RIP Caleb Swanigan

It was announced today Caleb Swanigan passed away at the age of 25. Gone too soon.

His name was mentioned as a potential recruit for Duke a number of years ago, but I don't recall the two sides were ever that close.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...d-pick-dies-25

Condolences to his family and friends.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Wow. Very sad. Only 25. I remember really enjoying watching him play in college - he was an excellent player and if I recall seemed like a good guy. If I recall he came from a rough background including time in homeless shelters.

I am a sucker for the old fashioned big guys who no longer seem to be valued by the NBA but can really contribute in college and he fit the bill.

RIP.

Very sad to hear this news. Gone way too young. I remember him as an excellent college player.

Evidently following his last stint with the Trail Blazers in 2020 he stopped playing basketball altogether and his weight ballooned up to extremely unhealthy levels. This is likely what led to a former NBA-athlete dying of natural causes at just 25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    It was announced today Caleb Swanigan passed away at the age of 25. Gone too soon.

His name was mentioned as a potential recruit for Duke a number of years ago, but I don't recall the two sides were ever that close.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Iirc, he did come for a recruiting visit. I think I remember him in a group shot of recruits, maybe from CTC. He was in the high school class of 2015, and we needed size the next year. I think we got in kind of late with him though, and we were never a serious consideration for him.

He had a great sophomore season at Purdue, and was drafted late in the first round in 2017. I did not realize he was no longer in the NBA. So very tragic and sad.

Caleb Swanigan - Dies at 25

A sad story. I did not realize that he was out of the League, already.

Let this be a terrible lesson about the perils of obesity/diabetes and the havoc it causes on the human body. Caleb suffered from it just like his father did (his father also died young). We all need to be careful about what we eat and the quantities we consume. I know for many it is a mental condition and I hope stories like Caleb can help some folks get the help they need.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Let this be a terrible lesson about the perils of obesity/diabetes and the havoc it causes on the human body. Caleb suffered from it just like his father did (his father also died young). We all need to be careful about what we eat and the quantities we consume. I know for many it is a mental condition and I hope stories like Caleb can help some folks get the help they need.
    Agree strongly with this. It has become socially acceptable to allow your weight to balloon, but it wrecks havoc on your body.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Young obese

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think the other lesson is it is terrible to be obese when young as he was. Evidence is showing 1) that you won’t lose fat cells just make your fat cells skinny and this is very hard to maintain 2) your body’s set point gets set at obese level and makes it very hard to lose and maintain weight. If you hit 12 obese like he did you are probably going to obese your whole life