Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    To a certain extent, sure. I do think the evolution of the game and what is valued now would make certain players in the past less likely to be as dominant, regardless of their level of athleticism.
    But they would have adapted the same way current players adapt.

I mean, we are pretty much all driving cars now, aren't we? Couldn't have done that in 1870. But if the people who were adults in 1870 were instead adults in 1970, they would drive cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    All these arguments about how much better the athletes who play the game are today versus back then are irrelevant. Players would have conditioned to whatever extent they needed in order to keep up. Curry wouldn't have been able to be in the conditions emus now because we lacked the knowledge and equipment we have now.

It's like arguing how you would have impressed people in the 1970s using your current smart phone. Sure, except that in the 1970s you wouldn't have had your smart phone.

Jack Lambert, in the pro football hall of fame and considered by many to be one of the best middle linebackers of all time weighed 215 and ran a 4.8 forty. He might be a back-up in today's NFL. Does that mean he wasn't a great player, or that he shouldn't be in the Hall? Of course not. It's poppycock. Great athletes are great athletes. Had Jack been born 25 years ago, he would weigh more, be stronger, and be faster, and he would still be kicking butt.
    I’m perplexed that not everyone sees it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    But they would have adapted the same way current players adapt.

I mean, we are pretty much all driving cars now, aren't we? Couldn't have done that in 1870. But if the people who were adults in 1870 were instead adults in 1970, they would drive cars.
    I think there are certain body types that would have been less adaptable and suited for the modern game.

Edit: I mostly agree with you but I don’t think it’s universal.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 06-21-2022 at 08:47 PM.

I didn’t read the entire thread so this might have been covered already but in case it hasn’t; Dell Curry was on Rex Chapman’s podcast and confirmed that Duke wouldn’t take Steph even as a walk-on. A favor was called in to Johnny Dawkins to consider Steph as a walk-on and he turned him down.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...state-warriors

To be fair, Va Tech didn’t take him either.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I didn’t read the entire thread so this might have been covered already but in case it hasn’t; Dell Curry was on Rex Chapman’s podcast and confirmed that Duke wouldn’t take Steph even as a walk-on. A favor was called in to Johnny Dawkins to consider Steph as a walk-on and he turned him down.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...state-warriors

To be fair, Va Tech didn’t take him either.
    But when the next Curry came along, Coach K didn't even hesitate...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Then let’s put an end to all the discussion about the GOAT in basketball: It isn’t Lebron. It isn’t Wilt or Kareem. And it isn’t Michael Jordan. It’s Bill Russell.
    And Robert Horry is a ten ten all time.

(FWIW, I know you are being somewhat facetious)

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    But when the next Curry came along, Coach K didn't even hesitate...
    Well, he still hesitated. He waited until after Curry had a big freshman year at Liberty before considering him.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, he still hesitated. He waited until after Curry had a big freshman year at Liberty before considering him.

All of the big schools hesitated, on both Currys.

Having ties to both Davidson and Duke I'm pretty happy with it all.

did either do much in HS/AAU to warrant serious consderation? I mean, the sports world isn't built for late bloomers, but it's not like duke was the only school to give him a pass....I'm sure not having curry in the family is one of the bigger regrets of K's later tenure, both due to his ability as a player and a person (not like a woe is me regret, just a "if I could do it over" kind of thing)
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Then is Steph the greatest offensive player of all time?
    No. Wilt ends all arguments.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

This I know: if Steph HAD been a Duke, the consensus on this board would be that he was a surefire Top 10 all-timer!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    did either do much in HS/AAU to warrant serious consderation? I mean, the sports world isn't built for late bloomers, but it's not like duke was the only school to give him a pass...I'm sure not having curry in the family is one of the bigger regrets of K's later tenure, both due to his ability as a player and a person (not like a woe is me regret, just a "if I could do it over" kind of thing)
    Oh I wasn’t saying it as any slight against Coach K. Just clarifying that the previous poster’s comment wasn’t accurate. Coach K definitely hesitated. And with total reason: Seth was an undersized and underathletic SG who none of the major conferences went after. It was only after he proved himself at Liberty that Coach K was interested. Again, totally reasonable strategy, but it isn’t like he said “hey, we missed on Steph, let’s not miss on his brother.” That door was most definitely left open for other schools to grab him.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This I know: if Steph HAD been a Duke, the consensus on this board would be that he was a surefire Top 10 all-timer!
    For sure! I’d definitely try and concoct some argument as to why what he’s done is more impressive than Jordan. Jordan never faced any one like Lebron, Pippen is far better than Klay, he’s got a real degree….

Oh I wasn’t saying it as any slight against Coach K. Just clarifying that the previous poster’s comment wasn’t accurate. Coach K definitely hesitated. And with total reason: Seth was an undersized and underathletic SG who none of the major conferences went after. It was only after he proved himself at Liberty that Coach K was interested. Again, totally reasonable strategy, but it isn’t like he said “hey, we missed on Steph, let’s not miss on his brother.” That door was most definitely left open for other schools to grab him.
    Yes... but didn't it happen such that as soon as Seth announced the he was looking to transfer, Coach K was on his doorstep???

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Yes... but didn't it happen such that as soon as Seth announced the he was looking to transfer, Coach K was on his doorstep???
    Yes. After it was obvious to everyone that Seth was a safe bet, Coach K didn’t hesitate 😂.

Interesting sidenote, Seth Greenberg was on Keyshawn JWill and Max this morning.

They were discussing Curry's legacy and other big picture questions and Greenberg felt compelled to explain that at VaTech, he did in fact recruit Steph. But he was encouraging him to redshirt. He had two studs at guard and Steph was so undersized. Clearly, it worked out okay for Curry.

