Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    What is it with the Cleveland Cavaliers and bad fonts? Look at that announcement image. It looks like a Lifetime TV movie: An Intimate Summer... Captured on Video. Starring draft picks Ochai Agbaji, Isaiah Mobley, and Luke Travers, but not Khalifa Diop. ACC connections: rookie player Malik Osborne (FSU) and assistant coach Antonio Lang (Duke).

cavaliers2022.jpg

Now this is an announcement! Thank you, Houston Rockets. Draft picks Jabari Smith Jr., Tari Eason, and TyTy Washington Jr will debut opening night in Las Vegas against Orlando.

rockets2022.jpg

The Brooklyn Nets had no draft picks, but add undrafted ACC POY Alondes Williams (Wake) to returning players RaiQuan Gray (FSU) and Day'Ron Sharpe (UNC).

nets2022.jpg

The New Orleans Pelicans will introduce draft picks Dyson Daniels, EJ Liddell, and Karlo Matković into Summer League. They will join returning players Trey Murphy (UVA) and Jose Alvarado (GT), along with the undrafted Dereon Seabron (NCSU) and John Butler Jr (FSU).

pelicans2022.jpg

Found one more: the Los Angeles Clippers. Today a bunch of people were mindlessly tweeting images of last year's roster (it even said 2021 on it), but here's the real thing. Lone draft pick Moussa Diabate and Georgia Tech's Michael Devoe are among those listed. The other California NBA teams -- the Kings, Lakers, and Warriors -- play in San Francisco this weekend, but the Clippers start their summer next week in Las Vegas.

clippers2022.jpg

That's 22 teams with a Summer League roster. Still waiting on Atlanta, Boston, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Toronto, Utah, and Washington.

A quick reminder that Summer League starts today with the California Classic in San Francisco.

SATURDAY, JULY 2

Lakers vs. Heat, 5pm (NBA TV?)
    Warriors vs. Kings (DJ Steward, Alex O'Connell), 7:30pm (ESPN2?)

The TV channel designations come from the NBA.com Summer League schedule, but I think they're wrong. Both ESPN Watch and the NBA TV live stream schedule indicate that the first game is on ESPN2 and the second game is on NBA TV and ESPN3. (In past years, any Summer League game that aired on NBA TV could also be streamed on ESPN3.) You should be able to watch both games today on a computer or other device.

AOC had a nice dunk in the first half after he picked the pocket of the man that he was defending( anticipated a pass and took it right out of his hands). He did miss at least one open 3 but so did everyone else. The outside shooting has been very hard for me to watch; I am sure Steph Curry, who is attendance, agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    AOC had a nice dunk in the first half after he picked the pocket of the man that he was defending( anticipated a pass and took it right out of his hands). He did miss at least one open 3 but so did everyone else. The outside shooting has been very hard for me to watch; I am sure Steph Curry, who is attendance, agrees.
    A relative of mine attended the birthday party of someone important years ago. Celine Dion was also in attendance. As this group of friends casually sang "Happy Birthday to You", she held her ear and silently winced in pain at the sound.

I imagine Steph Curry felt kind of like that when he watched these two teams go 11-for-55 from beyond the arc, a real clinic in bricklaying.

Lakers 100, Heat 66 (box score, highlights)

Balanced scoring, with Scotty Pippen Jr and Cole Swider in double figures. Nikola Jovic had 3 points in the loss.

Kings 86, Warriors 68 (box score, highlights below)

Keegan Murray dominated with 26 points. Alex O'Connell (21 minutes) led all bench scorers with 10 points, and added 7 rebounds and 3 steals. DJ Steward (18 minutes) had 7 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals. 2nd round draft pick Gui Santos had 23 points for the Warriors, in a game where every bigger name didn't play.

Go to the 1:05 mark to see the steal and dunk from Alex O'Connell (Kings #35) that subzero02 described. Alex adds a layup and a couple more dunks in this video. At about 3:55 DJ Steward (Kings #18) hits a deep three.
    Last edited by brevity; 07-02-2022 at 11:15 PM.

Two Summer League rosters were unveiled Saturday.

AJ Griffin and the Atlanta Hawks come to Las Vegas with fellow draft pick Tyrese Martin and Marcus Georges-Hunt, formerly of Georgia Tech. They will be coached by Hawks assistant Nick Van Exel.

