIlroy - 8
    Patrick Cantlay - 7
    Sam Burns - 5
    Jordan Spieth - 5
    Cameron Young - 4
    Max Homa - 3
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My team for the FedEx playoffs. Taking advantage of the extra 2 points to pick a bunch of big guns.

Scottie Scheffler -10
    Justin Thomas - 6
    Matt Fitzpatrick - 6
    Will Zalatoris - 5
    Tony Finau - 5

Tie Breaker: Sun Studios Tour by a hair over the Peabody Ducks
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Rory 8
    Schauffele 7
    J. Thomas 6
    Finau 5
    Horschel 4

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    6. Your final score is based on the total money won by all the players on your team across all three events, including FedEx prize money which is the purse for the Tour Championship.
    Those extra 2 points... they are just there to make my failure all the more ignominious, aren't they?

Rory McIlroy - 8
    Patrick Cantlay - 7
    Sam Burns - 5
    Billy Horschell - 4
    Cameron Young - 4
    Hideki Matsuyama - 4

Winning score $16,754,563
    Well, you've already come in last on the "tiebreaker" since the winner gets an $18,000,000 bonus.

Just think...Cam Smith has already made about $10M this year. If he wins the Cup, he'll surpass $30M from Tour purses alone. Yet it still wasn't enough.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

McIlroy 8
    Cantlay 7
    Schauffele 7
    Fitzpatrick 6
    Smalley 2
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Well, you've already come in last on the "tiebreaker" since the winner gets an $18,000,000 bonus.

Just think...Cam Smith has already made about $10M this year. If he wins the Cup, he'll surpass $30M from Tour purses alone. Yet it still wasn't enough.
    That's a lot, but the rumor is that he was offered $100 million.

If the $100 million offer is true, how could he refuse? That money sets up his whole family for life and into subsequent generations. The future doesn't guarantee continued success for any golfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    If the $100 million offer is true, how could he refuse? That money sets up his whole family for life and into subsequent generations. The future doesn't guarantee continued success for any golfer.
    I'd consider my whole family pretty set at $30 million, personally. Frankly, my mind doesn't see a lot of practical differences starting at around $10 million and up. Maybe I'm just too used to the pauper's life of an academic.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'd consider my whole family pretty set at $30 million, personally. Frankly, my mind doesn't see a lot of practical differences starting at around $10 million and up. Maybe I'm just too used to the pauper's life of an academic.
    Cam already has career earnings of almost $27M. So he could be pushing $50M after the next 3 weeks. Then add his endorsement possibilities.

He's 28 and has an Open Championship and a Players Championship. Unless he falls off the planet (a possibility in golf), he'd make $100M+ on the PGA Tour. And he could have been one of the greatest golfers of his generation, even possibly of all time. But you don't get there playing 54-hole no-cut tournaments, and without playing against the best and winning majors.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Cam already has career earnings of almost $27M. So he could be pushing $50M after the next 3 weeks. Then add his endorsement possibilities.

He's 28 and has an Open Championship and a Players Championship. Unless he falls off the planet (a possibility in golf), he'd make $100M+ on the PGA Tour. And he could have been one of the greatest golfers of his generation, even possibly of all time. But you don't get there playing 54-hole no-cut tournaments, and without playing against the best and winning majors.
    And a year ago, he didn't know what he'd do with $15M:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cam...llion-pga-tour

"I don't know, I'm pretty set, to be honest," Smith said. "I'm good. I'm good with what I've got. I don't know what I'd do, to be honest. Maybe some more fishing equipment."
    Perhaps his imagination (or that of his agent? ) has improved over the last 12 months.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Hah! Just noticed that 3 of my 5 picks are playing together the next 2 days. Players are sent out in order of standings, so better odds than random, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ask Tiger how he refused $700-$800 million …

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Ask Tiger how he refused $700-$800 million …
    Ask Nike, Buick, etc how much they are willing to pay Tiger. He's a special case (in lots of ways). He's actually coming out ahead turning down that kind of $$.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Ask Nike, Buick, etc how much they are willing to pay Tiger. He's a special case (in lots of ways). He's actually coming out ahead turning down that kind of $$.
    Ok if you can’t see the point, then ask Rahm why he turned down $400 million …

Ok if you can’t see the point, then ask Rahm why he turned down $400 million …
    Oh, I can see the point :-)

Rahm made a valid choice for himself and I hope it works out for him.

Tiger made a valid choice as well but he get so much money from Nike, etc. that what he does doesn't mean anything WRT to other golfers and he's not really giving up money (especially long term).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Oh, I can see the point :-)

Rahm made a valid choice for himself and I hope it works out for him.

Tiger made a valid choice as well but he get so much money from Nike, etc. that what he does doesn't mean anything WRT to other golfers and he's not really giving up money (especially long term).
    Yeah I mean I hear you, it would be hard for me to turn down $100 million, but I don’t have $26 million in the bank like Cam Smith does! I’d take that and stick with the PGA Tour if it were me! But to LIV’s credit, if he does in fact go there, they have finally signed a current superstar. And one of the best golfers currently in the world.

Yeah I mean I hear you, it would be hard for me to turn down $100 million, but I don’t have $26 million in the bank like Cam Smith does! I’d take that and stick with the PGA Tour if it were me! But to LIV’s credit, if he does in fact go there, they have finally signed a current superstar. And one of the best golfers currently in the world.
    If I was just looking at $$ and I was Cam Smith...I don't know what I'd do. I suspect that he will do quite well if he sticks with the PGA. At the same time the kind of $$ these guys are being offered is insane.

This would be such a more interesting situation if the $$ was coming from a group we could support.

Cam Smith has probably spent 8+ hours a day working out, hitting balls, and perfecting his swing for the past 15 years or so to get where he is today. We are not talking about a Mon-Fri job, we are talking about 7 days a week. He watches what he eats and worries about pulling a muscle doing normal activities. He puts in time with his sponsors in off hours and also certainly does a good bit of personal appearances for charities and the such. He flies all over the world to get to tournaments.

Now, someone (the Saudi Sovereign Fund) is willing to give him $100 million... and he really doesn't have to do anything more to earn it. Sure, he needs to play on the LIV tour, but if he wants to cut back a bit on practice, he can because the pressure to have good results just got chucked out the window. Maybe he wants to spend more time with his family. Maybe he wants to buy a $25 mil yacht or private plane. I ain't saying $30 mil (or whatever he might earn on the PGA this year) ain't a ton of money, but $100 mil is a different zip code.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cam Smith has probably spent 8+ hours a day working out, hitting balls, and perfecting his swing for the past 15 years or so to get where he is today. We are not talking about a Mon-Fri job, we are talking about 7 days a week. He watches what he eats and worries about pulling a muscle doing normal activities. He puts in time with his sponsors in off hours and also certainly does a good bit of personal appearances for charities and the such. He flies all over the world to get to tournaments.

Now, someone (the Saudi Sovereign Fund) is willing to give him $100 million... and he really doesn't have to do anything more to earn it. Sure, he needs to play on the LIV tour, but if he wants to cut back a bit on practice, he can because the pressure to have good results just got chucked out the window. Maybe he wants to spend more time with his family. Maybe he wants to buy a $25 mil yacht or private plane. I ain't saying $30 mil (or whatever he might earn on the PGA this year) ain't a ton of money, but $100 mil is a different zip code.
    There's an awful lot of elevated horses and houses built of see through windows on this thread.