Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I missed Shemp.
    And that’s why you’re not an honorary member of the fan club. It’s inconceivable.

Go Duke. Go young, highly rated freshman. I wish the best for all of you.

The current system kind of sucks. We don't have many players that we have gotten to know, like and identify with.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I got Moe, Larry, Curly, Joe and Curly Joe. Didn’t get the rest.
    Shemp?

Edit: Oops. Just saw the above.

As an aside, for those owned by dogs like me, here's a story from the "Dogs are Family" FB page on Curly:

Jerome Horwitz, famous for playing CURLY in "THE THREE STOOGES", was known to all as a protector of dogs. Curly's contract with Columbia Pictures included a clause that allowed his dogs to accompany him on the studio lot. Columbia limited it to no more than two dogs at a time, this due to the puppies' unplanned on-camera appearances from time to time. You can still see those surprise dog on set invasions in the first few short films. Typically surrounded by various dogs, Curly was known to come home with a stray dog ​​and foster it until he could find it a permanent home. When the Stooges were out on the road, Curly took it upon himself to find a new home for at least one stray dog ​​in every town they visited. Curly is estimated to have saved and rescued more than 5,000 dogs in his lifetime. This makes him a man ahead of his time, with a very admirable concern for man's best friend.

286641465_5561934790537766_2664396471850902726_n.jpg
    Last edited by duke74; 06-20-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCfan View Post
    I am sure Duke haters will find someone else to hate, other than Jon, but it will take a few games to figure that out. It was way more fun having a few returning players to hate, year after year.
    I never understood this.

Duke's unlikable players are plain old unlikable for a variety of arrogance, pettiness, or a-holeness. Laettner, Wojo, Redick, Grayson...I get it.

I never understood the Scheyer hate (if it actually exists). It's like anti-Dukies were looking for someone to hate on the 2010 team and...Scheyer is what they ended up with? He's a weirdly likable player back then. His 'bad' traits are a super long neck and a weird mouth when he's caught in the air shooting/passing the ball. I mean, that's it. He wasn't overly talented. He wasn't a great scorer. He didn't get under players' skin on defense. He was just a really good player.

Anti-Duke hate exists and players don't need to do a lot to be hated...but Scheyer? What the hell did he ever do? I figured someone like Singler / MP1 / MP2 / Ryan would be more 'hateable' than Scheyer.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I never understood this.
    Other than being a past player on a NC team, he is now your head coach and will be the face of Duke basketball for years to come. He is also the only person I recognize, other than QT and Carrawell.
    I am not 100% sure how you feel about Hubert, but you will still find a reason to dislike him or pick on him, simply cause he is our head coach. Not too much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCfan View Post
    Other than being a past player on a NC team, he is now your head coach and will be the face of Duke basketball for years to come. He is also the only person I recognize, other than QT and Carrawell.
    I am not 100% sure how you feel about Hubert, but you will still find a reason to dislike him or pick on him, simply cause he is our head coach. Not too much of a stretch.
    If you don't like him cus he's our coach, then I get it.

But I've heard Scheyer in the same light (hate wise) as Redick, Allen, etc. To me, Scheyer doesn't fit that bill.

As for Hubert, I clearly don't like him cus he's the coach of the Heels. But I have nothing against him as a player (before my time) and he genuinely seems like a nice person.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Took me a second, but I got them all... thanks to DBR and the MBB official Facebook page for showing me pictures of all the new faces over the last few months. Wishing the season would get here quick, this time of year is a little light on the live sports I crave.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Granted it is hard to tell when they are sitting, but Whitehead looks huge. He looks a lot bigger than Amile who is in the same row.

All I know is that we’ve got one good looking team!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbailey View Post
    Granted it is hard to tell when they are sitting, but Whitehead looks huge. He looks a lot bigger than Amile who is in the same row.
    I am sure he is bigger (as in more massively built) than Jefferson, who was a beanpole in his playing days and is no doubt less muscular now that he is a coach and not focusing much of his time on prepping his body for play. But he is probably 2-3 inches shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If you don't like him cus he's our coach, then I get it.

But I've heard Scheyer in the same light (hate wise) as Redick, Allen, etc. To me, Scheyer doesn't fit that bill.

As for Hubert, I clearly don't like him cus he's the coach of the Heels. But I have nothing against him as a player (before my time) and he genuinely seems like a nice person.
    I am not sure Scheyer was hated as a player so much as he was made fun of for his infamous "Scheyer face," and perhaps for his seeming wholesome earnestness. To me that is a little different than the kind of hate that JJ and Grayson inspired.

Living well away from NC has its benefits. Duke hate seems to be inversely proportional to distance cubed. When I wear a Duke shirt here people stop to compliment me.