Okay, I am publishing a basketball card game… any potential playtesters?

Hey everyone!

Well, after a bunch of games and revisions, and after meeting with some tabletop and video game developers (including my Duke roomie, who is one of the top video game designers in the world), I’ve decided to go ahead and publish my basketball card game, Hardwood Duel.

It is a two player game, played to completion in about thirty minutes or less. Very simple (takes maybe five minutes to learn) but some strategic depth… and the best part is that it FEELS like basketball. Hard to put into words, but that has been everyone’s reaction.

So I was really hoping that some folks here at DBR would be interested in playtesting it a bit! It is perfect if you have kids around the end of elementary school up through high school, or just if you have a friend who likes games. Basically looking for feedback… what works, what doesn’t, what do you think it is missing… that sort of thing!

Anyway, hoping some of you will volunteer, since you all know basketball and this is a bright bunch. Let me know if you are interested!

I’d love to give it a try!

-jk

It definitely sounds interesting! When do you expect to be doing the playtesting (impacts who I might be able to recruit as a testing partner )?

Would love to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Would love to try it out.
    I'll only play test if there is a card called "NC State $&!@" and it causes you to immediately lose the game and all the rest of the games into eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'll only play test if there is a card called "NC State $&!@" and it causes you to immediately lose the game and all the rest of the games into eternity.
    There IS a card called “Legendary Koach,” but I’ll probably have to change the name before we publish

JK, mpj, could you guys send me your email addresses pls? Thanks!

Acy, probably start in the next two or three weeks? That doable?

Thanks, all! Once we get the list going I’ll email with more information and the material and all of that. Only thing it will require is a little printing and cutting, hope that is okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey everyone!

Well, after a bunch of games and revisions, and after meeting with some tabletop and video game developers (including my Duke roomie, who is one of the top video game designers in the world), I’ve decided to go ahead and publish my basketball card game, Hardwood Duel.

It is a two player game, played to completion in about thirty minutes or less. Very simple (takes maybe five minutes to learn) but some strategic depth… and the best part is that it FEELS like basketball. Hard to put into words, but that has been everyone’s reaction.

So I was really hoping that some folks here at DBR would be interested in playtesting it a bit! It is perfect if you have kids around the end of elementary school up through high school, or just if you have a friend who likes games. Basically looking for feedback… what works, what doesn’t, what do you think it is missing… that sort of thing!

Anyway, hoping some of you will volunteer, since you all know basketball and this is a bright bunch. Let me know if you are interested!
    I’d love to test it. I have 16 yo and 12 yo sons who’d love to test it too.

Hey all!

The first wave of playtester invites were just sent out... let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Thanks again, and hope plenty of Duke fans can give it a try!

hardwoodduel1.jpg

Hey all!

Happy to say that playtesting is going strong, and jeez, every game I play, I am reminded that this darn thing just WORKS. Of the last six or seven games I've played, half have come down to the last two minutes, and the others have all been fairly close games. This was a MONSTER game from last night... Another playtest, another absolute barnburner! High IQ point guard John Stockton leads the Utah Jazz against paint protector Dikembe Mutumbo and Houston. Some incredible moments… huge blocks, dueling three-pointers, vital timeouts, cunning play, and here, at the end of the game, it was tied going into the last two minutes.… Mutumbo makes a huge stuff block on an attempted Jazz dunk, and the Rockets win it with the very last card of the game, a game winning dunk, 96-94! Laughed, we cheered, we high-fived… And we marveled at how the game always seems to create these moments

I can't lie, that all sounds pretty cool. What's your library of availabile players? Pleasantly surprised to see you have players from 24-30 years ago.

I would love to play it, but I'm not sure I have anybody who would play it with me. My wife and I are empty-nesters. Maybe I could convince her to try it out with me?

I know my eldest son would love it. He is a big hoops fan and also loves to play all kinds of board games at home and with his friends.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I would love to play it, but I'm not sure I have anybody who would play it with me. My wife and I are empty-nesters. Maybe I could convince her to try it out with me?

I know my eldest son would love it. He is a big hoops fan and also loves to play all kinds of board games at home and with his friends.
    Hey, if you can get the wife onboard, that would rock!. Sounds like your son is the real opponent, tho. Hey, if you want a copy (you would have to print it out and cut it out, tho… it would take a few minutes?) shoot me an email… hello@hardwoodduel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I can't lie, that all sounds pretty cool. What's your library of availabile players? Pleasantly surprised to see you have players from 24-30 years ago.
    So, I can’t use actual named players, bc… you know, rights… but the way it works is you have archetypes to pick from when you pick your stars. Right now, there are six… a high IQ PG, a defensive PG, a high scoring SG, a Paint Protector, a Post Monster, and a Finesse Big. My buddy took the High IQ PG, and I took the Paint Protector, and those were the players we were thinking about… we are just old!

And I’m happy to say, it really does WORK. Like, if you take the High IQ PG, you do have to think a bit about how you are playing… when to use which cards and in what order… in a way other players don’t have to do quite as often… and he lets you mess with your hand a bit, to maximize your chances. And my buddy was playing in FEAR of my Paint Protector, who sure enough sealed the win with a big block! So far I’ve been SO happy with how these simple things really change the way the game plays!

Btw, sorry for misspelling that name… Mutombo!