Maybe that Lebron guy is pretty smart after all (just not as smart as Shane!)

Not normally a fan of these non-news news articles (meaning at least 90% of the journalistic endeavors that I am recommended online), but when so complimentary to one of our own, why not!?!? :0)

LeBron James names 'the No. 1 smartest' teammate he's ever had: 'He knows everything'
    https://www.basketballnetwork.net/ol...ows-everything
    159!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hexi-decimally, that is)

Go Duke!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Not normally a fan of these non-news news articles (meaning at least 90% of the journalistic endeavors that I am recommended online), but when so complimentary to one of our own, why not!?!? :0)

LeBron James names 'the No. 1 smartest' teammate he's ever had: 'He knows everything'
    So I want to know when he is going to run for the Senate (hey you have to start somewhere). I am getting impatient...

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post

Am I misreading—- aren’t those quotes all from his Heat days?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Am I misreading—- aren’t those quotes all from his Heat days?
    Looks like the linked Slam article that contains the quotes is from 2012.

Anyone know what Shane is doing these days? I've always found him to be one of my favorite basketball players of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone know what Shane is doing these days? I've always found him to be one of my favorite basketball players of all time.
    He was with the Heat in a front office role for several years, but he resigned in 2021 so he could join the board of a company called Yext, a tech company in the brand management/search/data management space. I know he is very involved in his foundation as well.

There was talk a few years back, in 2014, that the Michigan Democratic party was interested in having him run for Senate, but he seems to have rebuffed that. Not sure if he might be interested now that his NBA career is a bit further in the rear-view mirror.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He was with the Heat in a front office role for several years, but he resigned in 2021 so he could join the board of a company called Yext, a tech company in the brand management/search/data management space. I know he is very involved in his foundation as well.

There was talk a few years back, in 2014, that the Michigan Democratic party was interested in having him run for Senate, but he seems to have rebuffed that. Not sure if he might be interested now that his NBA career is a bit further in the rear-view mirror.
    Thanks for the info on one of my favorite Duke players. I hope he doesn't get into the dirty world of politics though.

GoDuke!

Color me surprised that Steven hasn't parachuted into this thread with guns blazin' talking about how Lebron hates puppies and kicks ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Color me surprised that Steven hasn't parachuted into this thread with guns blazin' talking about how Lebron hates puppies and kicks ice cream.
    I did see a headline about Lebron sliding into someone's DMs the other day.

(I think that's the correct phrase)

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thanks for the info on one of my favorite Duke players. I hope he doesn't get into the dirty world of politics though.

GoDuke!
    If Shane got involved in politics, it would be less "dirty."

FWIW: It's a negative attitude about politics that gives the less savory politicians oxygen. If we all cared more, we'd end up with a better government. (just to point out that this is true regardless of R, D, or I)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post

FWIW: It's a negative attitude about politics that gives the less savory politicians oxygen. If we all cared more, we'd end up with a better government. (just to point out that this is true regardless of R, D, or I)
    Agreed. I can't remember the last person I knew personally who seemed like they wanted to get into national politics for the "right reasons." It seems like an industry and culture that devours those who want to do good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post

I agree politics would be less dirty if Shane were involved, and I care and I vote, but there is just so much one can do. Most of work to clean up politics should be done by the politicians themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agreed. I can't remember the last person I knew personally who seemed like they wanted to get into national politics for the "right reasons." It seems like an industry and culture that devours those who want to do good work.
    I like my Congressperson, FWIW. She's visited my wife's non-profit and has a compelling resume of service, both military and educational. I'd like her a lot more if she was Shane Battier though!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I agree politics would be less dirty if Shane were involved, and I care and I vote, but there is just so much one can do. Most of work to clean up politics should be done by the politicians themselves.
    I don't want this thread to wander too far away from, IMO, one of the finest representatives of Duke athletics in my (mumble) years of fandom, so I promise to stop after this. However, you have brought up an interesting point that deserves comment.

Who are politicians if not a reflection of ourselves? They are not a separate species after all, even though it may seem that way sometimes. Politicians aren't going to clean up politics unless we expect them to, and there are lots of ways to tell politicians what we expect of them. The point is that they aren't going to do it themselves. If we don't encourage them they'll just assume they can continue to get away with what they are doing.

Sorry if this all seems self-evident. I'm told I'm bad that way...

Citizens invariably blame the politicians after electing discord stoking demagogues over reasonable candidates who they find ‘boring.’ Moderate, thoughtful politicians inevitably fail one arbitrary party litmus test or another so we end up with a hyperpartisan dysfunctional government. There is a saying about democracy not giving us the best government, it only gives us the government we deserve.

Ot here is another that applies:
    “Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”
    —John Adams

Ooooooo, trying to unhijack this thread...

Battier was profiled several times for his smarts. I recall an NYT article about him being the no-stats all-star (sadly, it's behind a pay wall now). His work on Kobe was better than most anyone else in the NBA, game in/game out. Not that Kobe couldn't get his against Battier. He was, after all, Kobe (IIRC it was in the article). Anyway, Battier would always be on any Duke *team* I'd assemble. He may not start, but he'd be there at crunch time.

I don't like LeBron at all. Don't like his attitude, don't like his type of pettiness, don't like how he handles it all. But anyone that says he's not a top 5 player in the history of the NBA is letting their dislike for him cloud their judgment.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.