Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm not sure we'll have a 17ppg scorer this season. I know it's early, but I had these players/ppg for this season.

Whitehead= 14
    Roach= 13
    Lively= 12
    Proctor= 12
    Grandison= 10
    Mitchell= 10
    Flip= 5
    Blakes= 4
    Young= 4
    Total= 84 ppg.
    Last season we had 5 players in double figures with Paolo at 17.2 ppg. Roach had 8.6 ppg and the team averaged 80 ppg. There's so much that can come into play. How much time will Whitehead miss, and will he be 100% when he does play. Will he play a lot of minutes when he does return to action. Same for Lively. If Flip can't play college defense, will his minutes go to someone else. Will Young get more minute's relieving Lively at times? Of all the players I think Whitehead has the best chance at getting close to 17ppg.

GoDuke!
    If Flip averages 5 points, we may have the least productive top 5 player ever (Harry Giles notwithstanding. I mean, the kid didn’t have knees coming into college)

Not saying he’s going to average more (I do think he will), but the delta between recruiting agencies and his estimated production seems to be way off.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    As the season approaches, I am buying the following ACC teams:

Miami
    Virginia Tech

I am selling the following ACC teams:

Georgia Tech
    Louisville
    Yes, sell UL and GT. Sell Cuse, too.

I’m buying ND to finish 4th, Pack to avoid ACCT first day, and UVa to finish tied for 1st (16-4).

ND has experience, shooters, an excellent SuperSenior in Hammond, an excellent frosh in Starling, play Brey’s system smartly, and once again seem to have a slightly easier schedule (H/A includes BC, GT, Wake, and Cuse, plus relatively easy H-only). Rebounders? No clue. I guess they’ll play 5-out and pretend it’s 4-out-1-in. I think they can go 13-7, maybe 14-6. Glad we get them only in Cameron this season; they’re trouble.

I’ll guess Pack will finish 9th-10th, so I’ll give ‘em 9th.

Hoos are very experienced, one good SuperSenior transfer, solid frosh recruits, play Bennett’s system superbly. Unlike most EK posters, and understandably all who live in Va, I admire Bennett’s system and determined D (except for them cheatin’-movin’ screens), and mostly enjoy Hoo games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Another thing worth noting is that even if we don't have a 17ppg scorer, that's not necessarily a bad thing for our offense. Four of the last five teams we've had that didn't have a 17+ppg scorer were nonetheless pretty good at offense:

2012: #8 rated KenPom offense;
    2009: #7
    2008: #13
    2007: #44
    2004: #2
    Yes, I agree, and appreciate the stats evidence. I expect us to score plenty, by spreading things around rather than depending on the same 1 or 2 or even 3 guys. Actually, I’m hoping that Scheyer’s promise to play fast will mean lots of full-court pressing, and an 8.5/.25 rotation (Core 8 plus Blakes and maybe some Schutt). So, I’m actually hoping our D is statistically better than, and creates some of, our O.

Y’all are all sleeping in Clemson. Look at their schedule. If you tried to design the easiest possible ACC conference schedule, it would be what Clemson plays this year. If they are merely a middle of the pack team, they will finish a couple games over .500 with this schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Y’all are all sleeping in Clemson. Look at their schedule. If you tried to design the easiest possible ACC conference schedule, it would be what Clemson plays this year. If they are merely a middle of the pack team, they will finish a couple games over .500 with this schedule.
    JE, you might need to pin down who the “sleeping y’alls” are in this thread, as only 2 posters, DBA and I, have actually given a rough order of finish. There just hasn’t been much order-predicting in this thread. Maybe people will rub the sleep out of their eyes this week, as OOC games begin. Or maybe there’s just too much excitement about Duke football.

I responded to DBA’s recent “buy/sell” post by talking about a few teams that I’m buying/selling, but ignored Clemson, among others, as I’m neither buying nor selling the Tigers. I won’t speak for DBA, but my own loose prediction back in June in the OP, listing Clemson first in a “middle tier,” pretty much exactly fits your comments. I agree they’re middle of the pack, agree they’ve an easy schedule, and agree they can finish a couple of games over .500, say 8th at 11-9. That implies, too, that they might get into the 2d tier — the 4-7 group — though I wouldn’t push them higher than 7th.

Do you think with what looks to be an easy schedule they could finish 6th? 5th?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    so you see them winning big in Chapel Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Do you think with what looks to be an easy schedule they could finish 6th? 5th?
    I think Clemson's talent probably puts them 8th or 9th... I think their schedule could allow them to finish like 5th.

Here are the teams they play twice: Wake, Va Tech, Ga Tech, NCSU, FSU, and Louisville.
    They only play Duke, UNC, Virginia, Notre Dame, Miami, Syrac, BC, and Pitt once each.

KenPom projects Clemson as the 8th best team in the ACC. Va Tech and Syracuse are the only teams ranked above Clemson who they play twice. Pitt and BC are the only teams ranked below Clemson that the Tigers only play once.

Folks, your schedule does not get easier than that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?