Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Status update

Status update

Not going to bury the lede here.

I'm no longer writing for DBR.

Since SBN took over, my contract called for 3 articles per week for 52 weeks. During the football/basketball overlap I usually went well over that.

Last year I began discussions about reducing that workload. That was partially a concession to age; I'm 72 and the Covid years and the Coach K farewell tour proved challenging. But more importantly, I wanted more time for other projects. I haven't written a book in years and I have lots of ideas.

I made a number of very specific proposals, all of which would have involved my continuing to cover Duke football and basketball but with more time off during the off-season to decompress and work on other projects.

I never demanded more money, never gave any ultimatums.

Unfortunately, these discussions proved fruitless. I wanted to continue to share my love for and knowledge of Duke athletics with the DBR community indefinitely.

I was informed that was no longer possible.

Hey, it's not my site and never was. Stuff happens and we move on.

I will continue to cover Duke sports for other venues and am on FB and Twitter for anyone who wishes to talk Duke sports.

I'm proud of the work I did for DBR for two decades and value the many cyber-friends I've made here.

I wish everyone the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I'll miss you guys.

Peace, out.

Jim Sumner

Jim,

We'll miss your articles and your posts very, very much. They were a wonderful contribution to Duke sports. And, don't be a stranger.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The hits keep coming. Best of luck and thank you for all of your contributions! You will be missed.

Jim, thanks for all you great contributions here. We will sorely miss them in the future. Please let us know about any new books that you author. Cheers!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Jim, your articles have been the best content on this site for a long time. You will be very missed. Good luck on your book projects.

Jim...thanks for all of your contributions and insights. Let us know when the book project(s) are near completion. I am sure they will be must reads for folks on this board.

Huge loss, best of luck and I look forward to seeing your future projects!

Jim

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Your writing will be sorely missed.
    Last edited by Travis; 07-02-2022 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Well, this is unwelcome news.

Is there a reason the poster named jimsumner wouldn’t be allowed or wouldn’t care to post occasionally on EK, as different from the essayist named Jim Sumner, whose articles/essays will no longer appear on the front page?

Selfishly, I am sad for us but happy for you. Good on you for placing your happiness first. Well done, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not going to bury the lede here.

I'm no longer writing for DBR.

Since SBN took over, my contract called for 3 articles per week for 52 weeks. During the football/basketball overlap I usually went well over that.

Last year I began discussions about reducing that workload. That was partially a concession to age; I'm 72 and the Covid years and the Coach K farewell tour proved challenging. But more importantly, I wanted more time for other projects. I haven't written a book in years and I have lots of ideas.

I made a number of very specific proposals, all of which would have involved my continuing to cover Duke football and basketball but with more time off during the off-season to decompress and work on other projects.

I never demanded more money, never gave any ultimatums.

Unfortunately, these discussions proved fruitless. I wanted to continue to share my love for and knowledge of Duke athletics with the DBR community indefinitely.

I was informed that was no longer possible.

Hey, it's not my site and never was. Stuff happens and we move on.

I will continue to cover Duke sports for other venues and am on FB and Twitter for anyone who wishes to talk Duke sports.

I'm proud of the work I did for DBR for two decades and value the many cyber-friends I've made here.

I wish everyone the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I'll miss you guys.

Peace, out.

Jim Sumner
    That was remarkably shortsighted of SBN. I'm so sorry to see you go! You'll be missed.

-jk

I'm bummed.

Your articles and posts have always been interesting and useful.

I hope you still keep in touch if posting here as a regular user isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    That was remarkably shortsighted of SBN. I'm so sorry to see you go! You'll be missed.

-jk
    What -jk and everyone else said. Best wishes Jim, I look forward to reading your stuff elsewhere. LGD GTHcGTH 9f!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It is SBN’s loss.

Sorry you won’t be writing here anymore. Hope you will still post though! And best wishes on your future projects. You’ve earned it!!!

Jim, can never forget your articles on the history of Duke football and your posts on Slavery, Succession and the Civil War. Best of luck in your new endeavors.

I must chime in, too, Jim. I will certainly miss your insights and recall. You walk with the best. You talk with the best. A best of all, you write with the best.

I've been following along with you since you chose to join the DBR near its inception. I hate to be with you as you as similarly you choose to end your DBR connection. But you were more than a contributing member. You were its leader and one of its historians (Jumbo was the other). Your commentary made this site rich and losing you is a major loss to the site. You are the professional we all hate to see hanging it up.

Write that book. SBN doesn't understand. We do.

Dang. This is a major bummer. Jim’s game recaps were excellent.

Terrible news for the rest of us. I value the insights and opinions of no poster or article writer on this site more than yours, Jim. I wish you only the best going forward and hope you can remain engaged on these boards in any way you are comfortable with.

So sorry that you and SB Nation couldn't come to terms. This is a big loss for fans of DBR and Duke sports reporting.

Best of luck to you. Another book sounds great!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Big loss for us. Best wishes on the book and other projects.

Somehow I missed your posts on Slavery, Succession and the Civil War. If you get a chance, maybe you can point me in the right direction.