Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Status update

There goes my one remaining reason for ever visiting the Front Page.

Jim, I am sad to hear you won’t be writing your great stories on the site anymore. I have loved reading everything you wrote about for years. It won’t be the same anymore. Sadly, it’s looking like a lot of things will never be the same anymore. Good luck Jim. Please post some in the future!

Jeez, first Featherston, now Sumner… damn!

Jim, enjoy the peace and quiet, and don’t be a stranger.

look, whether you're writing for dbr or not, i still better not catch you without a powerade cup when the women climb the hill and get a home ncaa game again.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Jeez, first Featherston, now Sumner… damn!

Jim, enjoy the peace and quiet, and don’t be a stranger.
    Well, thankfully Jim is leaving of his own accord, and we'll still be hearing from him in one form or another.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    There goes my one remaining reason for ever visiting the Front Page.
    Ditto. I removed the front page from my RSS feed a month or so ago and haven't missed it. Between seasons it's mostly just clickbait anyway. Now with Jim gone, even less reason to visit even in-season.

Jim - I will also miss your insights into the baseball team and Coach Pollard; I hope those continue. Baseball is my #1 sport and it's been so great to see how he's improved the program (last season notwithstanding but with full
    knowledge it was a rebuilding year with tons of potential). Love the new pitching coach signing.

Anyone - what's Jim's twitter handle?

I appreciate local journalism generally, and sports beat writers specifically. I subscribe to the local rag out here in SD for several reasons, one of which is the Padres beat reporter, who used to cover the team, then covered the Chargers and then got promoted to columnist when Team Spanos decamped for LA.

A few months or more into the job, he asked for the Padres beat writer role back and the brass wisely said yes.

Jim Sumner is exactly this sort of writer. A true professional that develops relationships and balances his access with the ability to provide his independent insight.

Jim, thanks for your contributions. If you are going to be publishing mainly on social media, please let us know.

Thanks for all of your enjoyable writing over the years and best of luck to you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No, I can still post here. But I'm going to take a hiatus for the foreseeable future. My choice. Still processing things. I'll float down the stream for awhile and see where I end up.
    Please don't be a stranger, Jim. You really classed up the joint!

Youv just never know...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Ditto.

Anyone - what's Jim's twitter handle?
    I found him at @jls1950ral
    No soup for you!

I'm late to the game here (as is often the case) since I've been traveling. But thank you so much Jim for your writing and your insights into Duke and the ACC. Looking forward to hopefully seeing your writing in some form or other in the future.

I have been on DBR almost daily since the early days, though I rarely post. Jim's articles, enriched by a lengthy, passionate association with all things related to Duke sports, have been highlight reading to accompany my morning coffee.

Thank you Jim for all the insights and clarity you have brought to me about Duke sports.
    It sounds like you will continue to write, and I will gladly seek out your future missives.

Where will you be writing for now?

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    Jim, thank you for all the wonderful columns and posts over the years here at DBR (and before!). Your presence will be missed. Return to the boards when and in the manner you feel like. We'll all be glad to see your name pop up when you do! Best wishes in all your endeavors.

Also, my dad, "Jarhead" on these boards, , though he can no longer post himself, would want me to pass along his best wishes and appreciation, too.
    I remember Jarhead from the old days, sending best wishes.

Not going to bury the lede here.

I'm no longer writing for DBR.

Since SBN took over, my contract called for 3 articles per week for 52 weeks. During the football/basketball overlap I usually went well over that.

Last year I began discussions about reducing that workload. That was partially a concession to age; I'm 72 and the Covid years and the Coach K farewell tour proved challenging. But more importantly, I wanted more time for other projects. I haven't written a book in years and I have lots of ideas.

I made a number of very specific proposals, all of which would have involved my continuing to cover Duke football and basketball but with more time off during the off-season to decompress and work on other projects.

I never demanded more money, never gave any ultimatums.

Unfortunately, these discussions proved fruitless. I wanted to continue to share my love for and knowledge of Duke athletics with the DBR community indefinitely.

I was informed that was no longer possible.

Hey, it's not my site and never was. Stuff happens and we move on.

I will continue to cover Duke sports for other venues and am on FB and Twitter for anyone who wishes to talk Duke sports.

I'm proud of the work I did for DBR for two decades and value the many cyber-friends I've made here.

I wish everyone the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I'll miss you guys.

Peace, out.

Jim Sumner
    One two separate occasions, I've pulled the plug after concluding that this site/these boards were diminishing my enjoyment of Duke athletics more than enhancing it. And twice I've returned because I couldn't fully process a major change - most recently the Cutcliffe to Elko transition - w/o the benefit of Jim's insights. While I feared this sort of day when the SBN deal was announced, it still sucks.

Thank you, Jim.

I'll look for you on twitter, and keep my fingers crossed I get to be the first to sign up for a substack or patreon.

Thank you

Thank you Jim, for your always informing and stimulating contributions to this community. And, congratulations for doing what's best for you.

rasputin

Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Some posters have asked about future plans.

I will continue to write for Go Duke: the Magazine, as I have since the middle 1990s, when it was Blue Devil Weekly.

I also am exploring some other options, with the three goals of continuing to write about Duke athletics, getting paid enough to make it worth my while and reaching as many readers as possible.

So, I need some input. No one has ever had to pay to read what I’ve written for DBR. How many of you are willing to pay to read my articles, how much, what format, and so forth?

This is where we need to move the discussion off DBR. I have too much respect for the community Julian and SBN have built to have it otherwise.

So, I’m asking for feedback off site, positive, negative, indifferent. I can be reached via email at jimsumner@earthlink.net or on Facebook Messenger. I’m Jim Sumner on FB.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Some posters have asked about future plans.

I will continue to write for Go Duke: the Magazine, as I have since the middle 1990s, when it was Blue Devil Weekly.

I also am exploring some other options, with the three goals of continuing to write about Duke athletics, getting paid enough to make it worth my while and reaching as many readers as possible.

So, I need some input. No one has ever had to pay to read what I’ve written for DBR. How many of you are willing to pay to read my articles, how much, what format, and so forth?

This is where we need to move the discussion off DBR. I have too much respect for the community Julian and SBN have built to have it otherwise.

So, I’m asking for feedback off site, positive, negative, indifferent. I can be reached via email at jimsumner@earthlink.net or on Facebook Messenger. I’m Jim Sumner on FB.

I appreciate your input.
    Replied on FB messenger.

Late to the party, can't say anything better than has already been said. Best of luck, hope to still see you around here even in reduced fashion.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan