Last night I was discussing remote work with an exec who is convinced that his company is getting less out of its staff working from home. I have seen where some companies have instituted 3 days in the office protocols. I am trying to figure out if remote work is here to stay or not.

I personally had one career with a major company and an office. I then started a business with a partner and we worked out of our homes. I appreciated not spending time commuting and certainly at the start of our venture put in more hours than I would have if I was going to an office. While my partner and I talked several times a day on the phone I did miss more personal interactions. Since it was half my business I think I worked hard at it and did not cheat myself. I also know of one law firm that had recent record years with lawyers working from home and saving the office rent and another that has put in the "hotel" system for their lawyers. Basically work from home and reserve an office or conference room if you need. They plan to go from leasing three floors to one in their LA office.

However the exec I talked to is convinced that his people are not putting in the time.

I would say that fear of Covid for many is just an excuse. Restaurants in my area seem packed with non-mask wearing patrons.

Any thoughts.

SoCal