Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Great Actor Gangsters are sleeping with the fishes

In one month...Henry Hill, Sonny Corleone and Paulie Walnuts.

I feel like I've been stabbed in the heart!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RAouUo3ik

always loved Sopranos episodes beginning with Pauli or Christopher walking into Tony's house carrying a new box with a microwave or food processor in it.

I can relate...years ago I ordered a Dell computer, watched its progress from Texas to NJ...but when it got to the warehouse in Secaucus, it was never seen again. Hope Carmela enjoyed it.

I've been wanting to share the news that Philip Baker Hall passed last month. One of those guys that you instantly recognize but usually can't name, so I didn't want to start a thread. After all, I once started a thread that an American Nobel Laureate in Literature had passed, and 1 person noticed. I don't like to clutter up the board.

Anyway, my lasting memory of Philip Baker Hall is as the library cop Mr. Bookman in Seinfeld. I figured he had to have played a gangster somewhere, and he played a crime boss in an episode of Monk. Still, here's one of the most memorable Seinfeld scenes ever:

Never broke character while Jerry could barely hold it together.

R.I.P.

Edit: And while I'm at it, Monty Norman, who composed the James Bond theme, has died at 94. R.I.P.
    Last edited by dudog84; 07-11-2022 at 06:33 PM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Some great, great characters. Paulie on The Sopranos is just amazing...so many of those Sopranos characters were incredibly rich. Except AJ. Brat.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Some great, great characters. Paulie on The Sopranos is just amazing...so many of those Sopranos characters were incredibly rich. Except AJ. Brat.
    And Tony Sirico had the extra benefit of having lived a real life of crime in his younger days before discovering acting, which he did “in the can.” You talk about bringing authenticity to a role! And nobody could give the “pointed index finger and pinky together” like Paulie Walnuts. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And Tony Sirico had the extra benefit of having lived a real life of crime in his younger days before discovering acting, which he did “in the can.” You talk about bringing authenticity to a role! And nobody could give the “pointed index finger and pinky together” like Paulie Walnuts. RIP.
    yeah, I think the Times obit mentioned he'd been arrested twenty some times beginning at age seven...

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I've been wanting to share the news that Philip Baker Hall passed last month. One of those guys that you instantly recognize but usually can't name, so I didn't want to start a thread. After all, I once started a thread that an American Nobel Laureate in Literature had passed, and 1 person noticed. I don't like to clutter up the board.

Anyway, my lasting memory of Philip Baker Hall is as the library cop Mr. Bookman in Seinfeld. I figured he had to have played a gangster somewhere, and he played a crime boss in an episode of Monk. Still, here's one of the most memorable Seinfeld scenes ever:

Never broke character while Jerry could barely hold it together.

R.I.P.

Edit: And while I'm at it, Monty Norman, who composed the James Bond theme, has died at 94. R.I.P.
    That was very funny! It was like listening to Jack Webb in a Dragnet scene!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I loved most of the actors on The Sopranos. The guy I couldn't stand was Michael Imperioli. I'm not a violent guy but I always felt like someone should just punch him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

I grew up with Henry Hill's son, Gregg. We used to play tennis together on the Junior High (Middle) School team and we practiced together at the local indoor tennis courts with a pro. Then I remember hearing about the Lufthansa Heist, which was a big part of Goodfellas, and never saw him again.

I love the depictions of the mafia on TV and the movies as much as anyone, but the fallout on others, including family, is really sad. In 2004 he and his sister wrote their story, which is interesting and heartbreaking.

https://www.amazon.com/Run-Mafia-Chi.../dp/044652770X
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I loved most of the actors on The Sopranos. The guy I couldn't stand was Michael Imperioli. I'm not a violent guy but I always felt like someone should just punch him in the face.
    You must have been very pleased with his character arc then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I grew up with Henry Hill's son, Gregg. We used to play tennis together on the Junior High (Middle) School team and we practiced together at the local indoor tennis courts with a pro. Then I remember hearing about the Lufthansa Heist, which was a big part of Goodfellas, and never saw him again.

I love the depictions of the mafia on TV and the movies as much as anyone, but the fallout on others, including family, is really sad. In 2004 he and his sister wrote their story, which is interesting and heartbreaking.

That's pretty wild. Goodfellas was a great flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Did he amuse you?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Anyway, my lasting memory of Philip Baker Hall is as the library cop Mr. Bookman in Seinfeld...
    Not long after reading this post a couple of weeks ago, I came across Philip Baker Hall on an episode of Good Times, one of his earliest acting credits. JJ and his girlfriend (Debbie Allen!) skip their senior prom, leave Chicago, and cross into the Indiana border to elope. Hall plays a motel manager. Found a clip:

Now Paul Sorvino. This is getting creepy.

https://apnews.com/article/paul-sorv...05ed8cdf6aa237

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Now Paul Sorvino. This is getting creepy.

https://apnews.com/article/paul-sorv...05ed8cdf6aa237
    Bad year for tough guys. My favorite Paul Sorvino role is his most unlikely one, the Southern preacher in Oh, God!

I don't why the video title says 1997, because it's from 1977, predating the peak of televangelism.

Yikes! Someone better check on Abe Vigoda.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yikes! Someone better check on Abe Vigoda.
    Too late. He's greeting them. Died in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Vigoda

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Too late. He's greeting them. Died in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Vigoda
    I know. Bad joke; he was rumored to be dead several times before he finally passed.

I know. Bad joke; he was rumored to be dead several times before he finally passed.
    Totally missed that one. Sorry.

We need sound on the board for your rimshots.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan