Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    It was truly a dominant performance. We had two-thirds of the possession, shot the ball 19 times to their three, and put eleven shots to one on frame. Their goalie, Wiebke Willebrandt, had eight saves, and while many were routine, she had at least two that were spectacular. We put our subs in with about 20 minutes to play, and were still the better team. This could easily have been quite a bit more of a scoreboard blowout than it turned out to be. That was a really nice performance from the Blue Devils.

Michelle Cooper strikes early for a 1-0 lead over NC State.

And now a 2nd goal by Pluck, 2-0.

Cooper and Pluck each strike again in the 2nd half for a 4-0 lead.

Definitely looking in control tonight, great match.

That was about as dominant a performance as one could hope for. We led in everything, and beat them in every way. After those two early goals, we kind of let them get comfortable toward the end of the first half, but Robbie Church and the locker room talk took care of that. Both teams subbed in with 20 minutes to go, and our subs still beat their subs. I hope we see more of that as the season moves on.

During the broadcast on ACCNX the color commentator said repeatedly that he thinks Michelle Cooper is the best player in women's college soccer today.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    During the broadcast on ACCNX the color commentator said repeatedly that he thinks Michelle Cooper is the best player in women's college soccer today.
    That was a fascinating segment. He observed that she was the 18th ranked recruit in her year, and wondered who were the 17 players better than her. He then said in looking at the list, he agreed that those other 17 were also outstanding, but that Michelle has a unique combination of athleticism and skill that has clearly elevated her above those peers. I also found it interesting that when asked who he would compare her to, he said he didn't think there was a comparison—she's a truly unique talent in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    That was a fascinating segment. He observed that she was the 18th ranked recruit in her year, and wondered who were the 17 players better than her. He then said in looking at the list, he agreed that those other 17 were also outstanding, but that Michelle has a unique combination of athleticism and skill that has clearly elevated her above those peers. I also found it interesting that when asked who he would compare her to, he said he didn't think there was a comparison—she's a truly unique talent in the sport.
    Her work rate is also outstanding. In addition to being a force to be reckoned with when the ball is at her feet, she is great leading the high press. She forces just a ton of bad passes by how fast she closes down the ball. It is really fun to watch her work.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I've been saying it since last year...she may go down when all is said and done as the greatest Duke female athlete ever

One other thing....Duke's freshman class for next year is ranked #5 with 3 of the top 20 players per Top Drawer Soccer: Mia Minestrella, Cameron Roller and Kiera Clemens
    Only UNC, Stanford, UVA and FSU rank higher

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    One other thing...Duke's freshman class for next year is ranked #5 with 3 of the top 20 players per Top Drawer Soccer: Mia Minestrella, Cameron Roller and Kiera Clemens
    Only UNC, Stanford, UVA and FSU rank higher
    Good grief. Three out of the four higher-ranked classes are in our own conference. The ACC is just an amazing powerhouse when it comes to women's soccer.

Duke Women vs #2 Virginia at Koskinen, trailing 1-0 with 20 minutes remaining.

Final 1-0 UVA. I didn't watch much of the game but from the stats it looks like Duke had a few good chances but couldn't cash in with any goals. Cooper left the game with about 15 minutes remaining with an apparent leg injury. She walked off so I don't think it was serious.

Final 1-0 UVA. I didn't watch much of the game but from the stats it looks like Duke had a few good chances but couldn't cash in with any goals. Cooper left the game with about 15 minutes remaining with an apparent leg injury. She walked off so I don't think it was serious.
    On the home field Koskinen Stadium former IRS commissioner, the Duke women have lost to UCLA,UNC and UVA.The teams considered their top competition.Church mentioned the problems the team has. It is up to the players to get their game time play improved.In late November and early December I hope this team can advance in post season play, but they have to perform much better going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    On the home field Koskinen Stadium former IRS commissioner, the Duke women have lost to UCLA,UNC and UVA.The teams considered their top competition.Church mentioned the problems the team has. It is up to the players to get their game time play improved.In late November and early December I hope this team can advance in post season play, but they have to perform much better going forward.
    All 3 losses have been to the #2 team at the time. The only bad loss was to UNC where they were thoroughly outplayed. The others were winable games.

... Cooper left the game with about 15 minutes remaining with an apparent leg injury. She walked off so I don't think it was serious.
    Cooper came back in to the game a few minutes later. I think it was possibly leg cramps.

All 3 losses have been to the #2 team at the time. The only bad loss was to UNC where they were thoroughly outplayed. The others were winable games.
    UNC also lost to UCLA and to UVA, and just lost to unranked VT over the weekend. So I agree that we need a "big" win, but it also feels like we're not far off from being in that top group.

The Duke women hot Wake Forest tonight at 7. You can stream the game on ACC Network Extra.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The Duke women hot Wake Forest tonight at 7. You can stream the game on ACC Network Extra.
    Wake Forest is unranked in the Coaches Poll and #32 in the RPI. Their record is 8-2-2 and they've had some quality wins including a 4-1 win over #14 (at the time) Clemson and 1-0 over Georgia and a tie with #16 (at the time) Auburn. Duke is #8 in the RPI and is obviously favored so this is a must win home ACC game.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This team needs to start winning. They need an attitude shift is obvious. Robbie Church was really disappointed how they handled UVA.