53 Years Ago Today!

From a connection’s post on LinkedIn. Skill, determination, and dedication to the mission.

-----

It was 53 years ago, on July 20, 1969, at 4:18 pm EST that the lunar module named “Eagle” touched down on the southwestern edge of the Sea of Tranquility. Neil Armstrong, 240,000 miles from Earth, immediately radioed to Mission Control in Houston, Texas, a famous message: “The Eagle has landed.”

At 10:56 pm EST, with more than a billion people listening at home Armstrong opened the hatch and stepped off the lunar landing module and uttered these famous words: That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Armstrong planted his left foot on the gray, powdery surface and took a cautious step forward while humanity took its first walk on the moon.

“Buzz” Aldrin joined Armstrong on the moon’s surface at 11:11 p.m., and together they took photographs of the terrain, and planted a U.S. flag. Among the items left on the surface of the moon was a plaque that read: “Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the moon–July 1969 A.D–We came in peace for all mankind.”

It was 64 years ago yesterday, on July 29, 1958, U.S. Congress passed legislation establishing the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), a civilian agency responsible for coordinating America’s activities in space. In May 1961, President John F. Kennedy declared that America should put a man on the moon by the end of the decade. It was an ambitious goal, but one that was met with great enthusiasm. It was a goal that, unfortunately, JFK did not live to see.

Neil Armstrong died on August 25, 2012, at age 82. Michael Collins died last year at the age of 90. Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin is alive and well. He is 92 years old and living in Glen Ridge, New Jersey.

Moonshot.jpg

I was sipping a beer in Jarry Parc in Montreal watching the heroic Expos during the landing...then we headed off to the Queen Elizabeth Hotel for copious eating and drinking, watching and listening to Neil's less than clear words when he stomped on the moon. Very exciting...an astounding technological achievement given the tools available back then.

As I have posted here before, at age 15* I was in Fenway Park watching the Red Sox and Orioles. At about 4:20 pm, the PA announcer pushed his mic button and said "ladies and gentlemen, the Eagle has landed!" A mass standing ovation ensued for the next 15 minutes, the games stopped while the players applauded too. IIRC, the Orioles scored late to beat the Sox. Being a Yankee fan, I wanted them both to lose!

*That summer I was attending the Ted Williams Baseball Camp in Lakeville, Mass, and this was a camp-wide field trip to see the ball game. We sat in the right center field bleachers (the cheap seats).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As I have posted here before, at age 15* I was in Fenway Park watching the Red Sox and Orioles. At about 4:20 pm, the PA announcer pushed his mic button and said "ladies and gentlemen, the Eagle has landed!" A mass standing ovation ensued for the next 15 minutes, the games stopped while the players applauded too. IIRC, the Orioles scored late to beat the Sox. Being a Yankee fan, I wanted them both to lose!

*That summer I was attending the Ted Williams Baseball Camp in Lakeville, Mass, and this was a camp-wide field trip to see the ball game. We sat in the right center field bleachers (the cheap seats).
    Having grown up outside Boston, I can remember when the bleacher seats were $.50 (yes, 50 cents!) at Fenway Park (and I believe box seats were $4). Red Sox fans were outraged when they raised the bleacher seat prices to $1 (I believe sometime in the late 60's, after the Red Sox went to the World Series in 1967. Ah, the good ole days!

And yet I just enjoyed my ten dollar footling frank at Fenway last month. Times do change.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And yet I just enjoyed my ten dollar footling frank at Fenway last month. Times do change.
    I will be in Boston in mid-August when my Yanks are in town for a weekend series. Last I looked it was $125 a ticket to get in the door so my family of four will not be attending - we are hoping to do a tour. I went several times in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin is alive and well. He is 92 years old and living in Glen Ridge, New Jersey.
    Cognitive dissonance.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I will be in Boston in mid-August when my Yanks are in town for a weekend series. Last I looked it was $125 a ticket to get in the door so my family of four will not be attending - we are hoping to do a tour. I went several times in the 80s.
    Buying directly or thru something like stub hub? I bought from the Sox and paid $124 for deluxe box seats but I know the Jankees will be. Big draw. I thought the fan experience was outstanding. FWIW

Buying directly or thru something like stub hub? I bought from the Sox and paid $124 for deluxe box seats but I know the Jankees will be. Big draw. I thought the fan experience was outstanding. FWIW
    I will be going to NJ for a meeting in 2 weeks, getting in mid Tuesday afternoon (hoping my flight arrives on time). I bought a ticket for the Yankees’ game vs Seattle that night, my “regular location” in right field just fair from the foul poll, second row. $115, only up $5 from the last time. The first few times my dad bought front row box seats down the right field line (I could reach out and touch the tarp), they were $3.50 each. That was literally 60 years ago. Two years later they were $4 each. Outrageous! LOL 😂

9F 9F 9F

I will be going to NJ for a meeting in 2 weeks, getting in mid Tuesday afternoon (hoping my flight arrives on time). I bought a ticket for the Yankees’ game vs Seattle that night, my “regular location” in right field just fair from the foul poll, second row. $115, only up $5 from the last time. The first few times my dad bought front row box seats down the right field line (I could reach out and touch the tarp), they were $3.50 each. That was literally 60 years ago. Two years later they were $4 each. Outrageous! LOL 😂
    Where did you get those tickets? That seems really high. I go to a few Yankees games a year so have a decent sense of pricing. I just went to SeatGeek and for that game tickets in row 4 of section 106 (roughly what you described) were $68 and there were lots of other seats in that section and nearby for similar prices. Still not cheap but a lot less than $115.

The moon landing was before my time, but I thought it was kind of funny when my mom told me they were at the beach and listened to it on the radio. I asked her why didn't they watch it. She said the hotel room did not have a TV.

Wow, times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    The moon landing was before my time, but I thought it was kind of funny when my mom told me they were at the beach and listened to it on the radio. I asked her why didn't they watch it. She said the hotel room did not have a TV.

Wow, times have changed!
    I was on a "teen tour" in San Diego and did watch it on a TV. Must have been a 5-star motel.

Was the summer between my junior and senior years in HS. Then on to Duke the following August ('70)

Where did you get those tickets? That seems really high. I go to a few Yankees games a year so have a decent sense of pricing. I just went to SeatGeek and for that game tickets in row 4 of section 106 (roughly what you described) were $68 and there were lots of other seats in that section and nearby for similar prices. Still not cheap but a lot less than $115.
    MLB’s Yankee site. It directed me to ticket master. Section 107, row 2. Ok, seat geek could make a commercial using me. Damn.

9F 9F 9F

MLB’s Yankee site. It directed me to ticket master. Section 107, row 2. Ok, seat geek could make a commercial using me. Damn.
    294490473_2164221333740669_5923920211098112733_n.jpg
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

$5000 to see Springsteen in Boston, thank you TicketMeister!

https://live959.com/like-bruce-sprin...him-in-boston/

Ticketmaster getting some grief on this, but I'm sure they don't care. $5000 for regular seating, i.e. no back stage passes or anything included. Advanced capitalism!

https://live959.com/like-bruce-sprin...him-in-boston/

Ticketmaster getting some grief on this, but I'm sure they don't care. $5000 for regular seating, i.e. no back stage passes or anything included. Advanced capitalism!
    I have mixed feelings about this. I think the prices are ridiculous. But part of me would rather that Springsteen get the money than some ticket broker who got them at a low face value then marked them up a lot and resold for a huge profit. Because there isn't really much of a way to prevent the original buyers from reselling.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think the prices are ridiculous. But part of me would rather that Springsteen get the money than some ticket broker who got them at a low face value then marked them up a lot and resold for a huge profit. Because there isn't really much of a way to prevent the original buyers from reselling.
    How much of this money goes to Bruce and how much goes to Ticketmaster? I have trouble believing they just pass the exorbitance on to Bruce...