Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry’s 80th

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Yes, taping Jerry was challenging. For example, my friend taped the two JGB Merriweather ‘89 shows with mics connected to his hat. When he started setting up, Bill Graham walked by us and gave us a nasty look. Fortunately, Graham had more important issues than us.

Over time, we became very innovative. Our best JGB tapes were made when they started putting speakers in the hallways for the spinners. We put our D5s behind the speakers and used an alligator clipper for a direct soundboard connection. Of course, placing a D5 behind a magnet was risky business.
    Sneaky sneaky!
    Going to school in DC, I saw many shows at Merriweather, but unfortunately not that one. My two were a couple years later in the Cap Center. I'm glad I got to go. The vibe was certainly in the same vein as a Dead show, but it was a different experience. (And one I still remember.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sneaky sneaky!
    Going to school in DC, I saw many shows at Merriweather, but unfortunately not that one. My two were a couple years later in the Cap Center. I'm glad I got to go. The vibe was certainly in the same vein as a Dead show, but it was a different experience. (And one I still remember.)
    I saw the GD at Merriweather twice in ‘83, ‘84, and ‘85. I saw JGB there twice in ‘89. I was always amazed how JGB could fill a place that the GD just started filling about 5 years before.

A couple years ago, when she was 12, I started taking my daughter to shows. Scored front row center tickets for Stills & Collins. As always, I was wearing a GD shirt. Kenny White opened on solo acoustic. He started talking to me, between tunes, about the GD. He told the audience that his friend took him to two GD shows at Merriweather and the second one was canceled because Dead Heads ate some of the animals at a local petting zoo. I called B.S. but he continued the lie to thousands. After the gig, he was peddling CDs in the lobby. I waited until everyone had left and challenged his story. I told him the GD played Merriweather six times, I named all the dates, and informed him that I had attended all shows. Regardless, Mr. White stuck to his story and said it must have been sometime in the late 70’s. I even made sure he wasn’t confusing Merriweather with another venue and he informed me that he had opened for and played with Jonathan Edwards at Merriweather. I wished him a good evening and departed. Ugly rumors!
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 08-03-2022 at 08:01 PM.