Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm thrilled Duke is playing a high-profile opponent in a home-and-home series. Love it and want to see more of it!

But Arizona and those cheating, lying, thieving Pac 12 referees can $*@!^@& themselves.

That's a 3 pointer to give Duke a 1 point lead in overtime. I'm sorry, but it isn't even close to being a 2. Koubek's feet are clearly well behind the line.

Two minutes later, the refs ruled it a 2 and take a point away from Duke. As a result, Arizona ties the game up and it goes to a second overtime where the Cats manage to hang on and win. It was a record-setting game as Duke was called for more fouls than any team in the history of the McKale Center.

Coach K vowed to never, ever, ever play in Arizona again after that game.
    We got our revenge in 2001 in Minneapolis - AZ fans (and our friend Billy Packer) were weepin' and wailin' about the refs.

I also wonder whether we'll announce a major away non-conference game this coming season, probably at Michigan State, probably after exams. Supposedly, we owe them a game. That would fit the apparent pattern of trying to alternate major home and away non-conference games to coordinate with ACC-B10 Challenge games. This season, we have a home game with Ohio State so maybe we play at Michigan State. Next season we expect a road game at a B10 school so we have a home game with Arizona. In 2024 we expect a home game with a B10 school so we play at Arizona.

Makes sense to me at least but I'm not sure that we'll end up alternating in the ACC-B10 Challenge quite so neatly.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am assuming we won't be seeing the referee who robbed us of a win on Feb. 25, 1991 by not giving Duke credit for Koubek's three-point shot in the first OT.

Booker Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I also wonder whether we'll announce a major away non-conference game this coming season, probably at Michigan State, probably after exams. Supposedly, we owe them a game. That would fit the apparent pattern of trying to alternate major home and away non-conference games to coordinate with ACC-B10 Challenge games. This season, we have a home game with Ohio State so maybe we play at Michigan State. Next season we expect a road game at a B10 school so we have a home game with Arizona. In 2024 we expect a home game with a B10 school so we play at Arizona.

Makes sense to me at least but I'm not sure that we'll end up alternating in the ACC-B10 Challenge quite so neatly.
    I am all in favor of home and homes with major opponents, but please not MIchigan State. Can't we give that a rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I thought I heard that the Champions Classic timing is getting moved from the first game of the season to a slightly later date...
    The problem is the limited number of A/N spots. AZ, Champions, 3 TBD to include some but probably not all of: Big 10, MSG, preseason tournament. The only way everything works is if the Championship or preseason tournament is in NYC. We might be able to convince ESPN to give us a home game two years in a row.

I am assuming we won't be seeing the referee who robbed us of a win on Feb. 25, 1991 by not giving Duke credit for Koubek's three-point shot in the first OT.
    The culprits: http://dukehana.lsiconsulting.com:80...me_id=19910224

Good news. Ballasteros, Reischling, and Range have been long retired. Range actually worked ACC games ca. 2000 although we did not draw him.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The culprits: http://dukehana.lsiconsulting.com:80...me_id=19910224

Good news. Ballasteros, Reischling, and Range have been long retired. Range actually worked ACC games ca. 2000 although we did not draw him.
    Coach K felt it was more than just those 3 guys, it was all the Pac 12 refs.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We also got badly hosed at Arizona in the Danny Ferry vs Lute game (1987?)...may have been part of a mini tournament including Florida perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    We got our revenge in 2001 in Minneapolis - AZ fans (and our friend Billy Packer) were weepin' and wailin' about the refs.
    Didn't we win by 11?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Didn't we win by 11?
    10 but they felt JWill should have gotten his 3rd foul late in the first half and that lasted the rest of the game robbing AZ of the win

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We also got badly hosed at Arizona in the Danny Ferry vs Lute game (1987?)...may have been part of a mini tournament including Florida perhaps?
    This is the game reffed by Booker Turner; not the 1991 35 foul debacle. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    10 but they felt JWill should have gotten his 3rd foul late in the first half and that lasted the rest of the game robbing AZ of the win
    And the place erupted in boos, for umpteenth time that game, when Battier made a incredible block without making contact with Jason Gardner. The fact that replay showed it was clean did not turn the down the temp, one bit, for a decidly anti-Duke crowd. It was in this game that Packer gave voice, to a national audience, Duke gets all the calls conspiracy.

