Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Seems strange to cut the guy only 2 days after re-upping his 2-way, but those contracts are not at all guaranteed so it really does not affect the Hawks at all to drop him.
    That's true, but to only look at this story from the Hawks' side is to miss my point.

Sharife Cooper averaged 20 points and 8 assists at Auburn. He was, by near consensus, projected to be a first-rounder in the 2021 NBA Draft, and would have received a standard rookie contract with guaranteed money for multiple years. Unlike many prospects with first-round aspirations, Cooper seemed to have made a well-informed decision to leave college. And yet he fell in the actual draft, and fell hard.

In retrospect we can talk about how he was undersized, and possibly hurt his draft stock by attending but not playing in the combine. We can also introduce the possibility that Atlanta, despite being his hometown, was not the best landing spot for him. (Maybe you don't want a backup for Trae Young who is built exactly like Trae Young.)

But instead we should talk about how Cooper was almost universally miscalculated as a first rounder, and how significantly different his pro career turned out to be by going when he did to where he did. I can't help but notice that Cooper wasn't that far behind Jalen Johnson in the draft predictions, and while Johnson hasn't produced much more for the Hawks than Cooper, he has $12.8 million of guaranteed money through the 2024-2025 season.

Cooper may well get picked up by another team and could still carve out an NBA career. But for now, he's a cautionary tale for pretty much any prospect with reasonable first round buzz but no guarantees, or those believed to be borderline first rounders, or something further down the draft order. And while I haven't explicitly stated it, yes, I am including Trevor Keels in that group. Keels could do a lot of things right in the next year with a two-way contract and still not make the Knicks' regular roster.

Not exactly summer league, but here is a clip of Djounte Murray and Paolo getting a little bit chippy with each other

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1556409278956716032
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not exactly summer league, but here is a clip of Djounte Murray and Paolo getting a little bit chippy with each other

Just noticed that there is a front page article about this play... https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ejounte-murray
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow, just looked up recent stats for Dejounte Murray:

In 68 games with San Antonio (recently traded to Atlanta) this past season, he averaged 21.1 points, 8.3 rebounds, 9.2 assists, and 2 steals per game.

Just shows how much talent there is in the NBA (and how I can't keep track of it these days).

Jason -- can you find a spot for him in the Hawks lineup?

That was impressive and fun to watch. Paola has lots to learn about defense and he may get embarrassed often this year. Thought Murray’s comments on front page article excessive, but guess playing in Atlanta creates feeling of disrespect☺️

Just noticed that there is a front page article about this play... https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ejounte-murray

This will not the last humbling experience he has a rookie in the League. Learn from it and roll with it.

Yeah in addition to not linking the original video, the front page article left out quite a bit of context…

The dunk occurred very early in the game and Paolo had his share of buckets, leading DM’s team to double for most of the game (hence the Instagram comment).

This, from what I can tell, was the instigating play which led to the postgame commentary…

https://twitter.com/WeltGawd/status/...5kqdpBzpxYzIpw

Bit more context…

https://twitter.com/iam_johnw/status...jySJIbMyA&s=19

Not sure I’d frame this as a humbling lesson for Paolo. That was a nice play by Murray but his behavior the rest of the game was an embarrassment, Paolo had a fine game and also knocked Dejounta on his ***.
    Last edited by DukieTiger; 08-08-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Yeah in addition to not linking the original video, the front page article left out quite a bit of context…

The dunk occurred very early in the game and Paolo had his share of buckets, leading DM’s team to double for most of the game (hence the Instagram comment).

This, from what I can tell, was the instigating play which led to the postgame commentary…

Bit more context…

[url]https://twitter.com/iam_johnw/status/1556476222070300672?t=MFmO2OAp7y9WtjySJIbMyA&s=19
    Not sure I’d frame this as a humbling lesson for Paolo. That was a nice play by Murray but his behavior the rest of the game was an embarrassment, Paolo had a fine game and also knocked Dejounta on his ***.
    Interesting videos. Murray vs. Allen could be fun.

All I gather from any of that is that Dejounte Murray is jerkweed, and Paolo isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    All I gather from any of that is that Dejounte Murray is jerkweed, and Paolo isn't.
    Agree. Reluctantly add that neither of their social media posts made much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Agree. Reluctantly add that neither of their social media posts made much sense.
    I think there’s likely more to the backstory with both being from Seattle and being acquainted before now. Maybe be a little “who’s the best to come out of Seattle in the last x number of years “ type competition? Who knows? I hope Paolo waxes him in the regular season!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I think there’s likely more to the backstory with both being from Seattle and being acquainted before now. Maybe be a little “who’s the best to come out of Seattle in the last x number of years “ type competition? Who knows? I hope Paolo waxes him in the regular season!
    Same high school apparently. Some sort of inarticulate, social media beef.

I have to admit that I never heard of this guy before today. He's apparently a good player. I'm not sure why he has to act like a macho 17 year old in this "beef".

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Same high school apparently. Some sort of inarticulate, social media beef.

I have to admit that I never heard of this guy before today. He's apparently a good player. I'm not sure why he has to act like a macho 17 year old in this "beef".
    Let's try this as a prime example of "immaturity:" You are getting paid tens of millions of dollars to play basketball, and you are worried about "neighborhood cred."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here's the same play from a different angle:

From this video you can see that Paolo is not particularly close to the basket, Dejounte's move and contact around Paolo is less natural, and Dejounte has words after the play and throws the ball at Paolo quite recklessly.

I can't remember if I posted it before, but Paolo stopped by the All the Smoke podcast during Summer League (it was the day after the Brotherhood Dinner) and spoke to Matt Barnes and Steven Jackson for about 25 minutes. Here's the video (occasional NSFW language). They start talking about Seattle around the 5:30 mark.

Dejounte clearly was offended by Paolo's comment "No one's going to tackle you on a basketball court." Kidding. Actually, Paolo mentions Dejounte around the 23:15 mark, when asked about teammates he'd bring to a blacktop challenge. He keeps it all Seattle and also includes Jamal Crawford and Jaden McDaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post

Bit more context…

https://twitter.com/iam_johnw/status...jySJIbMyA&s=19

I find that type of behavior extremely annoying, but it seems to be how The Kids These Days want to behave. Also the kind of behavior you find from emotionally insecure people. But hey, he's getting paid millions to play a game...

Okay, I found some full game highlights from a third angle...

I think the whole 13-minute video is worth watching. The video opens with the play in question, and then shows it again within the game. (The play takes place just before halftime.) The camera person is positioned between the benches in the first half, and then is a row or two behind Dejounte Murray's team bench in the second half.

There was a different play in the second half where Paolo unknowingly bumped Dejounte but then defused the situation when Dejounte appeared hostile. Dejounte seemed okay with it, but then talked trash about Paolo to anyone within earshot (including the camera) when he sat for the final minute with a lead well in hand.

I'm not sure how the teams are formed, but Dejounte is surrounded by young athletes, while Paolo seems to have been placed with guys in their 30s. The crowd was, at best, quietly polite toward Paolo and really, really supporting Dejounte.

I'll admit to being a little out of the loop on sports this time of year, but I had no idea that these Pro-Am leagues are so commonplace, and am kind of surprised that NBA players are allowed to participate. Paolo played like it was an exhibition, but at times his opponents were trying to physically hurt him. I think his social media comment "that’s fine jus make sure u guard up next time n stop sending doubles family" was about Dejounte's team double teaming him on defense, while Paolo's team just stuck with single coverage on defense.

Exactly. The guy would be picking up some of his teeth off the court if he tried that disrespectful crap with the guys I used to run with. I'm not talking the Paolo stuff, but the other play where he's banging the basketball on the head of the defender. That stuff is beyond rude and grounds for a butt-kicking.

18. Lost quite a bit of respect for Murray. Good to see Paolo keeping his cool.

But dang, how impressive was he bringing up the ball all the time? His handle has improved and Coach K was on the money for pushing Paolo to develop that part of his game. Also had some nice defensive plays as well. He's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Lost quite a bit of respect for Murray. Good to see Paolo keeping his cool.

But dang, how impressive was he bringing up the ball all the time? His handle has improved and Coach K was on the money for pushing Paolo to develop that part of his game. Also had some nice defensive plays as well. He's really good.
    "Point forward" is an extremely valuable position in today's NBA. I hope his handles have improved and he is aware of help-side defense picking his pocket.