Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Status update

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Even a romantic comedy?
    Leave OPK’s honeymoon out of this thread, please.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I second this comment. If Jim writes a book and gets it published, I will buy it.
    I'd happily paint the cover!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thank you and Godspeed!

Dear Jim,

After my initial shock and sadness, and a bit of anger at SBN [really, guys?!], I was gladdened to read the many posts giving you your proper due. Thank you for who you are and for sharing your amazing expertise with our Duke sports community.

Please write your book quickly, no pressure. :-)

John Ruskin, a British poet and philosopher, said, "Where love and skill go together, expect a masterpiece!" That is what you gave us time after time. Thank you, Jim, GodSpeed and Go Yankees!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Dagnabbit, SBN! You fools!

Jim, thank you for all the wonderful columns and posts over the years here at DBR (and before!). Your presence will be missed. Return to the boards when and in the manner you feel like. We'll all be glad to see your name pop up when you do! Best wishes in all your endeavors.

Also, my dad, "Jarhead" on these boards, , though he can no longer post himself, would want me to pass along his best wishes and appreciation, too.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Sorry to hear this. I will miss your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Best of luck, Jim..this is how bidness in the 21st century seems to work...
    It's how bad business works in the 21st century. While running a company, I long ago learned that some time from one of my best employees was infinitely more valuable than lots of time from someone less talented. It's bean counters staring at spreadsheets with KPI's and revenue metrics who drive enterprises into mediocrity.

Will greatly miss your contributions.

What a huge loss!

Best wishes to you Jim and all your future endeavors.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Jim, thank you for years of your insight and knowledge of Duke sports. You will be sorely missed but I do understand your position and wish you the very best.
    Live well.

Jim -

Been reading and enjoying your pieces for a very long time. I wish this were more of a mutual decision, but rather than lingering on the separation, I will choose to remember all the great material you offered to this community.

I understand the raw feelings, but I strongly urge you to stay active on this board. You are definitely one of the most informed and articulate voices here, and DBR would be much the worse if you were silenced.

Happy trails regardless of what passions you choose to pursue. Wishing you nothing but the best.

Thank you, Jim, for all the years of insight and intelligent analysis. Best of luck going forward. Please stop in once in a while, maybe after games against that gang of boobs down the road?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Damn, I’m totally speechless about this. It’s amazing how stupid corporations can be at times. Some Jim Sumner is much better than no Jim at all. In today’s world one needs to do what one can n taking care of yourself is the most important thing! I will miss you big time Jim! You offered us so much insight. God speed to you Jim n do what’s best for yourself n provide any information you want when your ready. Good luck!

On a side note this has been one tough weekend! We lose Jim’s writings now n Friday we had the last Packer n Durham show on the ACC Network. I really enjoyed those two in the morning. I’m so gonna miss those two as well!

I’ll follow elsewhere, Jim. I really enjoyed your articles.
    No soup for you!

It’s telling that the key issue was a linguistic misunderstanding.

When SBN requested 3 articles per week per year, they meant a certain number of words divided into globs with a headline and byline that might trigger a click.

When Jim considered the request for so many articles, he heard an endless stream of carefully crafted pieces of observation, leavened with memory and salted with perspective.

Different animals.

It does help me understand why so many trashy articles get published under the SBN banner.

And it reminds me of the old saying, “if you feel disillusioned, you were illusioned in the first place.”

Jim, your work is much appreciated. Keep it up. I hope you make this a draw play that you spring for a long gain—and keep us posted on how to find your work.

Duke games were not complete until we read Jim Sumner's account. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    It’s telling that the key issue was a linguistic misunderstanding.

When SBN requested 3 articles per week per year, they meant a certain number of words divided into globs with a headline and byline that might trigger a click.

When Jim considered the request for so many articles, he heard an endless stream of carefully crafted pieces of observation, leavened with memory and salted with perspective.

Different animals.

It does help me understand why so many trashy articles get published under the SBN banner.

And it reminds me of the old saying, “if you feel disillusioned, you were illusioned in the first place.”

Jim, your work is much appreciated. Keep it up. I hope you make this a draw play that you spring for a long gain—and keep us posted on how to find your work.
    Jim is an author in a TikTok world.

I wish I had something more to add, but so many here expressed my thoughts. This is a huge loss for our community. You will be missed, and I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No, I can still post here. But I'm going to take a hiatus for the foreseeable future. My choice. Still processing things. I'll float down the stream for awhile and see where I end up.
    Please do. I especially enjoy getting a younger man’s perspective (I’m 76). 😄

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Not sure I have much else to add other than to echo everyone else's sentiments: you will be sorely missed, Jim. I hope that you'll still be around on the board, even in a reduced capacity. I look forward to reading whatever you write next.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Maybe Jim will get snatched up by the Big 10.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

This reminds me of when the Paxton group took over the Durham Herald and fired Al Featherson. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the writings of a contemporary who knew so much of Duke history. While I give all credit to Coach K, Duke had a terrific sports history preK. Your insight will be sorely missed. Why does so much of contemporary life have to be so damn depressing?