Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Alex plays well and finishes T4. Lots of Fedex points.
    He posts one of the best scores of the day and will move into the top-30 of the FedEx Cup standings. This is Alex's best showing on the PGA Tour! He had a T2 in the Dominican Republic last year, but that tournament was the same weekend as the Match Play so had a much weaker field.

He's very close to guaranteeing himself a spot in his 1st major, the PGA Championship, and needs to continue to play well.

He will tee it up next weekend in Georgia along with Kevin and Adam, I hope he keeps his hot hand. Last chance for points for a couple of months, until Hawai'i in mid-January.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    He will tee it up next weekend in Georgia along with Kevin and Adam, I hope he keeps his hot hand..
    Next weekend is the RSM Classic in Sea Island, my home town. I will be working as a Walking Scorer. As you said, all three Dukies are listed in the field. I have my fingers crossed that I get one of them for one of my rounds (although I would “settle” for Tony Finau or Jason Day…)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Next weekend is the RSM Classic in Sea Island, my home town. I will be working as a Walking Scorer. As you said, all three Dukies are listed in the field. I have my fingers crossed that I get one of them for one of my rounds (although I would “settle” for Tony Finau or Jason Day…)
    Do you wear a Duke shirt or hat carrying out your duties?!!!?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Next weekend is the RSM Classic in Sea Island, my home town. I will be working as a Walking Scorer.
    What is a walking scorer?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Pretty sure it is the person you see with each group that is holding a sign that tells rhe name of each player in the group amd his score relative to par at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Pretty sure it is the person you see with each group that is holding a sign that tells rhe name of each player in the group amd his score relative to par at the time.
    Yep, probably the best volunteer position for a tourney, particularly if you get a good 2 or 3-some.

After his great weekend Alex leaps 26 spots to #106 in the OWGR. At the end of 2021 he was #321. Still a ways from the top 50, but if he keeps playing like this he'll get there. I believe that would get him into all of the majors. Of course, a win would do it also.

Only 1 missed cut in 6 tournaments, and in the last 2 he finished T11 and T4.

Small edit: He also made $353,500, the biggest payday of his career...so far.
    Last edited by dudog84; 11-14-2022 at 01:28 PM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The sign carrier is called the standard bearer. I have done that for 12 years, and now got “promoted”. The walking scorer is much more challenging (mentally, anyway). Walking scorer keeps track of all the data, including the score for every group, penalties, shot location, etc. Our data is used to create all the player stats like driving distance, fairways and greens in regulation, etc., and it is what the announcers use to tell the TV audience who is hitting, where their ball landed, how long their shot was. We record when each player hits his shot, the location from which he hits (fairway, rough, sand trap, fringe, etc), when each group gets to each part of the hole (for fairways, greens in regulation but also pace of play), what club each player uses off the tee, etc…our information goes straight to the truck, the announcers, the laser pointers, and gamblers across the world, so every data point has to be precise and exactly on time. (We have to click “addressing the ball” and “shot hit” exactly on time so the laser pointers can track the ball and measure distances.)

Wish I could wear Duke apparel, but we have to wear authorized tournament gear.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yep, probably the best volunteer position for a tourney, particularly if you get a good 2 or 3-some.
    I loved being a sign carrier…but if it is windy, it can be a hard day. I will really, really enjoy being a walking scorer…it will take more focus and you cannot make mistakes. Both are great jobs because you are inside the ropes and and hear all the conversations.

I loved being a sign carrier…but if it is windy, it can be a hard day. I will really, really enjoy being a walking scorer…it will take more focus and you cannot make mistakes. Both are great jobs because you are inside the ropes and and hear all the conversations.
    Please give us a report after the tournament, would love to hear stories. Sounds like you'll be working harder than the golfers. Would love to come up to that tournament, it's a little over 2 hours away. But not this year, maybe next. If I do, I'll PM for good places to eat.

