Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Draft

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstK'sLast View Post
    https://www.si.com/nba/2022/08/23/20...mith-big-board

Jeremy Woo, who is a pretty well-respected NBA Draft Analyst, has released his top 30 for the upcoming draft.

7. Dariq Whitehead
    11. Tyrese Proctor (!!!!)
    14. Dereck Lively

Filipowski, Mitchell, Roach not listed
    Interesting. Whitehead is a bit lower than elsewhere. But if Proctor is a lottery pick, we’ve had a fun year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    Literally every single thing that could have gone right for Duke in the wake of Keels's decision went right. Either the staff is not merely great but absolutely perfect (including sone things that required luck) or they were quietly laying backup plans to prepare for the worst-case scenario. One outcome relies on luck and the other relies on logic and planning.
    Totally agree, and I will add that Keels represented the absolute worst case, nightmare scenario for every college coach - a borderline player who waits until literally the last hour to decide whether to go before ultimately going. That sort of decision can wreck a team's entire season. Yet Jon handled it perfectly - he remained committed to Keels and supported him for whichever decision he would make, essentially holding a spot for him even though many Duke fans were up in arms while potential portal players committed elsewhere. Meanwhile he began talks with Proctor about reclassifying and maintained contact with enough transfers that when the spot came available he was able to fill it. Perhaps if he had gone a different direction and told Keels he wouldn't hold the spot then we might have landed a more highly regarded transfer. And it was a calculated gamble in the sense that had Grandison not committed we might have had a hole in the roster. But I think the end result was about as good as we could have hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstK'sLast View Post
    https://www.si.com/nba/2022/08/23/20...mith-big-board

Jeremy Woo, who is a pretty well-respected NBA Draft Analyst, has released his top 30 for the upcoming draft.

7. Dariq Whitehead
    11. Tyrese Proctor (!!!!)
    14. Dereck Lively

Filipowski, Mitchell, Roach not listed
    Yeah, the buzz on Proctor after his summer with the Aussie National Team has really picked up. That's why I have been saying there is a darn good chance he is Duke's starting SG on day one this season.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

IDK if you are new to this species or whatever but sometimes people aren't completely truthful. Like how a recruit will say that academics are the most important thing and then release a final 5 of sec programs that won't require a single meaningful academic class. That statement about "academics being important" was a lie.
    Wow that's wildly condescending to an esteemed poster.

For folks who have not heard...
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ns-source-says

Projected No. 1 pick Victor Wembanyama will travel to Las Vegas next month for a pair of highly anticipated games, matching up with projected No. 2 pick Scoot Henderson, a source told ESPN.

Metropolitans 92 from Paris will take on G League Ignite on Oct. 4 and Oct. 6 in a pair of exhibition games in Henderson, Nevada. The games are expected to be broadcasted on the ESPN family of networks, the source said.
    Should be a fun watch!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    New mock draft up on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...coot-henderson

This has Lively going at #6, Whitehead at #11, Filipowski at #23... and that's it. I think Proctor is going to find himself on Mock Drafts sooner rather than later, but Mitchell not being on the radar is interesting.

None of the mock drafts coming out right now have the 2-3 upperclassmen that ultimately end up in the lottery every year. Last year, it was Keegan Murray, Jaden Ivey, and Johnny Davis. The year before that, it was guys like Franz Wagner and James Bouknight. Terquavian Smith does appear in a number of these mock drafts, but he's the token guy right now. We'll probably see big shakeups in these mock drafts by late November/early December.

Filipowski, Mitchell, and Proctor are the ones to watch. I assume, unless something goes way wrong, Whitehead and Lively are going to be 1st rounders to and through the June draft.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    None of the mock drafts coming out right now have the 2-3 upperclassmen that ultimately end up in the lottery every year. Last year, it was Keegan Murray, Jaden Ivey, and Johnny Davis. The year before that, it was guys like Franz Wagner and James Bouknight. Terquavian Smith does appear in a number of these mock drafts, but he's the token guy right now. We'll probably see big shakeups in these mock drafts by late November/early December.

