Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Front page not handling this realignment news too well……..

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Front page not handling this realignment news too well……..
    Neither am I.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

From the Jack White Update:

Jeff’s senior was 95-96. K’s leave was the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    From the Jack White Update:

Jeff’s senior was 95-96. K’s leave was the previous year.
    Actually Capel’s senior year was 96-97. K was out his (and my) sophomore year. So you are still correct that the article is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Actually Capel’s senior year was 96-97. K was out his (and my) sophomore year. So you are still correct that the article is wrong.
    Thanks. Of course you are right. 95-96 was Chris Collins senior year. Getting old sucks. There was a time when my friends and I could run down the rosters over 15 years. Now I can barely go back two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    In the brief commentary on Marvin Bagley there are mutiple references to Luka Doncic getting drafted first in 2018. The problem being he was drafted third and Deandre Ayton was drafted first. Another reason I rarely read the front page.
    Well, JD needs an editor or at least a proof reader; this is not his first article with errors. He could probably find a knowledgeable volunteer among the folks here, if he asked around.

It's surprising to me that SBNation doesn't require any review before publishing, from a legal aspect if not accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You’re likely correct in saying that Duke would not have won that first national championship without Grant Hill. However, Zion Williamson was a better college player than Grant……in the sense that Zion reached a higher, more dominant level in his one Duke season than Grant did in any of his four seasons.

That’s my opinion, for what’s it worth. And I fully admit it’s not worth much. 😉
    I mean there’s validity to what you wrote, but let’s just call them equal in the spirit of compromise. I will say that Grant was phenomenal in skill, talent, and being a team player — as was Zion — and he was also a heck of a passer and sharing the floor with the greatest ncaa player in history (by stats) and a host of many talented upper classmen. But when they left he took Duke deep and then to a third final that they shoulda coulda won pretty much on his shoulders. Grant went to 3 NCAA finals and won two. And against historically strong and memorable teams — UNLV (undefeated), Fab 5, Arkansas — plus the teams like Indiana, Purdue etc that he had to get through along the way. Whether a team player or leader that took the team on his back it’s hard to question that Grant was the best versatile player in Duke history. I’m hoping to see Zion rise up after the contract bump and get back on track to greatness.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I think it's great that we point out when there are obvious typos/oversights on the front page, but maybe we can all back off a bit on the hypercriticism that's emerging from this thread. Sports writing is a challenging endeavor, as much as we all like to think we're amateur writers with our posts in the forum, haha... and JD is typically making 3-4 posts a day (even in the offseason!) for the front page. That's a lot of work on his shoulders, and mistakes are bound to happen.

I'm lucky enough to be able to write on a mostly volunteer basis for the front page and love doing so. That doesn't afford me any extra insight into the goings on of DBR, but I have to imagine that the existence and maintenance of this forum is supported, at least in part, by the content on the front page. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's also not meant to be The Athletic. I think we should try to find a bit more balance between rightfully criticizing front page content (mine included, haha) when necessary while also appreciating the work that goes into running what I believe is the largest Duke Basketball fansite on the internet.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I think it's great that we point out when there are obvious typos/oversights on the front page, but maybe we can all back off a bit on the hypercriticism that's emerging from this thread. Sports writing is a challenging endeavor, as much as we all like to think we're amateur writers with our posts in the forum, haha... and JD is typically making 3-4 posts a day (even in the offseason!) for the front page. That's a lot of work on his shoulders, and mistakes are bound to happen.

I'm lucky enough to be able to write on a mostly volunteer basis for the front page and love doing so. That doesn't afford me any extra insight into the goings on of DBR, but I have to imagine that the existence and maintenance of this forum is supported, at least in part, by the content on the front page. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's also not meant to be The Athletic. I think we should try to find a bit more balance between rightfully criticizing front page content (mine included, haha) when necessary while also appreciating the work that goes into running what I believe is the largest Duke Basketball fansite on the internet.
    But your point is well-taken, but I think we'd all be much more receptive to this point of view and JD's workload had Jim not been effectively fired within the last week.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    But your point is well-taken, but I think we'd all be much more receptive to this point of view and JD's workload had Jim not been effectively fired within the last week.
    True, the timing isn't great on that front. While I know nothing about the intricacies of that situation, I got the sense that Jim's decision might have been more driven from SBN rather than DBR pressures. I'm sure there were plusses and minuses to coming under the SBN umbrella (I think that happened at least a year or two back now), and those minuses may have included extra obligations to new corporate overlords.

