Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree with you and I would also ask:

Weren't both Steph and Seth Curry around 6-0 and only 150 pounds in high school? Do we know anyone so slight at that height who was ever recruited by a big-time basketball program?
    I don't think Hurley was much bigger (I assume you are focused on the combination of height and weight, as there are plenty of guys who were shorter but were also more solidly built).

I kind of get how Steph was missed. But when you see his younger brother coming along after what Steph had done at that point, it is worth taking a flyer on him.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Spud Webb says hi!

-jk
    Wasn’t Spud a JUCO transfer?

I always heard the likely apocryphal story that Valvano’s assistant had recruited Webb. When the assistant and the player arrived at RDU Valvano took one look at the tiny player and told his assistant “If that is Spud Webb you’re fired!”

Weren't both Steph and Seth Curry around 6-0 and only 150 pounds in high school? Do we know anyone so slight at that height who was ever recruited by a big-time basketball program?
    Kenny Anderson was very heavily (Duke, UNC, GA Tech, Syracuse, etc.) and appropriately recruited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    If we're going to compile a list of college programs that whiffed BIG TIME with Steph, it's going to be too long to list.
    It is almost as if people have always underestimated Steph. Up to (and incredibly) now.

semi relevant aside: the Warriors took Patrick Baldwin Jr very late in the first round...who knows, could be a high risk, high reward pick. I just read an article that said his vertical jump and other measurables were among the worst ever recorded at the combine or whatever they call it. It will be interesting to see how this works out...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    semi relevant aside: the Warriors took Patrick Baldwin Jr very late in the first round...who knows, could be a high risk, high reward pick. I just read an article that said his vertical jump and other measurables were among the worst ever recorded at the combine or whatever they call it. It will be interesting to see how this works out...
    Link article please

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Link article please
    Here are the numbers on leap, etc.. He was last in vertical leap (26.5") , next-to-last in standing vertical leap (23.5), last in lane agility.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here are the numbers on leap, etc.. He was last in vertical leap (26.5") , next-to-last in standing vertical leap (23.5), last in lane agility.
    On the Ringer NBA Show, while acknowledging Baldwin’s poor combine athletic measurables, they said that “he is a guy with good size who can shoot and can shoot with movement, and that has a lot of value in the NBA.”

They also mentioned that he is going to a team (Golden State) that has in place an offense that depends on uphill pressure (not sure what that means) which apparently might fit well with Baldwin’s strengths. They then listed a bunch of guys who had poor athletic measurables, but who still became viable NBA players. They added that an important thing to be determined is if he will work hard enough to make himself into a good defender.

I guess only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    On the Ringer NBA Show, while acknowledging Baldwin’s poor combine athletic measurables, they said that “he is a guy with good size who can shoot and can shoot with movement, and that has a lot of value in the NBA.”

They also mentioned that he is going to a team (Golden State) that has in place an offense that depends on uphill pressure (not sure what that means) which apparently might fit well with Baldwin’s strengths. They then listed a bunch of guys who had poor athletic measurables, but who still became viable NBA players. They added that an important thing to be determined is if he will work hard enough to make himself into a good defender.

I guess only time will tell.
    I know of at least one very knowledgeable guy close to the Duke program who raved about PBJ's ability in high school, so I'm definitely not discounting his future...seems like a perfect pick for the team that has just about everything.

I know of at least one very knowledgeable guy close to the Duke program who raved about PBJ's ability in high school, so I'm definitely not discounting his future...seems like a perfect pick for the team that has just about everything.
    They don’t need him to be good. It’s a cherry on top if he is.

Many people are forgetting that next year the Warriors will be adding three lottery picks to the rotation that barely contributed in the playoffs. They have an embarrassment of riches at the moment.