Filipowski, Mitchell, and Proctor are the ones to watch. I assume, unless something goes way wrong, Whitehead and Lively are going to be 1st rounders to and through the June draft.
    Agreed. Whitehead and Lively are 100% gone. It also wouldn't be surprising if Jeremy wants to start his pro career after this season even if he's a second rounder (and the staff's prioritization of PGs in the 2023 class seems to indicate this is what they're thinking too, although obviously everyone would welcome Jeremy back with open arms if he wanted). So Kyle, Mark and Tyrese are the decisions that are the most likely to be question marks.

I'm going to take the perspective I've forced myself to adopt: if those guys (Jeremy included) play well enough that they like where their NBA stock is, it's more likely than not (guys like DJ Steward and Matt Hurt being exceptions, obviously... and some would argue Trevor as well) that they've done well enough in Duke uniforms to give us some memories and a very enjoyable season. In that case any return is a huge bonus and boost, not something to expect and get disappointed by.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Agreed. Whitehead and Lively are 100% gone. It also wouldn't be surprising if Jeremy wants to start his pro career after this season even if he's a second rounder (and the staff's prioritization of PGs in the 2023 class seems to indicate this is what they're thinking too, although obviously everyone would welcome Jeremy back with open arms if he wanted). So Kyle, Mark and Tyrese are the decisions that are the most likely to be question marks.

I'm going to take the perspective I've forced myself to adopt: if those guys (Jeremy included) play well enough that they like where their NBA stock is, it's more likely than not (guys like DJ Steward and Matt Hurt being exceptions, obviously... and some would argue Trevor as well) that they've done well enough in Duke uniforms to give us some memories and a very enjoyable season. In that case any return is a huge bonus and boost, not something to expect and get disappointed by.
    I view the challenge facing Duke as threading this needle. The team is selling itself as a pathway to the NBA. It's relatively easy to get the top 10 prospects to go to the draft and stick in the NBA. The trick is continuing to be that pathway for the elite but allowing near-elite players to stay and develop as long as they need. The 2022 team was just about the perfect situation. The team had the best record in the ACC and made the Final Four (and was a few phantom/incorrect foul calls from Bo Borowski from advancing to the Title Game in spite of an extremely cold shooting performance) yet place a junior, a sophomore, and two freshmen in the 1st round and another freshman in the 2nd round. If Duke is getting a sophomore and/or junior drafted almost every year, then Jon Scheyer will have threaded the needle.

I think that once scouts and mock drafters start seeing Mitchell's length and Proctor's skill in real games, those guys are gonna shoot up the draft boards. I'm telling ya, when you watch those two play basketball, you just come away really impressed. It is easy to see how their talents will translate to the next level. I dunno about both of them getting into the first round, but I would not be shocked if it happened.

I wonder a bit about Lively going high in the lottery. He really doesn't have much of an offensive game from what I have seen thus far. If he shows he can knock down 3s at a good clip, then his stock would certainly take off, but when I watched him play, Duke wasn't dreaming of getting him the ball in the post and he seemed little more than a lob threat. He is a quite effective rebounder though.

I think there are going to be games where Flip looks like a lottery pick and games where you barely notice him at all. The NBA draft evaluators may have wildly divergent views on him based on when they saw him play.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think that once scouts and mock drafters start seeing Mitchell's length and Proctor's skill in real games, those guys are gonna shoot up the draft boards. I'm telling ya, when you watch those two play basketball, you just come away really impressed. It is easy to see how their talents will translate to the next level. I dunno about both of them getting into the first round, but I would not be shocked if it happened.

I wonder a bit about Lively going high in the lottery. He really doesn't have much of an offensive game from what I have seen thus far. If he shows he can knock down 3s at a good clip, then his stock would certainly take off, but when I watched him play, Duke wasn't dreaming of getting him the ball in the post and he seemed little more than a lob threat. He is a quite effective rebounder though.

I think there are going to be games where Flip looks like a lottery pick and games where you barely notice him at all. The NBA draft evaluators may have wildly divergent views on him based on when they saw him play.
    I agree 100%. Mitchell jumped off the screen more than anyone in the summer footage, while Proctor is doing so in the snippets they've released of late (and was super impressive when I watched the footage of him from the FIBA Asia Cup). If either/both of them play like potential first round picks, we're going to have a good time this year (meme included for those who are South Park fans and sounds a touch familiar, haha).

