Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Amile Jefferson Facing Reckless Driving Charge

… Durham County court records show the 29-year-old Jefferson, who played on Duke’s 2015 NCAA championship team, was stopped at 10 a.m. April 14 driving on N.C. 147 near the Ellis Road interchange south of downtown. …

He was cited with three misdemeanor charges, including speeding in a work zone more than 80 mph, reckless driving and wanton disregard for the rights and safety of others and failing to wear a seat belt. …
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...#storylink=cpy

Not a good look. You could easily go 70 through that stretch and I wouldn’t complain too much but 89 and without a seat belt is poor judgement. Glad he didn’t hit anything!

Quote Originally Posted by stingy View Post
    Not a good look. You could easily go 70 through that stretch and I wouldn’t complain too much but 89 and without a seat belt is poor judgement. Glad he didn’t hit anything!
    And it was a work zone so 55 at the time. Poor judgement for a 19 year old. Not sure what to call it for a 29 year old.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    And it was a work zone so 55 at the time. Poor judgement for a 19 year old. Not sure what to call it for a 29 year old.
    Poor judgement.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not good. You've got to be smarter than that.

I got a speeding ticket in virtually the same spot when I was at Duke when Amile was in diapers - driving back from RDU I got onto the Durham Freeway, forgetting the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55 and I was doing low 70s (a far cry from what Amile was doing). 80+ on that road and you are flying, especially if it is a construction zone - this is not a rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by stingy View Post
    It was the day of the basketball banquet- Amile was likely late for a meeting. The not wearing a seatbelt part is most concerning.

This is a freakin' huge nothing burger. Thias happens 50 times every day. He didn't do anything half of us didn't do at some point - please spare me the "not me" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    This is a freakin' huge nothing burger. Thias happens 50 times every day. He didn't do anything half of us didn't do at some point - please spare me the "not me" posts.
    Whoa, speak for yourself.

He’s getting a friendly um, wave, from me if he passes me doing 90 on the Durham Freeway.

Maybe if he was 15 over I’d see your point but 35 over is pretty rough.

That’s not to say this story is all that ground breaking, as it’s likely to have minimal impact on AJ’s job itself. But it does show poor judgment that hopefully he can learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Whoa, speak for yourself.

He’s getting a friendly um, wave, from me if he passes me doing 90 on the Durham Freeway.

Maybe if he was 15 over I’d see your point but 35 over is pretty rough.

That’s not to say this story is all that ground breaking, as it’s likely to have minimal impact on AJ’s job itself. But it does show poor judgment that hopefully he can learn from.
    Unfortunate mistake for Amile. I am certain he will slow down and accept being late as opposed to taking risks like that day.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Unfortunate mistake for Amile. I am certain he will slow down and accept being late as opposed to taking risks like that day.
    And wear a freaking seat belt!!!!

If you are doing less than 85 in the left lane of I-75 in Atlanta you are going to get some car horns blaring in your direction for slowing down the flow of traffic.

Is 89 in a 55 unwise? Absolutely.
    Is failing to wear his seat belt foolish? 100%**
    But is this an issue we need to be concerned about even a tiny, tiny bit... I don't see it.

--Jason "** -what car was he driving that did not give an annoying beep when the seat belt was unfastened?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

No, no, no. If he was truly doing 89 in this section of the freeway he was very reckless and should probably lose his license for a short period of time (that won’t happen though). This is not an 8-lane highway and the construction area with the new connector interchange a little tricky. I feel certain very few of us have exceeded 75 in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If you are doing less than 85 in the left lane of I-75 in Atlanta you are going to get some car horns blaring in your direction for slowing down the flow of traffic.

Is 89 in a 55 unwise? Absolutely.
    Is failing to wear his seat belt foolish? 100%**
    But is this an issue we need to be concerned about even a tiny, tiny bit... I don't see it.

--Jason "** -what car was he driving that did not give an annoying beep when the seat belt was unfastened?" Evans
    Agreed. Not wearing a seatbelt going that fast - unwise...Is it a big deal? No.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Agreed. Not wearing a seatbelt going that fast - unwise...Is it a big deal? No.
    Your handle namesake speaks to the worst consequences of driving recklessly.

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
    • From 2003-2019, 2,103 workers lost their lives at road construction sites.
    • The number of fatal work-related injuries at road construction sites averaged 124 per year.
    So, nope ... not me.

Another punishment is going to be Amile's rising car insurance premium.

If I recall, Coach K said Michael Savarino (and I think he included Paolo also) had "not met the standards of the program" regarding the November DUI charges, which seemed to indicate some internal disciplinary action in that case. It will be interesting to see if Head Coach Scheyer will speak about Amile's incident.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    If I recall, Coach K said Michael Savarino (and I think he included Paolo also) had "not met the standards of the program" regarding the November DUI charges, which seemed to indicate some internal disciplinary action in that case. It will be interesting to see if Head Coach Scheyer will speak about Amile's incident.
    I doubt it. There's a difference between a DUI and a speeding ticket.

And FWIW, this "construction zone" rarely has any actual construction going on in it. 89 Is *very* excessive and not wearing a seatbelt is stupid, but w/e. 70+ is the norm through there.

I care more about his being reckless enough to get caught than the actual danger of his actions.
    April 1

I agree that this isn't "nothing," but I don't know that it rises to the level of something that needs to be addressed by Coach J.

It's different when it's young men who you share a level of responsibility for as a leader and mentor. With an employee, I would expect something along the lines of "we are aware of it and handling it internally."

I personally don't equate the two events. DUI>reckless driving

Was it dumb? Yeah. Do I care? Nope.

He'll learn from it. TG no one (including him) was hurt.