Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Exactly. Low hanging fruit there. Also yours involves a secret plot to injure Sheldon Williams, Bundabergdevil.

And I'm really not kidding about any of this. I literally have thought Colonel Montoya every time I have ever seen a post from Fidel. Every single time. I have children and I take care of exceptionally sick babies by the way.
    Oooh. Nice callback! It’s my mom though, not me. I’m cool with him but she holds a grudge.

Exactly. Low hanging fruit there. Also yours involves a secret plot to injure Sheldon Williams, Bundabergdevil.

And I'm really not kidding about any of this. I literally have thought Colonel Montoya every time I have ever seen a post from Fidel. Every single time. I have children and I take care of exceptionally sick babies by the way.
    You mis-spelled Shelden (or auto-correct did) in a thread about people’s obsessive tendencies?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You mis-spelled Shelden (or auto-correct did) in a thread about people’s obsessive tendencies?
    So good! Great catch. Talk-to-text is not my friend. But you are my friend and you also go to a Wizarding School.

So good! Great catch. Talk-to-text is not my friend. But you are my friend and you also go to a Wizarding School.
    Thanks. Also curious about my backstory. I feel like it is a badge of honor to have one. Given my nickname I would imagine it being me having a bit part in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks. Also curious about my backstory. I feel like it is a badge of honor to have one. Given my nickname I would imagine it being me having a bit part in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest or something similar.
    I've hinted at this before but you go to the American version of Hogwarts.

This comes back to your name and the famous Wingardium Leviosa moment in Harry Potter.

I'm frankly afraid to hear about my backstory. It's probably as boring as I am. And OldPhiKap, I'm sorry, but I misread your username several times when I first visited this forum, so to me you are "Phil". Sometimes these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm frankly afraid to hear about my backstory. It's probably as boring as I am. And OldPhiKap, I'm sorry, but I misread your username several times when I first visited this forum, so to me you are "Phil". Sometimes these things happen.
    That is probably one of the nicer things that posters call me, I’ll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I wanna know my backstory.
    I, however, do not. You have already dropped enough hints that worry me.

I've hinted at this before but you go to the American version of Hogwarts.

This comes back to your name and the famous Wingardium Leviosa moment in Harry Potter.
    No hablo Harry Potter - haven't read any of the books or seen the movies. No interest. I know that fits well into this thread of being a weird thing about me, though my wife shares my opinion on this. My older son read all of the books and just saw the show on Broadway.

I googled it and from what I can tell, there is some linkage between that scene and this song, which is a huge favorite in my family, despite not being our typical genre, but I thought I would earworm everyone:

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I, however, do not. You have already dropped enough hints that worry me.
    The Aimo with the dragon tattoo.

This thread certainly took a turn for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    This thread certainly took a turn for the better.
    Like from great to really great?

Name Game

OK, here's a thing that I do that others don't necessarily do.

My wife and I call our kids by the names we gave them. They may choose to be called by a contraction or nick-name, but I continue to call them what I named them.

I have a close friend that I picked up at 3am on the morning his wife gave birth to his daughter; he was exhausted and didn't want to drive (pre-arranged). When we got to his house, he told me, "We will name her Elizabeth, but we will call her Liz." I said hey, now is the time that you can name your kid exactly what you want to call her; name her 'Liz'! He said "No", we will name her Elizabeth and call her 'Liz'"

I was named Lawrence, called Lawrence or Lawr, but never Larry. Had an Uncle Larry (also a Lawrence). Others called me Larry long after my Uncle passed away but never in the presence of my immediate relatives.

I get it if you pick up a nick name like 'boomer' or something.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Shoot, now everyone makes me want to know my backstory as well, Clemmons.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Shoot, now everyone makes me want to know my backstory as well, Clemmons.
    Oh yours is a good one! You live in Florida and are Matthew McConaughey in "A Time to Kill". You have GREAT hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah. The guy named ‘Fidel’ wonders about his back story!

I’m changing my handle to Vlad.
    My brain went nowhere near Montoya. Love it.

If I could posts Gifs, this thread would be full of slow claps.

I work in medicine and saw a very well-educated friend do this and I flipped out because his rationale was thumping it stopped the fizzing. I asked this person to approach the National Institutes of Health about a randomized control trial and hypothesized it was the built-in delay rather than actually thumping which causes this. So at least you have said that part. Delay is reasonable.
    I don't know how to tell you this, but your friend was at least partially right.

The reason soda spills out when you open the can or bottle is that carbonation that is close to but below the surface escapes when you open it, and it takes some of the liquid with it.

If you tap gently on the SIDE of the can or bottle, this allows said carbonation to escape into the air above the soda, so that when you open it, it can escape without bringing the soda along.

Most people tap the top of the can, as if they are going to push the carbonation down into the soda. That doesn't work. But the tapping the side of the can actually does. If you do it with a bottle you can actually see it work.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    OK, here's a thing that I do that others don't necessarily do.

My wife and I call our kids by the names we gave them. They may choose to be called by a contraction or nick-name, but I continue to call them what I named them.

I have a close friend that I picked up at 3am on the morning his wife gave birth to his daughter; he was exhausted and didn't want to drive (pre-arranged). When we got to his house, he told me, "We will name her Elizabeth, but we will call her Liz." I said hey, now is the time that you can name your kid exactly what you want to call her; name her 'Liz'! He said "No", we will name her Elizabeth and call her 'Liz'"

I was named Lawrence, called Lawrence or Lawr, but never Larry. Had an Uncle Larry (also a Lawrence). Others called me Larry long after my Uncle passed away but never in the presence of my immediate relatives.

I get it if you pick up a nick name like 'boomer' or something.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    My wife and I thought about this kind of thing a lot when choosing names for our kids. We both have names that do not have normal abbreviations - we are who we are. At the same time, we wanted names that honored deceased family members - we didn't want to use the exact same name, but tried to use the first letters of the names - this is a Jewish tradition.

But we both felt really strongly about having first names that could not be abbreviated. We did not want them to walk into school on the first day and have the teacher ask "is it Robert, Bob, Bobby, Robby, or something else?" Not sure why we care but we do. So that trimmed our list of names. We were able to easily find a name for our first child that we both really liked, and struggled a bit more for the second but found one that we liked.

Meanwhile, I have countless nicknames for each kid, some of which are plays on their given names, but nothing like the ones I described above.

Our chosen names also happen to be names of former Duke players I like, one more than the other, which was a nice perk.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't know how to tell you this, but your friend was at least partially right.

The reason soda spills out when you open the can or bottle is that carbonation that is close to but below the surface escapes when you open it, and it takes some of the liquid with it.

If you tap gently on the SIDE of the can or bottle, this allows said carbonation to escape into the air above the soda, so that when you open it, it can escape without bringing the soda along.

Most people tap the top of the can, as if they are going to push the carbonation down into the soda. That doesn't work. But the tapping the side of the can actually does. If you do it with a bottle you can actually see it work.
    Fantastic post! But I have NEVER seen anyone tap the side. Only the top.