The sign carrier is called the standard bearer. I have done that for 12 years, and now got “promoted”. The walking scorer is much more challenging (mentally, anyway). Walking scorer keeps track of all the data, including the score for every group, penalties, shot location, etc. Our data is used to create all the player stats like driving distance, fairways and greens in regulation, etc., and it is what the announcers use to tell the TV audience who is hitting, where their ball landed, how long their shot was. We record when each player hits his shot, the location from which he hits (fairway, rough, sand trap, fringe, etc), when each group gets to each part of the hole (for fairways, greens in regulation but also pace of play), what club each player uses off the tee, etc…our information goes straight to the truck, the announcers, the laser pointers, and gamblers across the world, so every data point has to be precise and exactly on time. (We have to click “addressing the ball” and “shot hit” exactly on time so the laser pointers can track the ball and measure distances.)

Wish I could wear Duke apparel, but we have to wear authorized tournament gear.
    Very cool- I had no idea that was how it worked!

Alex at 10:10, Adam at 10:20, Kevin at 10:20. They're playing 2 courses, so all morning tee times for the field.

Have your assignment yet, Tooold?

Alex at 10:10, Adam at 10:20, Kevin at 10:20. They're playing 2 courses, so all morning tee times for the field.

Have your assignment yet, Tooold?
    I did not get a lucky draw….
    I did get John Huh for the pro am this morning, so that’ll be fun.
    But it looks like some young guys for Th/F (which makes it harder to keep track. It really helps to recognize one or two in the group.
    Burmster, Young, Gothrup on Thursday
    Hoffman, Willett, Watney on Friday

On Saturday, I am scheduled to go off #10 at 9:25, which will be golfers in the middle of the pack. That’s my best chance for a Dukie (even though I would be rooting for them to be farther up the leaderboard).

I did not get a lucky draw….
    I did get John Huh for the pro am this morning, so that’ll be fun.
    But it looks like some young guys for Th/F (which makes it harder to keep track. It really helps to recognize one or two in the group.
    Burmster, Young, Gothrup on Thursday
    Hoffman, Willett, Watney on Friday

On Saturday, I am scheduled to go off #10 at 9:25, which will be golfers in the middle of the pack. That’s my best chance for a Dukie (even though I would be rooting for them to be farther up the leaderboard).
    Enjoy the tourney, and don't feel too bad. I just scrolled through the field and there really aren't any big names you missed on. Justin Rose and Zach Johnson (in the same group) are about it and they're on the backside of their careers. There's also the current #1 in the FedEx standings, but how many of us could pick Seamus Power out of a lineup? #3 is Mackenzie Hughes, #10 is Taylor Montgomery. These guy may be up-and-comers, or just hot before the season really kicks in next year. Our guys have a chance to get some points.

I know you've got to be busy, but I was wondering: Is it a random draw? You said it's your 1st year as a walking scorer, do guys that have been doing it for a while get their pick of the field?

Is it a random draw? You said it's your 1st year as a walking scorer, do guys that have been doing it for a while get their pick of the field?
    It is supposed to be random. And we were assigned our tee times a week ago…before they had the draw. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few that get plum assignments…like the last tee times on Saturday’s and Sundays.

Previously I was a standard bearer (score sign carrier) and those tee times were also supposed to be randomly assigned. But every year I seemed to get at least one really good player.

John Huh was my pro this morning for the Pro Am, and he has to be one of the nicest guys on the tour. He talked to all of us and he lined up every one of the amateurs’ putts. He also gave them unsolicited advice, and had them replay a couple shots after he told them what to do differently. He also plays very fast.

Tony Finau was supposed to be in the field, but maybe he decided he has made enough money for the year….

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My first thought was Tyler Hansb@$!%#

Alex with a fantastic 5-under and currently T5 with only a few golfers left on the course.

Kevin also had a good day and at 4-under and currently T15.

Adam not having a good day.

Alex only three shots behind the opening day RSM leader.

Alex with a fantastic 5-under and currently T5 with only a few golfers left on the course.

Kevin also had a good day and at 4-under and currently T15.

Adam not having a good day.
    I think Adam Long has one of the best and most solid swings on tour. Hard to imagine he ever has a bad round. I'm not sure about his putting, though?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-17-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I think Adam Long has one of the best and most solid swings on tour. Hard to imagine he ever has a bad round. I'm not sure about his putting, though?
    Alex played the harder of the two courses -- the Seaside course. Alex and Kevin played the other.