Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2022 Tour de France

There's not much suspense as to the eventual winner, barring injury or catastrophe, but the last 2 days have been entertaining. American Powlus narrowly missed a stage win on the cobbles yesterday and the yellow jersey today. Roglic showed toughness by dislocating his shoulder after hitting a hay bale yesterday, popping it back in, and finishing in the lead group again today. They went over 130 miles today with 8K elevation gain with an average speed of over 30 mph! If they're not doping, they may not be human!

Thanks for posting. Somehow I have missed that it started. Have to get my DVR set up.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Sadly, for me, Podacar's ability to always find that extra gear no matter the conditions makes me think he's doping, so, I'm not a fan.

I am a fan of Mark Cavendish and I'm missing him on this tour. I'm loving Wout Van Aert this year though. Keep that green jersey, Wout!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sadly, for me, Podacar's ability to always find that extra gear no matter the conditions make me think he's doping, so, I'm not a fan.
    I guess it’s a level playing field, at least.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I guess it’s a level playing field, at least.

-jk
    After Lance Armstrong, there was a concerted effort to get the doping out of the Tour. Times came down, so, I'm guessing that for awhile it worked. Yesterday's stage was something like the third fastest ever, so, the doping has probably crept back in.

any more nincompoops lunging in front of the peloton with signs for Granny?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    any more nincompoops lunging in front of the peloton with signs for Granny?
    Not yet, thank goodness. Although Roglic was taken out by an officially laid out hay bale.

Not yet, thank goodness. Although Roglic was taken out by an officially laid out hay bale.
    “Hit the hay” translates a bit too literally to Slovenian.

Just watched today’s stage.

Wow.

Not a sign but a spectator standing on the cobbles took down 2 riders. One finished the stage but didn't start the next day due to a fracture in his neck. I believe the other broke his collar bone and fractured his pelvis.

Love the mountain stages, sooooooooo brutal. Today did not disappoint.

Battle for yellow had been fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Not a sign but a spectator standing on the cobbles took down 2 riders. One finished the stage but didn't start the next day due to a fracture in his neck. I believe the other broke his collar bone and fractured his pelvis.
    Yeah, I saw that. I don't know why they need those cobblestone stages. They are just there for the crashes which I do not find fun to watch.

Yeah, I saw that. I don't know why they need those cobblestone stages. They are just there for the crashes which I do not find fun to watch.
    Agreed. I understand that it is historic, but it is dangerous and it adds such an element of luck re: not having a mechanical. I think the last time they included them was 2018.

Paris-Roubaix is a classic in and of itself.

Battle for yellow had been fun to watch.
    It has been an exciting Tour! Love the battles between the yellow and the white jerseys. Glad to see Podacar have some real competition. I'm pulling for Vingegaard because he hasn't won before. I'm pulling for Gee to hold onto 3rd overall. Froome in 3rd on the Alpe d'Huez was a feel good story. I was pulling for him but how could you not fall in love with Thomas Pidcock? Simon Geschke fighting for the polka dots - and something for Cofidis to be happy about - that's another great story. Can Cofidis get a stage win? I'd love to see it.

I miss Mark Cavendish, my cycling boyfriend, though.

I didn't see if Caleb Ewan made it in under the time limit today - hope so!

It has been an exciting Tour! Love the battles between the yellow and the white jerseys. Glad to see Podacar have some real competition. I'm pulling for Vingegaard because he hasn't won before. I'm pulling for Gee to hold onto 3rd overall. Froome in 3rd on the Alpe d'Huez was a feel good story. I was pulling for him but how could you not fall in love with Thomas Pidcock? Simon Geschke fighting for the polka dots - and something for Cofidis to be happy about - that's another great story. Can Cofidis get a stage win? I'd love to see it.

I miss Mark Cavendish, my cycling boyfriend, though.

I didn't see if Caleb Ewan made it in under the time limit today - hope so!
    Really enjoying Neilson Powless too.

Now, to start watching a replay of today’s stage!

BD - he made it but looks like a hurting buckaroo. I don't miss Cavendish - can't put my finger on why I don't care for him. I just don't.

OPK - Would love to see Powless take over the polka dot jersey.

Wout Van Aert is the one I'm impressed with. Wonder if he will contest for the sprint win tomorrow or be cautious so as to avoid a possible crash so he doesn't jeopardize his chance to finish in Paris. Don't think anyone can catch him.

BD - he made it but looks like a hurting buckaroo. I don't miss Cavendish - can't put my finger on why I don't care for him. I just don't.

Wout Van Aert is the one I'm impressed with. Wonder if he will contest for the sprint win tomorrow or be cautious so as to avoid a possible crash so he doesn't jeopardize his chance to finish in Paris. Don't think anyone can catch him.
    Oh, me too! Love Wout, just hadn't gotten around to him in my last post.

Wout Wout!!

Jumbo is so good. Gonna be tough to displace Vingegaard, but I guess a bad day in the Pyrenees is possible. Wout is amazing, making Sagan a forgotten man. Happy for Sepp and sorry that Roglic is so far back.

Ineos is also impressive with three in the top 10. Pidcock might give Wout a run in coming years. Not sure Geraint or Yates are up to the GC task.

The French are struggling for stage wins. Maybe they can get one on the podium. Always have a soft spot for the home team.

Missing Alaphilippe, Dan Martin and Richie Porte. Cavendish is controversial but was mellower last year. And he's one stage win away from the record!

Let's hope Covid doesn't ruin things!