If you're wondering about Jalen Johnson -- some of you aren't, but try not to be so enthusiastic about it -- he had a non-surgical procedure on his knee in June, and is expected back by training camp.

hawks2022.jpg

The Utah Jazz have a roster for Summer League games in both Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. They had no draft picks, and the recently acquired Walker Kessler will become available once his trade is finalized. They bring in undrafted rookies Kofi Cockburn and Johnny Juzang, plus former ACC players D.J. Funderburk (NCSU), Justin "Not That One" Robinson (VT), and Jordan Usher (GT). Also look for fan favorite Tacko Fall, just half a foot taller than Cockburn. We don't talk about Bruno Caboclo, the surprising 1st round draft pick in 2014, labeled by Fran Fraschilla as being "two years away from being two years away." That was 8 years ago, a pro career of 105 career NBA games surrounded by several stints in the G League, France, and Brazil. He's here now.

jazz 2022.jpg

I thought AOC looked good. DJ wasn’t that good at all imho.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    A relative of mine attended the birthday party of someone important years ago. Celine Dion was also in attendance. As this group of friends casually sang "Happy Birthday to You", she held her ear and silently winced in pain at the sound.
    No cake for you, lady.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's Day 2 of the California Classic in San Francisco. Click on a team name to see its roster. Click on a channel to watch online. All times Eastern.

SUNDAY, JULY 3

Heat vs. Kings (DJ Steward, Alex O'Connell), 5pm on NBA TV and ESPN3)
    Warriors vs. Lakers, 7:30pm on NBA TV and ESPN3

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No cake for you, lady.
    Pretty sure Celine Dion hasn't consumed any desserts in quite some time.

Here are the results from Sunday's games. (Remember, no games on Monday, July 4. Games resume on Tuesday, with the end of the California Classic and the beginning of the Salt Lake City Summer League.)

Kings 81, Heat 64 (box score, highlights)

Both DJ Steward and Alex O'Connell got a DNP-Coach's Decision. I didn't find any reports of injury or anything, so I assume this is about giving playing time to others on the roster. Maybe they'll return to action on Tuesday.

Lakers 100, Warriors 77 (box score, highlights)

Another day with the Lakers hitting the century mark. 11 players saw the floor, and they all scored between 5 and 16 points. Jay Huff, formerly of UVA, had 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks. He also inspired this tweet from a parody Hubie Brown account.

Hubie Talks Lakers @lakershubie

"Now Jay Huff on the Lakers Summer League roster. Is Huff his real last name or a nickname he has earned, because I saw him on the bench inhaling deeply from a container of modeling glue during the first timeout."

6:44 PM · Jul 3, 2022

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop quoting the movie Airplane!

Sorry for the unappealing images below. NBA graphics designers must have taken the long weekend off.

The Oklahoma City Thunder finally released their roster today, a good day to do so, seeing as how they start Summer League play in Salt Lake City (checks notes) tomorrow. The big news, literally, is that 7-foot draft prospect Chet Holmgren is now listed as a 7'1" pro player. This is the opposite of last year, when Detroit's Summer League roster shrunk Cade Cunningham by two inches. Holmgren is joined by fellow draft picks Ousmane Dieng and the two-headed Jalen/Jaylin Williams.

Will Chet keep growing as the week goes on? Will he be 8 feet tall by training camp? "Damn, that's a tall dude," said Shareef O'Neal's father.

thunder2022.jpg

The Phoenix Suns released their roster last night, and it was not worth its own post. They travel to the frigid north of Las Vegas with no draft picks and former ACC players Olivier Sarr (Wake Forest, then Kentucky) and Dejan Vasiljevic (Miami). This roster is so boring that I feel the need to recycle a joke I told last year: it's too bad Phoenix isn't scheduled to play Charlotte, because I want to see J.T. Thor bring the hammer down on Asbjørn Midtgaard.

There are dozens of NBA fans in Norway who will appreciate that joke. Dozens!

suns2022.jpg

Finally, the Toronto Raptors celebrate the 4th of July, which they call Monday, with a roster for Las Vegas. It's led by their lone draft pick, Christian Koloko, plus undrafted Rutgers star Ron Harper Jr, who may have been advised by his father to avoid working for the Hornets owner. (Somewhere in California, the Pippens nod in agreement.) Pitt's Justin Champagnie and Louisville's David Johnson bring that unique ACC flavor, which these days tastes like desperation.

raptors2022.jpg

Can I just say that the quality of these posts announcing roster spots is really special. To make the truly mundane entertaining... well, it is just special.

Someone spork Brevity for me, please. I have spoked him too much in the past and the software thinks I need a break.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Can I just say that the quality of these posts announcing roster spots is really special. To make the truly mundane entertaining... well, it is just special.

Someone spork Brevity for me, please. I have spoked him too much in the past and the software thinks I need a break.
    Done.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It's the last day of San Francisco games, and the first day of Salt Lake City games. Click on a team name to see its roster. Click on a channel to watch online. All times Eastern.

TUESDAY, JULY 5

Warriors vs. Heat, 3pm on NBA TV and ESPN3
    Kings (DJ Steward, Alex O'Connell) vs. Lakers, 5:30pm on NBA TV and ESPN3

Grizzlies vs. Sixers, 7pm on ESPN (Spanish feed on ESPN3, late night replays on NBA TV)
    Thunder vs. Jazz, 9pm on ESPN (Spanish feed on ESPN3, late night replays on NBA TV)

Kings (DJ Steward, Alex O'Connell) vs. Lakers, 5:30pm on NBA TV and ESPN3
    FYI, this game is on right now and Alex O'Connell is in the starting lineup.

The Milwaukee Bucks finally announced a Summer League roster this morning, and now they've already waived two of the players on it: Rayjon Tucker and Luca Vildoza. I have very professionally fixed the roster below. Draft pick MarJon Beauchamp and Matthew Hurt are still featured.

bucks2022.jpg

The Washington Wizards trimmed down their minicamp list to a Summer League roster, and Vernon Carey Jr is on it.

wizards2022.jpg

Also look for lottery pick Johnny Davis, if he's not making a Taco Bell run to one of three locations, each 8 minutes away from the arena.

tacobell.jpg

The Boston Celtics roster for Las Vegas stars lone draft pick JD Davison and ACC players Mfiondu Kabengele (FSU), Jericole Hellems (NCSU), and Sam Hauser (UVA).

celtics2022.jpg

That's all 30 teams. The games in Las Vegas start Thursday.

The Milwaukee Bucks finally announced a Summer League roster this morning, and now they've already waived two of the players on it: Rayjon Tucker and Luca Vildoza. I have very professionally fixed the roster below. Draft pick MarJon Beauchamp and Matthew Hurt are still featured.

bucks2022.jpg

The Washington Wizards trimmed down their minicamp list to a Summer League roster, and Vernon Carey Jr is on it.

wizards2022.jpg

Also look for lottery pick Johnny Davis, if he's not making a Taco Bell run to one of three locations, each 8 minutes away from the arena.

tacobell.jpg

The Boston Celtics roster for Las Vegas stars lone draft pick JD Davison and ACC players Mfiondu Kabengele (FSU), Jericole Hellems (NCSU), and Sam Hauser (UVA).

celtics2022.jpg

Vildoza gone? Geez- my summer fantasy league is toast.

Watching his last year at FSU in 2019, I would have put big money on Kabengele being a long-term player in the NBA. Utterly befuddled as his inability to stick in the league.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Chet Holmgren is putting on an offensive clinic in the first half against Jazz in their hometown. He's had a few nice assists and his outside shot looks smooth and effortless. His slight build doesn't appear to be much of an issue thus far. I believe he is going to finish the half just shy of 20 points.

bucks2022.jpg

wizards2022.jpg

tacobell.jpg

celtics2022.jpg

Holmgren tearing up his summer league debut . Unicorns are going to be unicorns.

Chet Holmgren is putting on an offensive clinic in the first half against Jazz in their hometown. He's had a few nice assists and his outside shot looks smooth and effortless. His slight build doesn't appear to be much of an issue thus far. I believe he is going to finish the half just shy of 20 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Holmgren tearing up his summer league debut . Unicorns are going to be unicorns.
    Okay, let's start with Chet Holmgren.

He had 18 points by halftime and finished with 23 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 blocks (a record for a Salt Lake City summer game). "Only 6?" he asked in the postgame interview. He promised to break the blocks record again.

Look, I expect him to be successful, but I did not expect him to look even skinnier in a Thunder jersey than he did in a Gonzaga jersey. This is going to take some getting used to.

Heat 94, Warriors 70 (box score, highlights)

The home team finishes the California Classic 0-3 with losses by 18, 23, and 24 points. This is what happens when Ryan Rollins is injured, Jonathan Kuminga isn't back yet (FIBA), and James Wiseman and Patrick Baldwin Jr are only practicing, at least until Las Vegas. On the winning side, Nikola Jovic broke out with 25 points for Miami (1-2), after scoring only 3 and 6 in his first two games.

Kings 84, Lakers 75 (box score, highlights)

The Kings can hang a California Classic banner, going 3-0. DJ Steward did not play. Alex O'Connell started and went 1-for-6, scoring a 3-pointer. (It's not in the highlight video.) He finished with 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists in 19 minutes of action. In those 3 SAC wins, lottery pick Keegan Murray scored 59 total points.

Grizzlies 103, Sixers 99 (box score, highlights)

The first Salt Lake City matchup gave us something that didn't happen once in San Francisco: a close game. Jake LaRavia hit 4-of-7 from outside and scored 13 points, as one of five Grizzlies in double figures. Paul Reed had 20 points and 15 rebounds for the Sixers.

Thunder 98, Jazz 77 (box score, highlights)

I've already mentioned Chet Holmgren above, so let's talk Jazz. Tacko Fall had only 2 points and no blocks. The bigger news, which I somehow missed, is that Johnny Juzang was in a car accident over the weekend; he is not injured, but under concussion protocol.