Free to Good Home

20220620_090901.jpg

March 13, 1978 - Sports Illustrated. One bent corner. Perhaps of interest to those of a certain era?

Respond or PM me. I'll pop it in the USPS.

I’ve heard of short shorts being worn in previous eras, but this photo takes things a little too far 8-)

Gene "Tinkerbell" Banks...one of my favorite Duke athletes ever. He had it all...athletic ability, panache, and confidence. Did I mention confidence?😁 He was an absolute joy to watch play for us.

Still available... and I'll pay the postage!

I was at that game, if I remember correctly. I think it was in the 1978 ACC tournament semifinals. Duke beat Maryland, and Wake had upset Carolina in the early game. Duke would defeat Wake in the finals 2 days later, and wouldn’t lose again until the championship game against Kentucky. (That year, the tournament was on Wed, Thurs, Sat, because the finals were shown nationally on ABC sports Saturday afternoon).

I remember this play too. I was sitting in the Duke student section (there had been a lottery for student tickets) and we were behind the opposite basket. Banks had a breakaway, but Maryland was having none of that. Definitely would be at least a flagrant 1 today.

It snowed during the game, and when we came out, the roads were almost impassable. It was a fun drive home on I-85, going about 20mph.

I, too, had that magazine. It has to be around here somewhere…

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    20220620_090901.jpg

March 13, 1978 - Sports Illustrated. One bent corner. Perhaps of interest to those of a certain era?

I think you came to the right place for a good home for this. May I ask why you’re passing it along?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    May I ask why you’re passing it along?
    Update: Item is spoken for.

In answer to your question -- The missus and I are moving/downsizing; we sold our 5 BR house. Rather than making certain items our kids' future problem I'm trying some "possession decisioning" in conjunction with this life event. The magazine is a simple but nice piece of memorabilia - and it brings me pleasure to hand it off to someone who will value it.

This thread brings up an idea. Maybe I could assemble and display somewhere, like in my office, an array of great Duke SI covers from over the years. I gave up my subscription to SI a few years ago now, as it is a pathetic mockery of what it once was, but still, the old ones would be great to have. The 86 cover, the Coach K Blue Angel cover, the Jason Williams with his bags packed going to school cover, and so many others . Wonder if they're all available on eBay or somewhere . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    This thread brings up an idea. Maybe I could assemble and display somewhere, like in my office, an array of great Duke SI covers from over the years. I gave up my subscription to SI a few years ago now, as it is a pathetic mockery of what it once was, but still, the old ones would be great to have. The 86 cover, the Coach K Blue Angel cover, the Jason Williams with his bags packed going to school cover, and so many others . Wonder if they're all available on eBay or somewhere . . .
    Please include Wish Granted and Dynasty. The best two covers IMO.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    20220620_090901.jpg

I had this on my wall when I was a kid. This team made me a Duke fan. Congrats to whoever got it!

Ebay or Amazon.

Every time I see this headline I think someone is giving away kittens or puppies.

Any collection should include the Art Heyman cover from 1963. So what if it has Jerry Lucas on it also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Spor..._dgKGgGavNFLiM

Really nice Guy

Sorry I Can’t figure out how to rotate. He’s a nice guy that did a nice thing for my young son years ago. Kid was on cloud 9 for weeks. He’s 19 now and continues to bleed the only blue allowed in our household. He’s hanging onto those basketballs for life!

Gene is the athletic director at Gaston College now. Shared he loves it and is bringing the program along. ( He comes into my store once in a while)

6EDBE9BC-7FC0-4DF0-9946-35FC07C1F0A6.jpg