Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    With the arrival of Foster, I dont see Roach electing to return. I think the anticipation is that Foster will be handed the keys and learn on the go. And Foster is a fantastic looking prospect.

I think Jason alluded earlier that if Mitchell elected to return that the forwards room would be incredibly crowded. Even though Mgbako, Stewart and Power all have differences in their respective games, Mitchell may find it tough in a logjam for minutes.

I have no idea what is going through the mind of Proctor, but with McCain and Foster's arrival, I'm sure his minutes would see a little cap. Inevitably there has to be some attrition, either by declaring for the draft of transfer.
    Based off of what I am seeing from Stewart on ESPNU right now, not sure Mitchell is worried about him cutting into his minutes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I would tend to believe he goes overseas or the G-League route, but for all intents and purposes, does it matter? Lol.
    Of course it matters. As Duke fans, we want to see our players succeed. That applies if they go pro, or if they transfer. Proof in point, there's a Follow The Transfers thread.

And there's still plenty of this year to play, in which Roach may become healthier and make a major impact with improved play.
    So yes, it matters, and it's not all that funny to think it doesn't.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    This question answers itself. As far as I can tell he's not on a single mock draft board, and I can't recall a player ever leaving early to play overseas.

Kids that choose the G-League (especially in place of college) tend to be super-athletic but raw and don't want to be distracted by academics. As far as I can tell Roach is neither of those things, and he would probably make more on NIL than G-league anyway.

Roach will be the PG next season.
    Care to make a wager on that?

I am very confident Jeremy Roach will move on to the professional basketball ranks after this season. I think that is his intent and I really doubt there will be a NIL package that would convince him otherwise.

It is true that almost all the underclassmen who don't get a NBA contract play in the G-League for at least one year, mostly because the major international leagues want to see how they do against pro competition before signing them. I am sure there have been some kids to take the overseas route though, it just isn't all that common... though plenty of guys end up overseas after a year or two in the G-League.

-Jason "there is a pretty good argument that Roach has barely been the PG this season, largely playing a wing while Proctor and Blakes have been taking more of the PG role" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "there is a pretty good argument that Roach has barely been the PG this season, largely playing a wing while Proctor and Blakes have been taking more of the PG role" Evans
    I would not agree with this statement. Blakes has played barely any PG this season, though Proctor has had his moments as the PG. But Roach has been the lead guard. Not an efficient lead guard, but the lead guard.

If anything, I might say that we have not had any PG. But if we have to assign the title of PG to someone, Roach has played it most often.

I do, however, agree that he is most likely moving on next year.

NBADraft.net** has gone insane...

They have Kyle Filipowski going #35 in the 2023 draft. I sorta think that if Flip is teetering as a possible 2nd rounder, he will stick around as we know he was at least thinking about playing multiple years at Duke prior to him blowing up at the start of the season.

That's it. They have no other Dukies going in the 2023 draft.

In 2024... a bonanza.

Tyrese Proctor at #8
    Mackenzie Mgbako at #10
    Dariq Whitehead at #25
    Jared McCain at #28
    Mark Mitchell at #31 (first pick of the second round)
    and Dereck Lively at #43

This is laughable and insane... but fun to think about. I'm not sure there are enough scholarships to make all that work. Ha!

-Jason "** I know, no one thinks this site is legit, but I still find it fun to check it out" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They have Kyle Filipowski going #35 in the 2023 draft. I sorta think that if Flip is teetering as a possible 2nd rounder, he will stick around as we know he was at least thinking about playing multiple years at Duke prior to him blowing up at the start of the season.

In 2024... a bonanza.

Tyrese Proctor at #8
    Mackenzie Mgbako at #10
    Dariq Whitehead at #25
    Jared McCain at #28
    and Dereck Lively at #43

This is laughable and insane... but fun to think about. I'm not sure there are enough scholarships to make all that work. Ha!

-Jason "** I know, no one thinks this site is legit, but I still find it fun to check it out" Evans
    Yep, that is indeed crazy-town.

Especially

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep, that is indeed crazy-town.
    Completely wacko. To begin, Whitehead will be a lottery pick.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

In 2024... a bonanza.

Tyrese Proctor at #8
    Mackenzie Mgbako at #10
    Dariq Whitehead at #25
    Jared McCain at #28
    and Dereck Lively at #43

Yeah, as one of the people who's cited NBADraft.net a bunch in the past, they've lost all credibility with me now. They're only useful because they update their mock often and it's free to access. That's it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

To be honest, Duke could lose players such as Lively, Whitehead, Proctor, Roach and I think they are prepared for that. I think the guys in question, Mitchell & Flip (draft) & Young (Pro options or just done with college hoops) will be more impactful to the roster. The '23 class of 6-8 guys of Power, Mac, and Stewart and the combo guards of Foster and McCain are pretty good fits with Schutt, Blakes, Reeves but Duke keeping Flip and Young would make Duke a good post team. Mitchell might see a log jam at that combo forward spot.

