Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP James Caan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

RIP James Caan

Man, what a long resume in movies and television. Always the tough guy, even when he was playing a nice character.

82 years old. From the Godfather to Elf, something for everyone.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yep. He was pretty awesome. RIP.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

As a Wake Forest grad, I can attest that Brian's Song was pretty much require viewing.

A lot of great roles/characters: Mississippi (El Dorado), Brian Piccolo (Brian's Song), Sonny (The Godfather)...that's just off the top of my head.

R.I.P.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    A lot of great roles/characters: Mississippi (El Dorado), Brian Piccolo (Brian's Song), Sonny (The Godfather)...that's just off the top of my head.

R.I.P.
    He starred in one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. He was the detective partnered up with a Newcomer in Alien Nation.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He starred in one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. He was the detective partnered up with a Newcomer in Alien Nation.
    Thanks, I've put that on my list. I like guilty pleasures.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

R.I.P.
    Rollerball was one of my faves growing up.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Rollerball was one of my faves growing up.
    Yes! I was going to mention Rollerball but couldn't remember his character's name.

Yes! I was going to mention Rollerball but couldn't remember his character's name.
    Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wasn’t that partner played by Mandy Patinkin? Going just on memory here. Acting opposite Patinkin in his heavy makeup Caan said “at least he’s looking at a normal person, me I’m staring at Mr Potato Head.” Or words to that effect.

Here he is as a football coach leading a pre-game meeting in Perkins Library
    https://youtu.be/yYqu1OIFPfo?t=2117

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Wasn’t that partner played by Mandy Patinkin? Going just on memory here. Acting opposite Patinkin in his heavy makeup Caan said “at least he’s looking at a normal person, me I’m staring at Mr Potato Head.” Or words to that effect.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Here he is as a football coach leading a pre-game meeting in Perkins Library
    https://youtu.be/yYqu1OIFPfo?t=2117
    Forgot about The Program. I was among those at the sneak peak preview, before they cut out the "lying in the middle of the road scenes."

R.I.P.
    Misery. Poor guy.
    RIP Mr. Caan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!
    My memory isn't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Misery. Poor guy.
    RIP Mr. Caan.
    Oh boy, how could I forget that? Thanks for giving me a shiver.

He was in some stinkers (hey, even Tom Hanks was in Bosom Buddies) but he was always memorable no matter the part. Turned down Jack's role in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I've made some professional mistakes, but none that big!
    Last edited by dudog84; 07-07-2022 at 04:24 PM.

This is in the realm of six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. I remember being at a football game in the 60s (must have been 64 or 65) between Duke and Wake at the old Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston Salem. Duke had a decent team that year, so I remember expecting a win. Didn't work out that way. Wake Forest had a running game that the defense just couldn't stop. The reason for the unstoppable running game - Brian Piccolo.

RIP James Caan

versatile Jewish actor who could play a highly credible Italian mafia figure, that's for sure.

Wow. What an icon growing up. Brian’s Song. The Godfather. Rollerball. The under rated Thief. Later, Misery. Just a great actor. Great movies.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Forgot about The Program. I was among those at the sneak peak preview, before they cut out the "lying in the middle of the road scenes."
    I was there too. It's a forgettable film, probably not worth Duke's participation. I remember the audience cheered when a character mentions that the fictional Eastern State University beat UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Misery. Poor guy.
    RIP Mr. Caan.
    Yeah, I'm his #1 fan. He lent some gravitas to the otherwise silly TV show "Las Vegas".

Pretty sure no one else remembers this, but "Will & Grace" makes a bizarre James Caan reference:

[WILL EXITS FROM THE BATHROOM WEARING VERY SHORT ROBE.]

LEO: Wow. That, uh... Will, that robe needs pants.

WILL: Hey. Lotta men wear shorty robes. James Caan wears a shorty robe.
    So now every time I think James Caan, I think shorty robe.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    As a Wake Forest grad, I can attest that Brian's Song was pretty much require viewing.
    All-time great tearjerker and all-time great Henry Mancini theme song. With added bonuses of my girl crush Shelley Fabares, and Gale Sayers’ house played by the Bewitched house on the Warner Bros. lot.