Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    What was it in for the hornets to make that trade?
    Looks like they got a future first rounder and four future second rounders: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/pis...021000662.html
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    What was it in for the hornets to make that trade?
    As an aside, is anyone else sick of this "proposed trade" nonsense? It makes the draft so chaotic and, perhaps more importantly for the NBA, more difficult to watch/understand as a viewer. The NFL implements the trades right away and gets the players the right hats... what's preventing the NBA from tweaking the CBA to make that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    As an aside, is anyone else sick of this "proposed trade" nonsense? It makes the draft so chaotic and, perhaps more importantly for the NBA, more difficult to watch/understand as a viewer. The NFL implements the trades right away and gets the players the right hats... what's preventing the NBA from tweaking the CBA to make that happen?
    Totally agreed. I posted about this last night. Tell me where the guy is going. Even if it is in a "wink wink nudge nudge" way. I was completely losing track of where people were ending up. And I was watching pretty closely. For the average person who actually has other things to do with their life and is not fully engaged, it must be really impossible to watch.

It is particularly important because there are some trades that make absolutely no sense up front but are driven by moving money and/or future picks around (and even then they still might not make sense, ex. my NY Knicks). I understand and agree with the need for the cap but I find the gymnastics that go around making moves solely based on cap space takes away from being an NBA fan. I know that others disagree on this.

Looks like they got a future first rounder and four future second rounders: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/pis...021000662.html
    This just in: Michael Jordan is really, really bad at running a NBA franchise.

The first rounder they got is gonna be a late first round pick -- unless the Bucks, a championship contender who project to be a good team for the foreseeable future, somehow become bad in the next couple seasons. The second rounders are... well... second rounders and there is just limited value in a second round pick (some become rotation players, but few become impactful parts of your franchise). Essentially, in a league where stars and near-stars are all that matters, the Hornets traded a lottery pick (a chance to pick a star/near-star) for several picks in the 20s-40s.

Unless you have a phenomenal scouting department that excels at finding diamonds in the rough (like Golden State, Miami, and San Antonio) then that is a really bad trade.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

According to the yahoo article linked above it’s the Knicks who got the Bucks’ pick

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

The first rounder they got is gonna be a late first round pick -- unless the Bucks, a championship contender who project to be a good team for the foreseeable future, somehow become bad in the next couple seasons. The second rounders are... well... second rounders and there is just limited value in a second round pick (some become rotation players, but few become impactful parts of your franchise). Essentially, in a league where stars and near-stars are all that matters, the Hornets traded a lottery pick (a chance to pick a star/near-star) for several picks in the 20s-40s.

Unless you have a phenomenal scouting department that excels at finding diamonds in the rough (like Golden State, Miami, and San Antonio) then that is a really bad trade.
    I think Jordan is hoping to take advantage of the transfer portal this season

The Hornets are bumping up against the cap and have to sign Miles Bridges: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/charlotte-hornets/cap/

https://theathletic.com/3362821/2022...forwards-2022/

If you assume Bridges goes 4 years for $120m, then it likely makes sense to use one of the picks to move Gordon Heyward's salary.

Charlotte got the big man they wants (Mark) and punted to the future. They got Mark at 15 rather than having to move up for him. I kinda get that, but they could have added AJ or another rotation guy on a cheap deal. Or they could have gone Pat Baldwin and stashed him in the G-League for a year.

But yeah, Jordan and Mitch aint good.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    According to the yahoo article linked above it’s the Knicks who got the Bucks’ pick
    Yeah, I think the Knicks got the pick from the Pistons and the Hornets actually got one of the many picks OKC sent the Knicks way. It honestly seems no one knows for sure at this point.

While that makes things less horrible from the Hornets' perspective, it isn't by much. I have to wonder whether the cap situation was part of the calculus here, and the Hornets essentially wanted to "defer" a first round pick until later and not have that on the books this year. Maybe that makes it a bit more palatable to ownership to go into the luxury tax to retain Bridges if they have to, especially if they can't find someone to take on Hayward's contract? The only other way this makes sense is if the Hornets really were "locked in" on Mark and didn't see anyone else they liked in their range, in which case "delaying" their pick a year sort of makes sense (depending on how good of a pick it ends up being).

The reaction here reminds me a bit of how Pistons fans were disappointed about the Jerami Grant deal until the "next move" came through last night. The issue is, I think most would have less confidence that there is a "next move" with the Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Hornets are bumping up against the cap and have to sign Miles Bridges: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/charlotte-hornets/cap/

https://theathletic.com/3362821/2022...forwards-2022/

If you assume Bridges goes 4 years for $120m, then it likely makes sense to use one of the picks to move Gordon Heyward's salary.

Charlotte got the big man they wants (Mark) and punted to the future. They got Mark at 15 rather than having to move up for him. I kinda get that, but they could have added AJ or another rotation guy on a cheap deal. Or they could have gone Pat Baldwin and stashed him in the G-League for a year.

But yeah, Jordan and Mitch aint good.
    From what I understand you can go over the cap to sign one of your own players (has to do with "Bird rights"), but you can't to sign a new player. That's part of why "sign and trades" are a thing. But you do have to deal with the luxury tax, which a small market team like the Hornets may not be willing to do.

Again, this is part of what makes the Pistons' maneuvering last night potentially genius: if they have their sights on Bridges in free agency (which is possible, although not a sure thing), and were able to get Duren without helping Charlotte with their cap situation, they may have killed two birds with one stone.

From what I understand you can go over the cap to sign one of your own players (has to do with "Bird rights"), but you can't to sign a new player. That's part of why "sign and trades" are a thing. But you do have to deal with the luxury tax, which a small market team like the Hornets may not be willing to do.

Again, this is part of what makes the Pistons' maneuvering last night potentially genius: if they have their sights on Bridges in free agency (which is possible, although not a sure thing), and were able to get Duren without helping Charlotte with their cap situation, they may have killed two birds with one stone.
    The Hornets should match any offer for Bridges. They just dont want to pay the tax as a play in team.

However, flipping out of the 13th pick should have been worth more. Why not take a future 1st AND get off Plumlee with 1 year, $8.5 remaining? Heck, why not use the pick and Rozier to go get John Wall? I dont know...it's treading water.

Jack White is coming back from Australia to play in the NBA summer league with the Nuggets.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...42243545997312

Interesting... wonder if he can parlay this into a training camp invite.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

yeah, I cringed when they took Mark Williams. The Hairnets are just destined to be mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, I cringed when they took Mark Williams. The Hairnets are just destined to be mediocre.
    The Hornets just do the weirdest crap.

They’ve now hired Steve Clifford as their new coach. Clifford was of course the coach they fired in 2018.

I mean, I *like* Clifford. But what are they even doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    The Hornets just do the weirdest crap.
    Isn't Gordon Hayward due for a raise?

Any idea how they do in regard to ticket sales and attendance? I wonder from time to time about their viability as a franchise. Are they well-liked in Charlotte or more of an afterthought?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Any idea how they do in regard to ticket sales and attendance? I wonder from time to time about their viability as a franchise. Are they well-liked in Charlotte or more of an afterthought?
    http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

evidently middle of the pack...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    On the field/court I agree. But as far as I know Jordan is nowhere near Snyder in terms of unsavory behavior and a toxic work environment.
    https://twitter.com/Damn_Snyder/stat...yS4LBmWAcD-kNw

WRT to Snyder. Here is a list of crappy things he has done. Found this yesterday...if you try to read the entire list it'll take a very long time. He's a terrible person and owner and the teams performance on the field mirrors his ownership: dumpster fire

WRT to Zion: He's very young and when he wants to lose weight and get in shape, he seems quite capable. I'm sure he gained some weight while having such an extended rehab of his injured foot. I'm not surprised that he's already looking good now that he's cleared to be more active. The Pelicans had better hope that Zion doesn't read social media because their fans seem to hate him and do nothing but complain about his weight. After reading so many posts from these 'fans', I could see Zion coming back next season, putting up 30+10 and then signing elsewhere.

GSW question...how good is Wiseman and how does he fit in? I kinda took 2020 off from the NBA (OK, I took it off from almost everything) so I really don't have a feel for what he brings to the table. Could the GSW be better adding Wiseman and having Klay get better once he gets away from those 2 years lost?

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

evidently middle of the pack...
    Based upon percentage of capacity, the Hornets are closer to the bottom of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    After reading so many posts from these 'fans', I could see Zion coming back next season, putting up 30+10 and then signing elsewhere.
    Well, seeing as New Orleans holds matching rights to him, he can't really sign elsewhere. Now, he could make them miserable and demand a trade, the way AD and other big stars have done when they want to go to a new team. But, at the moment both Zion and the Pels are saying the right things to each other. Most folks expect them to sign him to a max extension this summer, which would be worth approx. $186 million over 5 years (exact number depends on the cap and on whether Zion makes an All-NBA team). The extension would kick in at the end of this coming season and would put Zion under New Orleans' control until summer of 2028, when he would be 28 years old.

Well, seeing as New Orleans holds matching rights to him, he can't really sign elsewhere. Now, he could make them miserable and demand a trade, the way AD and other big stars have done when they want to go to a new team. But, at the moment both Zion and the Pels are saying the right things to each other. Most folks expect them to sign him to a max extension this summer, which would be worth approx. $186 million over 5 years (exact number depends on the cap and on whether Zion makes an All-NBA team). The extension would kick in at the end of this coming season and would put Zion under New Orleans' control until summer of 2028, when he would be 28 years old.
    Yeah…there ain’t a snowball’s chance in hell Zion doesn’t sign the extension. Stars rarely do not sign an extension, even if they’re unhappy.

Now, Zion may be unhappy. But he’ll sign. And if the Pelicans start winning, he’ll be happier.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club