Young-Reeves
    Flip-Stewart-Power
    Mac-Mitchell-Power
    Foster-Schutt
    McCain-Blakes

That roster would be good. If Young, Flip or Mitchell leave, Duke would have to hit the portal for a starting 5 and big guard that would play the 2 or 3 and be a good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    They're only useful because they update their mock often and it's free to access. That's it.
    Ironically, now that they go completely out of bounds and predict a Duke super-team in 2023-2024, I wish to subscribe to their newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Completely wacko. To begin, Whitehead will be a lottery pick.
    Whitehead's play over the last 5 games suggests to me that he will be. If he is actually, finally shaking off the rust and starts putting up 16, 18, dare we dream of not blowing dunks so that he can score 20?!?!?!, in any particular game he may very well jump back up into that discussion for #1, 2 or 3 pick. This is completely separate from what i would like to see from him on the court while at Duke, or what he needs to improve on.

I think any GM would be insane to draft Lively at all after what he's shown at Duke so far. However, there's plenty of season left for him to improve and whet that GM whistle. If he can just stay on the court long enough to average 2+ blocks, multiple made FGs and multiple rebounds per game, and stay healthy, it seems quite likely that some GM will take him. If he makes an elbow jumper or a 3FG over the rest of the year, all bets are off! He'll be drafted SUPER 1st!!! Meaning that the whole rest of the draft is cancelled and all aspiring early entrants will have to return to college for another year. A subsequent free-agent-o-rama will be arranged to sign NCAA college Sr. and super-Sr. aspirants, as well as international players.

Y'all are planning for a festive draft night in 2024.

As of two days ago, Adam Finkelstein thinks the party could start sooner. He outlined how Roach would go pro after this season and that FIVE other Duke players could be first rounders in 2023.
    https://247sports.com/Article/colleg...ski-202462547/

He didn't mention whether he'd had a chance to watch any of our games this year.

In 2024... a bonanza.

Tyrese Proctor at #8
    Mackenzie Mgbako at #10
    Dariq Whitehead at #25
    Jared McCain at #28
    and Dereck Lively at #43

This site has obviously devolved into some type of fan site with no real inside NBA scout sources (if it hadn't been that already)

Ignoring the scholarship factor, there is no way that all of Proctor, Lively, and Whitehead are going to be sticking around for a 2nd college season - no matter what their production ends up being after this season. And even Mark Mitchell is an extremely remote possibility.

Now I have a difficult time actually seeing Proctor or Lively being picked anywhere in the 2023 draft, but anyone who has been paying attention in these times knows this doesn't mean they are sticking around to try for the next one.

Nbadraft.net seems to have given up on basing their projections on any semblance of reality.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Y'all are planning for a festive draft night in 2024.

As of two days ago, Adam Finkelstein thinks the party could start sooner. He outlined how Roach would go pro after this season and that FIVE other Duke players could be first rounders in 2023.
    https://247sports.com/Article/colleg...ski-202462547/

He didn't mention whether he'd had a chance to watch any of our games this year.
    This looks like an article for the sheer purpose of hype. Going by this author's train of thought, I guess every Division 1 rotational player is a potential 1st rounder in this year's draft.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Ok, now that we have laughed at a joke of a mock draft, lets talk about the new mock down by CBS' Kyle Boone a couple days ago: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...ama-goes-no-1/

Dariq Whitehead #12 - First Duke checks in at the end of the lottery. Boone points out that Whitehead started slowly but has been playing better lately, scoring in double figures in recent Duke games. He says 12 is about the floor he sees for Whitehead. For those of you who think there is some chance he returns, this mock should dispel that notion.

Kyle Filipowski #19 - Kyle doesn't say much about Flip's stock or what NBA GMs think of him, just notes that he has been Duke's best player thus far and has a wide variety of skills.

Derek Lively #21 - Boone notes that Lively has been doing almost nothing while on the floor... but also notes that regardless of his play this year, he's gonna be a first round draft pick based on his measurables and potential.

Boone's mock does not include second-round projections.

Ok, now that we have laughed at a joke of a mock draft, lets talk about the new mock down by CBS' Kyle Boone a couple days ago: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...ama-goes-no-1/

Dariq Whitehead #12 - First Duke checks in at the end of the lottery. Boone points out that Whitehead started slowly but has been playing better lately, scoring in double figures in recent Duke games. He says 12 is about the floor he sees for Whitehead. For those of you who think there is some chance he returns, this mock should dispel that notion.

Kyle Filipowski #19 - Kyle doesn't say much about Flip's stock or what NBA GMs think of him, just notes that he has been Duke's best player thus far and has a wide variety of skills.

Derek Lively #21 - Boone notes that Lively has been doing almost nothing while on the floor... but also notes that regardless of his play this year, he's gonna be a first round draft pick based on his measurables and potential.

Boone's mock does not include second-round projections.
    This one seems MUCH closer to reality.

This one seems MUCH closer to reality.
    The reality, I fear, being that all but one or two of our nine regulars depart.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The reality, I fear, being that all but one or two of our nine regulars depart.
    I agree. I would only expect two to return, along with maybe one or both of the freshmen that are outside the rotation. Anything more than that is gravy.

I was merely talking about the actual draft picks, which of course doesn’t determine who all will return anymore.

I agree. I would only expect two to return, along with maybe one or both of the freshmen that are outside the rotation. Anything more than that is gravy.

I was merely talking about the actual draft picks, which of course doesn’t determine who all will return anymore.
    I can see the following definitely leaving for the draft:

Lively
    Whitehead
    Proctor
    Mitchell

I can see the following possibly leaving for the draft:

Roach
    Flip

I could see Mitchell possible staying and Roach definitely leaving, but with NIL money, who knows?

I imagine that Roach's injury might make it more likely that he doesn't stick around.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide