Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Draft

2023 NBA Draft

I know we have discussed Scott Hernderson and Victor Whambamthankyoumam in other threads, but I think it makes sense to have a dedicated thread for 2023 draft stuff at this point.

And lets kick it off with a 2023 mock draft from one of the more respected draft analysts around, The Athletic's Sam Vecenie: https://theathletic.com/3407947/2022...ampaign=601983

1. Victor Wembanyama - France
    2. Scoot Henderson - GLeague
    3. Cam Whitmore - Nova
    4. Nick Smith - Ark
    5. Dariq Whitehead - Duke - I've seen him listed 3rd in most other mocks
    6. Ausar Thompson - OTE
    7. Amen Thompson - OTE
    8. Keyonte George - Baylor
    9. Cason Wallace - Kentucky
    10. Derek Lively - Duke - Vecenie makes a great point... 10th is about the ceiling for traditional centers who are not freakish shooters or ballhandlers

Also of note--
    11. Terquavion Smith - NC State - if he lands in the lottery, his decision to return to school looks really great as he was a late first rounder if he had stayed in this year's draft
    19. Kris Murray - Iowa - Duke will get a taste of this dude in the Big Ten Challenge. Can he make the same leap his brother did?
    20. Kyle Filipowski - Duke
    25. Matthew Cleveland - FSU - Has all the physical tools, but I just did not see the skills a year ago. Can he develop anything from outside of the lane?
    29. Caleb Love - UNC
    37. Oscar Tshiebwe - Kentucky
    39. Emoni Bates - Eastern Michigan - I won't be shocked if even this is a stretch for him
    42. Armando Bacot- UNC
    45. Drew Timme - Gonzaga
    50. Hunter Dickinson - Michigan - I'm including this one as a way of inducing Scottdude to reply to this post

Neither Jeremy Roach nor Mark Mitchell are listed among his 2nd round picks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know we have discussed Scott Hernderson and Victor Whambamthankyoumam in other threads, but I think it makes sense to have a dedicated thread for 2023 draft stuff at this point.

And lets kick it off with a 2023 mock draft from one of the more respected draft analysts around, The Athletic's Sam Vecenie: https://theathletic.com/3407947/2022...ampaign=601983

3. Cam Whitmore - Nova
    4. Nick Smith - Ark
    6. Ausar Thompson - OTE
    7. Amen Thompson - OTE
    10. Derek Lively - Duke - Vecenie makes a great point... 10th is about the ceiling for traditional centers who are not freakish shooters or ballhandlers

Also of note--
    11. Terquavion Smith - NC State - if he lands in the lottery, his decision to return to school looks really great as he was a late first rounder if he had stayed in this year's draft
    19. Kris Murray - Iowa - Duke will get a taste of this dude in the Big Ten Challenge. Can he make the same leap his brother did?
    25. Matthew Cleveland - FSU - Has all the physical tools, but I just did not see the skills a year ago. Can he develop anything from outside of the lane?
    29. Caleb Love - UNC
    39. Emoni Bates - Eastern Michigan - I won't be shocked if even this is a stretch for him
    42. Armando Bacot- UNC
    45. Drew Timme - Gonzaga
    50. Hunter Dickinson - Michigan - I'm including this one as a way of inducing Scottdude to reply to this post

Is Tyrese Proctor listed at all?

Of course bacot and love will petition for extra years at unc and stay

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nope.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He is not.

3. Cam Whitmore - Nova
    4. Nick Smith - Ark
    6. Ausar Thompson - OTE
    7. Amen Thompson - OTE

4 out of the top 10 are projected not from college. That would "break the record" from recent years.

# of top 10 draft picks not from college
    2022: 1
    2021: 3
    2020: 3
    2019: 0
    2018: 1
    2017: 1
    2016: 2
    2015: 3
    2014: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Of course bacot and love will petition for extra years at unc and stay
    They don't need to petition. With the COVID 5th year in place, Armando Bacot (3 seasons down) can stay until the 2024 draft, while Caleb (2 seasons down) has a lot of Love left to give before the 2025 draft.

6. Ausar Thompson - OTE
    7. Amen Thompson - OTE
    Wow, this is really a thing. The 80's are back. I have "Doctor! Doctor!" playing in my head, but I guess "Hold Me Now" and "King for a Day" would work too. Or even "Lies", to circle back to UNC.

anyone notice that our guy Adam Silver says he wants to lower the NBA eligible age to 18 from 19 and hopes to work on that in the next CBA? If that happens, we're unlikely to see the very top guys in high school ever make it to college ball.

I disagree about traditional 5s. I think we will see those types of players go higher in future years. Esp DL. There are great bigs starting to play huge roles in the L. Take the No. 1 in 2023. He has to be defended.

I think a lot of folks are too keyed in on DL's O. I think he'll show out as a player who'll be able to guard the 2-5 but def the 3-5. I think DL will be a DPOY sooner rather than later. That is a top 5 guy I think.

Here are links to a bunch of additional lists. With a few exceptions, they are remarkably similar to each other.

I like NBC's 1st round (6 July)
    3 Whitehead
    6 Lively
    9 Flip
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-early-edition

From Gary Parrish at CBS, just the lottery (24 June):
    4 Whitehead
    8 Lively
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...y-projections/

Kyle Boone, also at CBS, just 1st round (9 July):
    8 Whitehead
    12 Lively
    21 Flip
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...022-23-season/

Top 148 from nbadraftroom (4 July):
    6 Whitehead
    15 Lively
    23 Flip
    36 Mitchell
    91 Roach
    https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/

Sports Illustrated, 1st round (25 June)
    4 Whitehead
    8 Lively
    26 Flip
    https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/draft...nba-mock-draft

Sporting News included tiers (26 June)
    Tier 2 (potential top 5, after a tier 1 that only included Wembanyama)
    5 Whitehead
    Tier 3 (potential lottery)
    10 Lively
    16 Flip
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...wwml8s6fj1cbac

NBAdraft.net, 2 rounds with no mention of Flip (8 July)
    3 Whitehead
    11 Lively
    https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

yahoo, 1 round; note the dramatic Lively/Whitehead reversal and Flip edging toward the lottery (24 June)
    8 Lively
    9 Whitehead
    16 Flip
    https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nba-mo...130835038.html

SBNation, 1st round
    8 Whitehead
    13 Lively
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2022/6/...coot-henderson

Tankathon, 1st rd (26 June)
    7 Whitehead
    8 Lively
    21 Flip
    https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...wwml8s6fj1cbac

oddschecker.com. A relatively unknown gambling site, but really stepping out by putting Flip before Lively
    3 Whitehead
    16 Flip
    22 Lively
    https://www.oddschecker.com/us/insig...1st-round-pick
    Last edited by johnb; 07-13-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    anyone notice that our guy Adam Silver says he wants to lower the NBA eligible age to 18 from 19 and hopes to work on that in the next CBA? If that happens, we're unlikely to see the very top guys in high school ever make it to college ball.
    In reality, I think that may be a good thing for coolege ball (or at least schools like Duke), since it will allow some continuity to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    In reality, I think that may be a good thing for coolege ball (or at least schools like Duke), since it will allow some continuity to be built.
    It won't help Duke. AS isn't talking about OAD. That is a non-starter amongst the owners. Too many of them got burned drafting OAD busts (or at least players that were drafted far too high). But the NBA wants to see 1 year of play versus post HS quality of competition. They just want the guys to be younger. OAD won't go anywhere.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

3. Cam Whitmore - Nova
    4. Nick Smith - Ark
    6. Ausar Thompson - OTE
    7. Amen Thompson - OTE

Also of note--
    29. Caleb Love - UNC
    42. Armando Bacot- UNC
    45. Drew Timme - Gonzaga

I felt something… something that called me to this thread… an INVITATION to talk about Michigan?!?

I’ll just say this so as not to derail things: I think Dickinson getting drafted at all would be great for him given the modern NBA. The fact that a dominant college big like Kofi Cockburn didn’t even get a late second round flier says a lot about how the NBA views these guys. That said, Dickinson is developing a perimeter shot that could differentiate him from Cockburn and make him a more similar prospect to Luka Garza, who stuck around with the Pistons last year more than I think many expected.

All that said, NIL will be interesting here. Michigan has been slow to adapt to the new world, and Dickinson has even called out the school for it. If Michigan can get up to speed there, you’d imagine a senior Dickinson could face a decision akin to Bacot this year, where he’d likely make more in college than on a 2-way deal. It’ll be interesting (for me) to track that storyline this year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    It won't help Duke. AS isn't talking about OAD. That is a non-starter amongst the owners. Too many of them got burned drafting OAD busts (or at least players that were drafted far too high). But the NBA wants to see 1 year of play versus post HS quality of competition. They just want the guys to be younger. OAD won't go anywhere.
    I am aware of why the NBA owners/GMs want to have kids play a year of college ball. But, lowering the age limit a year makes it easier for kids to take an alternative route.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    I think the elimination of OAD would be very good for Duke. We will still get the top players WHO PLAN TO COME TO COLLEGE. Duke is always going to be one of the top preferred destinations for guys playing in college. The difference would be, we will get kids who are thinking more about playing in college because the "get me to the NBA as fast as possible" folks won't even be looking at college any more.

We won't be signing 4+ recruits per year anymore though, because we will expect the kids who come to last longer at Duke.

I think the elimination of OAD would be very good for Duke. We will still get the top players WHO PLAN TO COME TO COLLEGE. Duke is always going to be one of the top preferred destinations for guys playing in college. The difference would be, we will get kids who are thinking more about playing in college because the "get me to the NBA as fast as possible" folks won't even be looking at college any more.

We won't be signing 4+ recruits per year anymore though, because we will expect the kids who come to last longer at Duke.
    Eh, I'm not sure. I'm guessing we'll still get top recruits, and many/most of them will still leave early. We'll see maybe a bit more continuity (a bit fewer one and dones, more two and dones), but probably not a lot more. And we'll also see a big drop in talent as more of the top guys go pro instead of college.

I feel like the most likely scenario is that we are a net push rather than a clear positive for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I'm not sure. I'm guessing we'll still get top recruits, and many/most of them will still leave early. We'll see maybe a bit more continuity (a bit fewer one and dones, more two and dones), but probably not a lot more. And we'll also see a big drop in talent as more of the top guys go pro instead of college.

I feel like the most likely scenario is that we are a net push rather than a clear positive for Duke.
    Yeah I kinda agree. Duke's identity with recruits is that we're the program that gets them to the league right away. Sure, we win too, and all the other benefits of being Duke, but the league is the main thing. If that advantage is removed, then the separation between us and some other programs, in the minds of these young guys, is likely to diminish.

3. Cam Whitmore - Nova
    4. Nick Smith - Ark
    6. Ausar Thompson - OTE
    7. Amen Thompson - OTE

Also of note--
    29. Caleb Love - UNC
    42. Armando Bacot- UNC
    45. Drew Timme - Gonzaga

I like Vecenie a lot and think he has done a reasonable job of trying to pick out which college returnees are likely to move up the rankings vs. the other mock drafts. That being said, no one had Wendell Moore in the 1st round this time last year. I'm not saying that Jeremy Roach will make the same kind of leap. Moore has a physical profile that fits the NBA while Roach does not. He can only guard one position, a major reason why Kennedy Chandler fell this year. I guess we shouldn't expect to see Roach on mock drafts even if he has big improvements across the board. He'd have to take a monumental leap. You can't really predict that.

Literally the ONLY reason to lower the age is to allow kids to go from high school straight to the NBA. It won't eliminate OAD, but it will seriously alter it.

I disagree about traditional 5s. I think we will see those types of players go higher in future years. Esp DL. There are great bigs starting to play huge roles in the L. Take the No. 1 in 2023. He has to be defended.

I think a lot of folks are too keyed in on DL's O. I think he'll show out as a player who'll be able to guard the 2-5 but def the 3-5. I think DL will be a DPOY sooner rather than later. That is a top 5 guy I think.
    DPOY generally doesn't translate to top 5 pick

2008 Hasheem Thabeet Connecticut
    2009 Hasheem Thabeet Connecticut
    2010 Jarvis Varnado Mississippi State
    2011 Kenneth Faried Morehead State
    2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky
    2013 Victor Oladipo Indiana
    Jeff Withey Kansas
    2014 Aaron Craft Ohio State
    2015 Willie Cauley-Stein Kentucky
    2016 Malcolm Brogdon Virginia
    2017 Jevon Carter West Virginia