Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Disappointed to see the NBC will be broadcasting some of the marquis (in my eyes) events Finals on Peacock. They talked up the women's 400 meter hurdles, then say you can watch it on their Pay affiliate instead of NBC Prime Time?! Bad style points NBC.
    This isn't just on NBC. Sports organizations can ask for any contract terms they like. They u$ually don't concern them$selve$ with which network carrie$ their event$.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    I’m so aggravated with the NBC coverage. I’m on Oregon time and didn’t even get last night’s broadcast live.
    My wife and I are in Oregon right now and we couldn't figure out how to watch the end of last night's session live. We were watching on CNBC when they announced that coverage was switching to NBC - except on the west coast (where, presumably, viewers would rather watch the Shark Tank re-run they broadcast instead).

We are not going to have that problem tonight and tomorrow as we are headed to Eugene to watch the events in person. Really looking forward to the men's 400M hurdles on Tuesday, but I now wish we bought tickets for last's nights session. Would have been fun to be there in person for a US sweep in the shot put and gold/silver finishes in both the women's pole vault and 110M hurdles.

By the way, does anyone have recommendations for things to do in Eugene?

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    My wife and I are in Oregon right now and we couldn't figure out how to watch the end of last night's session live. We were watching on CNBC when they announced that coverage was switching to NBC - except on the west coast (where, presumably, viewers would rather watch the Shark Tank re-run they broadcast instead).

We are not going to have that problem tonight and tomorrow as we are headed to Eugene to watch the events in person. Really looking forward to the men's 400M hurdles on Tuesday, but I now wish we bought tickets for last's nights session. Would have been fun to be there in person for a US sweep in the shot put and gold/silver finishes in both the women's pole vault and 110M hurdles.

By the way, does anyone have recommendations for things to do in Eugene?
    Be careful with that axe? Sorry, I'll show myself out.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Want to know how good of an athlete Shot put world champion Chase Ealey is? Watch her win the 100M state championship at the NM State High School meet her senior year.

youtu.be/dac_lpblo2E
    Skip to the 7:58 mark.

Sprint False Starts

They spent some time on last night's broadcast questioning the validity of the electronic starting 'watch dog' that identifies runners in starting block who "jump the gun."

So far, 3 athletes have been disqualified (there are no mulligans; you jump/you're out) from their finals/heats because of this. The metric used is that it is impossible for a person to start more quickly than 0.1 seconds after the starter pistol; you'd think that the metric would be crossing the starting line before the gun goes off. So the starting blocks are wired to measure the point at which the pressure from an athlete's start increases, relative to the starting gun. This is measured down to the 1/1000th of a second. In fact, Devon Allen (US 100m Hurdler finalist) was disqualified for starting 1/1000th of a second before he was 'supposed to."

I understand that runners who start early, especially in these short races, would have a major advantage. But it is ludicrous to create a metric like "0.1 sec" and have that make sense. Humans are not calibrated that way. Apparently the "0.1 sec" standard was created over 50 years ago from a study. My guess is that the accuracy and precision of study was limited by the technology of the day. Statistics, if they were taken, with the top athletes (the ones who matter in this argument) would likely show a Standard Normal distribution reaction times which would necessarily identify some athletes as reacting faster than "0.1 sec" (beyond the 3 sigmas). Video examination (by NBC) of the starts of the disqualified athletes suggests none of the disqualified athletes gained an advantage, nor could they tell that one athlete started before another.

The "0.1 sec" metric has been there for a while, but may not be adequate for measuring today's athletes. Although it has some 'scientific' background from an old study, it seems as oddly constraining as the 10000 steps metric that people use for their daily walking regimen. Even though 10000 steps was not based on science, but was a Japanese marketing campaign.
    https://www.victorchang.edu.au/blog/...on-10000-steps

It is useful to remember that these athletes have not necessarily crossed the starting line with this shorter reaction time; they're just being penalized for not starting slow enough.

What makes matters worse is that the starters are given discretion to NOT disqualify an athlete; the starting metric equipment is a guide. This is not unlike when mechanical/electronic spotters started to be used in Tennis (remember cyclops); the tennis official can overrule the electronic guide.

It is time to rethink the methodology and inject some common sense into the starting process.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Lyles leads Sweep for US in 200m

Noah Lyles set an American record in the 200m, eclipsing Michael Johnson's 19.32 by 1/100th of a second. The US also took the silver and bronze medals.

The first time since 1904, in the World Championships, that one country swept the 100m and 200m; the US did it with 6 different runners (unusual).

Is this track really fast or:
    1) Perfect conditions for fast times
    2) The competition (and athletes) are just that good
    3) This is a normal track

Where have the US 400m runners gone? In a sport that USed to be dominated by americans, now has few top runners. Perhaps our depth will win the 4x400 relay but that remains to be seen.

Larry
    DevilHorse

The US did pretty well in the 4x100m relays:

The women won the gold, just edging out Jamaica. The US had slightly better stick work than the Jamaicans today and it was close.

The men won the silver, just losing to Canada. Again, stick work made the difference. The US couldn't close the gap with the Canadians in the stretch.

4x400m relays tonight. Hoping for more hardware.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Poor Grant Fisher. Looked like he was on his way to medal in the 5k and was crowded into the rail with ~120 meters left in the race. Ended up finishing 6th. He's been on the brink of earning a medal few times already.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    The women won the gold, just edging out Jamaica. The US had slightly better stick work than the Jamaicans today and it was close.
    That's a pretty big upset, given that the Jamaicans swept the individual event. Stick work matters. Glad to see the American's come out on top.

In case you missed it:

A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    In case you missed it:

She’s incredible. And added a fantastic anchor performance last night in the 4x4 gold win.