6vq5fs.jpg

Based onw here Mark was drafted, I think if Lively shows he can shoot, even if he isn't a post threat, he should stay in the lottery. #6 does seem a bit high, though.

Hopefully the views on Flip are divergent enough that he feels the need to cement his draft status in Year 2...

Last year, 2 of the top 10 players in 247 didn't go pro (Emoni Bates, who blew up, and Hunter Sallis, who was solid for Gonzaga).

In the 10-25 range, a handful stuck around: Daimion Collins (KY), Caleb Houstan (Mich), Harrison Ingram (Stanford), Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (Louisville).

Among the lowest ranked 5 stars (26-29), 3 of the 4 stayed in college.

As for where this leaves our guys, who knows? My tendency--after watching some Duke Blue Planet and nothing about any of the other players in the country--is to assume that our top 7 guys will all be worthy of 1st round picks. But that does seem optimistic (or pessimistic, if we'd like some returning starters).

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Last year, 2 of the top 10 players in 247 didn't go pro (Emoni Bates, who blew up, and Hunter Sallis, who was solid for Gonzaga).

In the 10-25 range, a handful stuck around: Daimion Collins (KY), Caleb Houstan (Mich), Harrison Ingram (Stanford), Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (Louisville).

As for where this leaves our guys, who knows? My tendency--after watching some Duke Blue Planet and nothing about any of the other players in the country--is to assume that our top 7 guys will all be worthy of 1st round picks. But that does seem optimistic (or pessimistic, if we'd like some returning starters).
    Caleb Houstan went pro. He was drafted early in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Caleb Houstan went pro. He was drafted early in the 2nd round.
    I got really excited for a second that I had missed some major Michigan news, hahaha

Maybe. I think Mitchell COULD BE one of those guys whose game is ideally suited for the college ranks, but that makes NBA types nervous. He'll have to show legit combo forward skills. Read, perimeter skills. He's got an NBA SF body, but maybe a college PF game. The NBA isn't gagging for those type of players.

That said, I could see him being a late first round or early second round selection if things go his way this season. Obviously, higher than that depending on his game (if he starts hitting a legit 33% from three and playing solid perimeter D, he moves up). But MM might be fine with gambling on a late first or early second selection.

But "shooting up" draft boards is a bit of a stretch. I'm very enthuse about his game and what he'll do next year. My concern, on his behalf, from the NBA/draft POV, is that he's a tweener and those types of guys have dicey NBA values. The variance on that is so great that making any kind of firm prediction is tricky.

He's got an NBA SF body, but maybe a college PF game.
    If only there were a few examples of players that fit this mold, we might have an idea of Mitchell's potential. I mean, Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram, Jalen Johnson, Tari Eason, Jeremy Sochan, Jonathan Kuminga, Keldon Johnson, Patrick Williams, Scottie Barnes, and maybe a couple others drafted in the past few years come to mind. But there can't be another 10-20 players like that in the NBA. I could look, but what would be the point?

I tend to agree with this. I think Mitchell is going to surprise. We saw a bit of this in the McDonald’s game. I also think the bigs will have their moments but will be inconsistent game to game- I don’t either to be Marvin Bagley.

If only there were a few examples of players that fit this mold, we might have an idea of Mitchell's potential. I mean, Jayson Tatum, Brandon Ingram, Jalen Johnson, Tari Eason, Jeremy Sochan, Jonathan Kuminga, Keldon Johnson, Patrick Williams, Scottie Barnes, and maybe a couple others drafted in the past few years come to mind. But there can't be another 10-20 players like that in the NBA. I could look, but what would be the point?
    Sarcasm meter is quite high on this one! 😉

For folks who have not heard...
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ns-source-says

Should be a fun watch!
    The games is on ESPN2 at 10:00

G-League Ignite beat Metropolitans 92 by a score of 122-115. I haven't come across a box score yet, but I have a recap, an image, and a video:

2023top2.jpg