Coach K felt it was more than just those 3 guys, it was all the Pac 12 refs.
    Yes. Duke and UCLA also used to have a series back in the 90s. I had heard that K groused about the officiating. I also recall UCLA felt Duke was getting the better of it in the recruiting battle by playing in Pauley every other year. Both teams wanted the series to end, so it did.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Yes. Duke and UCLA also used to have a series back in the 90s. I had heard that K groused about the officiating. I also recall UCLA felt Duke was getting the better of it in the recruiting battle by playing in Pauley every other year. Both teams wanted the series to end, so it did.

9F
    The 1998 game in Cameron was my most enjoyable game while at Duke. Totally destroyed the Bruins.

But Arizona and those cheating, lying, thieving Pac 12 referees can $*@!^@& themselves.
    This was a really long time ago. Jon Scheyer was only 3 years old.

Plus, it's not like there's an Arizona guy out there who's trying to be a referee...

In the mid-late 80s when I was in middle school I was a huge Duke fan and one of my best friends was a big Arizona fan - his brother went there (if I recall, he said his brother went there to go surfing, which makes no sense - he would have been better off staying home in NJ).

We used to have arguments that almost came to blows about Duke vs. Arizona, and particularly Ferry vs. Elliott, who were two of the top player of the year candidates in 1989. The loss in 1989 where Laettner missed the foul shot was really painful - I tried to convince my parents not to make me go to school the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    Present. Am in Tucson and have already warned my co-workers that I will be insufferable that week (it may take them two years to prepare). Someone remind me in 2024 and I will do a way too long list of places to eat for any visiting Dukies. We're a UNESCO City of Gastronomy doncha know.
    Both of my parents went to UA and I grew up a fan, still am. It is a little awkward to bring up 2001 to the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The loss in 1989 where Laettner missed the foul shot was really painful - I tried to convince my parents not to make me go to school the next day.
    Senior year road tripped from Duke to the Northeast for that game. 7 of us in 2 cars. One car broke down about 200 miles outside of Durham. We got a rental and continued on our way. We crashed Friday night on the floor of the hotel room my girlfriend was staying in (she went to Penn and was in town for an interview with a wall street firm... she would later become my wife). The next day was a bit of a blur. It ended with a rough night of drugs and debauchery in Times Square which included one guy in our group making it with a stripper we met. Duke played Arizona the next day. We watched the team lose after Laettner missed the FTs and promptly decided we should go to Atlantic City so the entire trip would not be a loss. After an hour at the craps and blackjack tables we were up a mint! After another hour we had to scrounge through out pockets to make sure we had enough money to pay the tolls to get home (one guy had a Gulf credit card that we would use to get gas along the way).

Whole trip cost us well over $1000, back when $100 was a lot lot lot of money.

Wouldn't trade a second of it for anything! The memories of that weekend from hell live on forever.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    In the mid-late 80s when I was in middle school I was a huge Duke fan and one of my best friends was a big Arizona fan - his brother went there (if I recall, he said his brother went there to go surfing, which makes no sense - he would have been better off staying home in NJ).

We used to have arguments that almost came to blows about Duke vs. Arizona, and particularly Ferry vs. Elliott, who were two of the top player of the year candidates in 1989. The loss in 1989 where Laettner missed the foul shot was really painful - I tried to convince my parents not to make me go to school the next day.
    Thank goodness we had Dick Nixon in attendance to comfort all of us, especially Laettner! (there's a Duke hoops footnote)

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    Steve Lavin was the UCLA coach who didn't want to play Duke anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Steve Lavin was the UCLA coach who didn't want to play Duke anymore.
    And K responded with the epic beatdown my senior year. Lavin said he wanted a winnable road game so he scheduled UNC.