Again, pure speculation on my part... I'm strictly a volunteer/very part time front page writer and not at all privy to the inner workings of the site. But I have to imagine there are a ton of moving pieces and things that factored into Jim's decision plus some of the other things that have been discussed in this thread that we all aren't aware of.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Here's the thing, if someone doesn't want criticism, don't do the job. I personally hate the constant use of the term "we" to refer to his personal opinions which many of us don't share; commentary that is so speculative that it borders on silly and would lead to rebukes if posted on the threads; "YouTube Gold" that is neither golden, nor related to Duke basketball. I don't think any of these are criticisms that are not justified of someone claiming space on the front page of a Duke Basketball site.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Thanks. Of course you are right. 95-96 was Chris Collins senior year. Getting old sucks. There was a time when my friends and I could run down the rosters over 15 years. Now I can barely go back two seasons.
    It's not just your age that makes it difficult ... the annual roster revamping at Duke certainly adds to the challenge.

True, the timing isn't great on that front. While I know nothing about the intricacies of that situation, I got the sense that Jim's decision might have been more driven from SBN rather than DBR pressures. I'm sure there were plusses and minuses to coming under the SBN umbrella (I think that happened at least a year or two back now), and those minuses may have included extra obligations to new corporate overlords.

Again, pure speculation on my part... I'm strictly a volunteer/very part time front page writer and not at all privy to the inner workings of the site. But I have to imagine there are a ton of moving pieces and things that factored into Jim's decision plus some of the other things that have been discussed in this thread that we all aren't aware of.
    If anyone spots an error on the front page you can email Julian (at heydbr@gmail.com ) or PM me. Either is more likely to get a correction than simply posting about it on the boards!

thanks,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    I mean there’s validity to what you wrote, but let’s just call them equal in the spirit of compromise. I will say that Grant was phenomenal in skill, talent, and being a team player — as was Zion — and he was also a heck of a passer and sharing the floor with the greatest ncaa player in history (by stats) and a host of many talented upper classmen. But when they left he took Duke deep and then to a third final that they shoulda coulda won pretty much on his shoulders. Grant went to 3 NCAA finals and won two. And against historically strong and memorable teams — UNLV (undefeated), Fab 5, Arkansas — plus the teams like Indiana, Purdue etc that he had to get through along the way. Whether a team player or leader that took the team on his back it’s hard to question that Grant was the best versatile player in Duke history. I’m hoping to see Zion rise up after the contract bump and get back on track to greatness.
    Agree on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Here's the thing, if someone doesn't want criticism, don't do the job. I personally hate the constant use of the term "we" to refer to his personal opinions which many of us don't share; commentary that is so speculative that it borders on silly and would lead to rebukes if posted on the threads; "YouTube Gold" that is neither golden, nor related to Duke basketball. I don't think any of these are criticisms that are not justified of someone claiming space on the front page of a Duke Basketball site.
    It's the never ending Muggsy Bogues worship that does it for me...
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Yet another front-page foul: who is this DJ Stewart? This board is relentless when it comes to misspelling players names. I know, cuz i done it. Both on the giving and receiving end. Sheldon Williams anyone?
    DJ Steward may have made (what many here consider) a poor decision to leave Duke after his Fr. year, but he at least deserves to have his name spelled correctly by the DBR staff.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Yet another front-page foul: who is this DJ Stewart? This board is relentless when it comes to misspelling players names. I know, cuz i done it. Both on the giving and receiving end. Sheldon Williams anyone?
    DJ Steward may have made (what many here consider) a poor decision to leave Duke after his Fr. year, but he at least deserves to have his name spelled correctly by the DBR staff.
    Thanks for the heads up. Next time, can you dm me?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Maybe you need a proofreader.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    It's spelled correctly, but a different player. DJ Stewar(t) went to Mississippi St. and is on the Spurs summer league team. Duke's DJ Stewar(d) is on the Kings summer league team. He had 6 points last night, but I believe left the game early with an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Maybe you need a proofreader.
    Give jk a break. He is only an intermediary in this