Anyway, sidebar, that morning show is literally one of the worst things on radio. I wish Jay could drag himself out of that crap. Not doing him any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting sidenote, Seth Greenberg was on Keyshawn JWill and Max this morning.

They were discussing Curry's legacy and other big picture questions and Greenberg felt compelled to explain that at VaTech, he did in fact recruit Steph. But he was encouraging him to redshirt. He had two studs at guard and Steph was so undersized. Clearly, it worked out okay for Curry.

Anyway, sidebar, that morning show is literally one of the worst things on radio. I wish Jay could drag himself out of that crap. Not doing him any favors.
    For reference, that 2006-07 Virginia Tech team was pretty good, going 22-12 (10-6, 3rd in ACC) and grabbing a #5 seed in the tournament. They certainly had a stud at guard in senior Zabain Dowdell, who averaged 17 a game. They also had a second starting senior guard, Jamon Gordon.

But it looks like the real person who would have been in Steph's way was freshmen Nigel Munson, a 6-0 guard out of DeMatha in DC who was ranked #70 in the RSCI. At the time, going with Munson was certainly the conventional choice, rather than the unranked, lightly recruited Curry. But as the team's 6th-man, Munson averaged just 3.0 points per game, while Steph was an immediate sensation at Davidson, scoring 21 per game. And while Curry didn't exactly fit the hard-nosed, pound the basketball (334th nationally in 3pt attempts) team at Virginia Tech, I'm sure they would have adapted to a talent like him. When Curry is on your team, that is your team's identity.

Not saying this to bash Greenberg for picking Munson over Steph at the time, but one has to think he could have tried harder to have both on the roster.

Interestingly, that would be Munson's only season at Virginia Tech, as family issues and the April 2007 massacre of 32 on Virginia Tech's campus prompted him to transfer to D-II University of DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    For reference, that 2006-07 Virginia Tech team was pretty good, going 22-12 (10-6, 3rd in ACC) and grabbing a #5 seed in the tournament. They certainly had a stud at guard in senior Zabain Dowdell, who averaged 17 a game. They also had a second starting senior guard, Jamon Gordon.

But it looks like the real person who would have been in Steph's way was freshmen Nigel Munson, a 6-0 guard out of DeMatha in DC who was ranked #70 in the RSCI. At the time, going with Munson was certainly the conventional choice, rather than the unranked, lightly recruited Curry. But as the team's 6th-man, Munson averaged just 3.0 points per game, while Steph was an immediate sensation at Davidson, scoring 21 per game. And while Curry didn't exactly fit the hard-nosed, pound the basketball (334th nationally in 3pt attempts) team at Virginia Tech, I'm sure they would have adapted to a talent like him. When Curry is on your team, that is your team's identity.

Not saying this to bash Greenberg for picking Munson over Steph at the time, but one has to think he could have tried harder to have both on the roster.

Interestingly, that would be Munson's only season at Virginia Tech, as family issues and the April 2007 massacre of 32 on Virginia Tech's campus prompted him to transfer to D-II University of DC.
    If we're going to compile a list of college programs that whiffed BIG TIME with Steph, it's going to be too long to list. Doubt ANY power conference team made a real serious bid, and while maybe we can throw a little more shade at the programs in spitting distance of Charlotte (especially those like VT or UVA at the time that weren't consistently stocking 5-star and high 4-star guys), I don't think you can exactly label anyone as "dumb" given it was pretty much total consensus that Curry looked like a fringe D1 player, certainly mid-major at best.

We might as well say every NFL was a GM for passing on Brady for 5+ rounds. I abhor using hindsight to judge the decisions of these guys. When a guy makes a move that's called out by the masses as "bonehead" before the player sees the field/floor, and it doesn't pan out.... sure, fire him. Give him a hard time. But when his decision is the consensus thought in the moment, just feel like we can't/shouldn't hate on him. (for the record, not saying you ARE hating on him in anyway. Just making that point b/c it's a small pet peeve of mine when fans make allusions to things like, "We could have had Steph, but the staff screwed the pooch!").

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    If we're going to compile a list of college programs that whiffed BIG TIME with Steph, it's going to be too long to list. Doubt ANY power conference team made a real serious bid, and while maybe we can throw a little more shade at the programs in spitting distance of Charlotte (especially those like VT or UVA at the time that weren't consistently stocking 5-star and high 4-star guys), I don't think you can exactly label anyone as "dumb" given it was pretty much total consensus that Curry looked like a fringe D1 player, certainly mid-major at best.

We might as well say every NFL was a GM for passing on Brady for 5+ rounds. I abhor using hindsight to judge the decisions of these guys. When a guy makes a move that's called out by the masses as "bonehead" before the player sees the field/floor, and it doesn't pan out... sure, fire him. Give him a hard time. But when his decision is the consensus thought in the moment, just feel like we can't/shouldn't hate on him. (for the record, not saying you ARE hating on him in anyway. Just making that point b/c it's a small pet peeve of mine when fans make allusions to things like, "We could have had Steph, but the staff screwed the pooch!").
    I agree with you and I would also ask:

Weren't both Steph and Seth Curry around 6-0 and only 150 pounds in high school? Do we know anyone so slight at that height who was ever recruited by a big-time basketball program?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree with you and I would also ask:

Weren't both Steph and Seth Curry around 6-0 and only 150 pounds in high school? Do we know anyone so slight at that height who was ever recruited by a big-time basketball program?
    Spud Webb says hi!

-jk