Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes on Banks and Alarie (which wouldn't shorten the list of available jersey numbers), but Jim Spanarkel's #34 has to go up there too, and I've been lobbying for that for literally decades. He was the bright light at the end of a dark tunnel my senior year ('75-'76), when he as a freshman. How many players have had a style of play named after them by a sportswriter? "He (the opposing player) was Spanarkeled! Out played, out hustled and out thought!" And his being on the team was likely instrumental in gaining commitments from Mike Gminski the next year and Banks and Dennard the following year.

I have posted before that I lobbied Nan to have a double (34) ceremony the following year after Mike Dunleavy was named NPOY the next year. Of course, MD torpedoed that idea by declaring for the draft after his junior year.

34 to the rafters!
    I'm on board for the Spanarkel #34 to go up in the rafters. I think Elton Brand's #42 deserves consideration as well. I know he only played 3 years before going pro but I believe he's deserving.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm on board for the Spanarkel #34 to go up in the rafters. I think Elton Brand's #42 deserves consideration as well. I know he only played 3 years before going pro but I believe he's deserving.

GoDuke!
    I LOVED Elton, probably the best, most dominant back-to-the-basket center we had under K, but he played only two years at Duke, not three.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I LOVED Elton, probably the best, most dominant back-to-the-basket center we had under K, but he played only two years at Duke, not three.
    Yeah, and closer to 1.5 with the injury his freshman year

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In a recent DBR podcast, the group discussed Duke’s policy on retired jerseys. Jay Bilas made a couple of interesting comments about how Coach K’s use of external standards (accolades voted on by non-Duke people) is fraught with potential bias/error, since why should Duke care who won some award voted on by, say, national sportswriters. They also discussed the OAD problem that will keep the most likely candidates from even getting to a sophomore year, much less the now-required graduation. Listen away.

Anyway, Jay suggested careers after Duke might be taken into consideration and briefly mentioned a couple of candidates who might be considered, including David Henderson, which surprised me.
    To be clear, Jay was talking about Henderson being added to the Duke basketball Hall of Fame, not about jersey retirement. He said there are specific external award requirements for the Hall of Fame. Jay felt that was silly and that Duke should determine who gets in there on their own.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    I'd be on board with a lot of these guys, and I'd add one more modern take: Singler.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    To be clear, Jay was talking about Henderson being added to the Duke basketball Hall of Fame, not about jersey retirement. He said there are specific external award requirements for the Hall of Fame. Jay felt that was silly and that Duke should determine who gets in there on their own.
    I do not believe Duke has a basketball hall of fame. Duke does have a basketball museum and an athletics hall of fame. But the latter includes coaches and athletes from other sports.