Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Status update

Wow, I just got my copy of Tales From the Blue Devil Locker Room. It's next on my reading list, but I already know I will like it.

***Stunned silence***

I wish you all the best.

Very sad to hear this news. This is the unfortunate ending of an era for DBR. Thank you for your irreplaceable contributions and best wishes on your upcoming books.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not going to bury the lede here.

I'm no longer writing for DBR.

Since SBN took over, my contract called for 3 articles per week for 52 weeks. During the football/basketball overlap I usually went well over that.

Last year I began discussions about reducing that workload. That was partially a concession to age; I'm 72 and the Covid years and the Coach K farewell tour proved challenging. But more importantly, I wanted more time for other projects. I haven't written a book in years and I have lots of ideas.

I made a number of very specific proposals, all of which would have involved my continuing to cover Duke football and basketball but with more time off during the off-season to decompress and work on other projects.

I never demanded more money, never gave any ultimatums.

Unfortunately, these discussions proved fruitless. I wanted to continue to share my love for and knowledge of Duke athletics with the DBR community indefinitely.

I was informed that was no longer possible.

Hey, it's not my site and never was. Stuff happens and we move on.

I will continue to cover Duke sports for other venues and am on FB and Twitter for anyone who wishes to talk Duke sports.

I'm proud of the work I did for DBR for two decades and value the many cyber-friends I've made here.

I wish everyone the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I'll miss you guys.

Peace, out.

Jim Sumner
    As a fellow son of Robeson County, I have to say: That just ain't right.

Enjoy your well-deserved downtime, Jim; and best wishes for success and satisfaction in your next venture. We are, of course, immensely grateful for your contributions to the DBR, and hope that you will favor us with your further participation in this forum if and when you're ready to return. Stay safe and keep smiling!

A DBR institution is moving on. To echo other sentiments expressed upthread, a sad day in DBR history. Jim Sumner was as Duke as Duke gets. Not just a consummate professional writer, by all accounts, seemingly a good man too. We will miss you very much, Jim. Please keep posting on the boards, on your own timeline and accord, of course, and don’t be a stranger. I think the ultimate compliment I witnessed you receiving was the way Coach K treated and communicated with you in postgame pressers. It was evident to me you were one of his favorites. And by the way he communicated with the majority of others in the press, that’s saying something about your relationship with Duke basketball.

Hope to read some more of your stuff down the road. Take care of yourself, Jim.

Good luck Jim Sumner. I always was enlightened by your posts. I appreciated your knowledge of the Pre -Coach K era of Duke sports. Vic Bubas Bill Murray Tom Harp Bucky Waters Bill Foster Mike McGee and other Duke sports teams. Have a good summer.

Since SBN took over, my contract called for 3 articles per week for 52 weeks. During the football/basketball overlap I usually went well over that.

Last year I began discussions about reducing that workload. That was partially a concession to age; I'm 72 and the Covid years and the Coach K farewell tour proved challenging. But more importantly, I wanted more time for other projects. I haven't written a book in years and I have lots of ideas.

I made a number of very specific proposals, all of which would have involved my continuing to cover Duke football and basketball but with more time off during the off-season to decompress and work on other projects.

Unfortunately, these discussions proved fruitless. I wanted to continue to share my love for and knowledge of Duke athletics with the DBR community indefinitely.

I will continue to cover Duke sports for other venues and am on FB and Twitter for anyone who wishes to talk Duke sports.

I'm proud of the work I did for DBR for two decades and value the many cyber-friends I've made here.

I'll miss you guys.

Peace, out.

Jim Sumner
    Not happy to hear this but we look forward to a new book. I also hope your posting hiatus is short but I understand your need for time.

Jim - thanks for your thoughtful articles, contributions to the forum, boundless knowledge of southern sports history and insight into all things Duke. Good luck diving into the new book and we look forward to the results!

I'm really bummed. Your writing is second to none as is your knowledge of everything Duke. I'll miss you and hope you do continue to post here on DBR.
    Go Duke and for you, GoYankees.

I'll miss you guys.

Peace, out.

Jim Sumner
    You are my most trusted source on the site. If I see Jim Sumner as the last post in a thread, I click. Thanks for everything!

Good luck with your future endeavors. Your work was outstanding.

Best of luck in the future, Jim. I've grown accustomed to people making stupid decisions unfortunately in today's world and this just follows that moronic path. I'll be following and eagerly awaiting the book(s). Easiest and best way to cope with a loss was to read your comments and recaps to snap back into reality. I tip my cap to you.

Godspeed, Mr. Sumner.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Best of luck, Jim..this is how bidness in the 21st century seems to work...

Dangnabit!
    Jim, I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to those books.
    As others have said, don't be a stranger.

We will miss you Jim.

I am happy you see opportunity in this. Godspeed.

Jim, please feel free to post commentary on this forum, linking where appropriate. After all, we here on DBR want referenced sources, and anything from an authority like Jim Sumner needs to be properly linked. Besides, that way those of us on the forum are sure we aren't missing your stuff.

Speaking of which, I was looking at the references in "The Secret Game" the other day, and noticed you were prominently cited as source material. I'm not sure why SBN (Stupid Bumbling Nincompoops) doesn't want coverage - in whatever quantity - by such a respected authority and obvious expert. I hope whatever you end up doing is rewarding, and if that happens to be a book, I'm sure many here, myself very much included, will want to buy a copy. Best of luck moving forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I hope whatever you end up doing is rewarding, and if that happens to be a book, I'm sure many here, myself very much included, will want to buy a copy. Best of luck moving forward!
    I second this comment. If Jim writes a book and gets it published, I will buy it.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I second this comment. If Jim writes a book and gets it published, I will buy it.
    While we are waiting, lets not forget

Tales from the Duke Blue Devils Locker Room https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Duke-Bl...1&unfiltered=1

So You Think You're a Duke Blue Devils Basketball Fan? https://www.amazon.com/Think-Youre-D...5&unfiltered=1

True Blue: A Tribute to Mike Krzyzewski's Career at Duke (with Dick Weiss) https://www.amazon.com/True-Blue-Tri...7&unfiltered=1

Jim has given Duke fans plenty of good reading already!

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Jim has given Duke fans plenty of good reading already!
    There are a couple of Al Featherston books on my bookshelf so it is time to add a Jim Sumner book to my collection.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Even a romantic comedy?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide