RIP "Dandy Vandy" Duke's Steve Vandenberg

Local basketball star Steve Vandenberg dies at 75

CUMBERLAND, Md. — Former Allegany and Duke basketball star Steve Vandenberg passed away Tuesday at the age of 75.

Considered by many to be the greatest basketball player in Cumberland’s history, Vandenberg led Allegany to state championships in 1963 and 1964 under head coach Chet Payne...

He played a pivotal role in one of the all-time great Duke-North Carolina games on March 2, 1968, scoring the go-ahead points with seconds remaining in triple overtime. Freddie Lind blocked Carolina’s Rusty Clark on the other end to give No. 10 Duke an 87-86 win over second-ranked UNC.

As a senior, Vandenberg posted averages of 8.3 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. He delivered a memorable career-high 33-point outburst in his final bout at Cameron Indoor Stadium, as Duke toppled No. 2 North Carolina, 87-81. Vandenberg added 12 boards for a double-double.

https://www.times-news.com/sports/lo...e815eeda4.html

RIP Steve.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Local basketball star Steve Vandenberg dies at 75

CUMBERLAND, Md. — Former Allegany and Duke basketball star Steve Vandenberg passed away Tuesday at the age of 75.

Considered by many to be the greatest basketball player in Cumberland’s history, Vandenberg led Allegany to state championships in 1963 and 1964 under head coach Chet Payne...

He played a pivotal role in one of the all-time great Duke-North Carolina games on March 2, 1968, scoring the go-ahead points with seconds remaining in triple overtime. Freddie Lind blocked Carolina’s Rusty Clark on the other end to give No. 10 Duke an 87-86 win over second-ranked UNC.

As a senior, Vandenberg posted averages of 8.3 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. He delivered a memorable career-high 33-point outburst in his final bout at Cameron Indoor Stadium, as Duke toppled No. 2 North Carolina, 87-81. Vandenberg added 12 boards for a double-double.

https://www.times-news.com/sports/lo...e815eeda4.html
    Sad to hear that. Those who saw that triple overtime game know it's a strong contender for best Duke-unc game ever...

Very sad news

Shedding a few tears about this. RIP, Steve, and thanks for some great memories.

RIP big fella.

I always liked his calmness. I remember him starting in the Suspension Game against Penn State. I believe his first ever start at Duke.

He played a mean piano, too - Great Balls of Fire was regularly heard at our house. I’m surprised our piano survived it!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    He played a mean piano, too - Great Balls of Fire was regularly heard at our house. I’m surprised our piano survived it!

-jk
    did he happen to bring his ubiquitous two girlfriends? Life was good for Steve back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    RIP big fella.

I always liked his calmness. I remember him starting in the Suspension Game against Penn State. I believe his first ever start at Duke.
    I was at that game and also at the Fred Lind game where Steve played a significant role. RIP big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Awesome front page article on Steve! ROFLOL for the punch line from Mom.

Sad to hear about Vandenburg. Have a lot of memories of him. Still can never forget that layup with a few seconds left against a strong unc team in 68. Vandy and Freddy Lind were sensational in that game. RIP Vandenburg!

Prayers for the family. RIP Steve. You gave me some great moments against the Tar Heels.

GoDuke!

A personal and touching obit from Steve's hometown newspaper. (who knew his given first name was Jan?)

https://obituaries.times-news.com/ob...erg-1085535022

A bit of a renaissance man, Steve was also a gifted artist, writer, and musician. He had a lifelong passion for music, which started very early with a love for playing the piano, and the music and piano playing of Jerry Lee Lewis. His love of "The Killer" was so strong that college recruiters used it, scheduling his campus visits when Lewis was in town playing a show. Steve's own piano playing was accomplished. When someone would comment that he was "the best ball player that ever came out of Allegany," he would often be quick to counter with his joke, "No, I'm the best piano player that ever came out of Allegany." He loved performing, and if you were lucky, you had a chance to see him play at the Bistro, the Wine Cellar, or on any piano in any room he ever walked into, whether invited to or not. Steve didn't just love music, he was filled with music, if you noticed, as he moved through the world, he was actually dancing to the music that was constantly playing in his heart.

Steve loved life; and he lived life. He never had a bad day, because he found joy and pleasure in life's simple, everyday things, savoring everything from conversations with friends, to the smell of morning coffee and cooking a good meal for people he loved. He enjoyed every moment, and focused on being in the "NOW."

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A personal and touching obit from Steve's hometown newspaper. (who knew his given first name was Jan?)

https://obituaries.times-news.com/ob...erg-1085535022

A bit of a renaissance man, Steve was also a gifted artist, writer, and musician. He had a lifelong passion for music, which started very early with a love for playing the piano, and the music and piano playing of Jerry Lee Lewis. His love of "The Killer" was so strong that college recruiters used it, scheduling his campus visits when Lewis was in town playing a show. Steve's own piano playing was accomplished. When someone would comment that he was "the best ball player that ever came out of Allegany," he would often be quick to counter with his joke, "No, I'm the best piano player that ever came out of Allegany." He loved performing, and if you were lucky, you had a chance to see him play at the Bistro, the Wine Cellar, or on any piano in any room he ever walked into, whether invited to or not. Steve didn't just love music, he was filled with music, if you noticed, as he moved through the world, he was actually dancing to the music that was constantly playing in his heart.

Steve loved life; and he lived life. He never had a bad day, because he found joy and pleasure in life's simple, everyday things, savoring everything from conversations with friends, to the smell of morning coffee and cooking a good meal for people he loved. He enjoyed every moment, and focused on being in the "NOW."
    Thank you for that beautiful tribute. Apparently a Life well lived.

I was 14 when that game was played when Vandenberg and Lind led Duke to a win against the Tarhells. To read the Steve just passed at 75 makes me feel old.
    Tom Mac