Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Makes me think about Zion. Really hoping he can stay more healthy.
    It feels like a Very Important Season for Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    In terms of his career and his impact on the league, I 100% agree.

But it is worth noting that Zion already agreed to a massive contract extension (worth between $193 and $231 million) that will allow his great grandchildren to not worry about money...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I feel the same way. Yes he will get paid but for a guy who has a chance to be the face of the league in a few years, the money was always going to be there. I still think the sky is the limit for Zion but I think that this season is important in the grand scheme of things.

I joined some of the Pelicans FB groups and the fans will turn on Zion if he loses another year. I guess they think 27+9+butts_in_seats+nationally_televised_regular_s eason_games will just magically happen without him???

Feel horrible for Chet, especially considering the circumstances under which he was hurt.

Agree that this is a HUGE season for Zion. I get that he received the big extension, but in terms of at least early career legacy, he needs to stay healthy and play well. And I believe the Pelicans need to make the postseason as well if Zion is going to live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Feel horrible for Chet, especially considering the circumstances under which he was hurt.

Agree that this is a HUGE season for Zion. I get that he received the big extension, but in terms of at least early career legacy, he needs to stay healthy and play well. And I believe the Pelicans need to make the postseason as well if Zion is going to live up to the hype.
    Yeah, major bummer, particularly for Holmgren. As a fan of basketball, I was really looking forward to watching him play against genuine NBA competition.

This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

I joined some of the Pelicans FB groups and the fans will turn on Zion if he loses another year.
    Yes. From what I see online and hear in person (even from UNC fans) Zion has the universe rooting for him to excel. If he loses another huge chunk of this season, he may lose a huge chunk of the goodwill along with it.

7. In the various photos and videos of Zion over the summer...he's looking ripped. Think he's gonna be awesome this year especially with CJ at guard. Gonna take him third round in fantasy if he's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...fered-pro-game

Ouch.

Guess the pundits were right on Holgrem's injury issues.

Rule of thumb: if you're too petite to play in the NBA, you're in trouble. If you're too big to play in the NBA, you're in trouble. Goldilocks Paradigm.
    One positive is that he can do some upper body strength training. He is young so hopefully his healing will be fast but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    In the various photos and videos of Zion over the summer...he's looking ripped. Think he's gonna be awesome this year especially with CJ at guard. Gonna take him third round in fantasy if he's still there.
    Drafted him in the first round of my 12-team keeper league last year (2 keepers per team, so this is like drafting him in the 3rd round). I kept him on my IR all season long just so I could have him as a keeper this year. I won the league title (Kyrie coming back to play really helped as I had him with a really low pick) and will be keeping Jokic and Zion for my team this year.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    One positive is that he can do some upper body strength training. He is young so hopefully his healing will be fast but you never know.
    Gotta think coaches and trainers have been telling him to work on upper body strength for the last 4 years or so….

Hope he gets there. He’s an exciting talent with arguably the high upside in the draft (or at least prior to the injury).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    In the various photos and videos of Zion over the summer...he's looking ripped. Think he's gonna be awesome this year especially with CJ at guard. Gonna take him third round in fantasy if he's still there.
    In depth, factual article on Zion from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...on-long-injury

He’s ready.

Also, he needs to learn to dress better.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

In depth, factual article on Zion from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...on-long-injury

He’s ready.

Also, he needs to learn to dress better.
    Thanks for the link! I wouldn't have seen it otherwise as I generally don't surf there.

Definitely lots of good info. I'm very excited about Zion and the Pelicans. Will be following them faithfully this coming NBA season.

Gotta think coaches and trainers have been telling him to work on upper body strength for the last 4 years or so….

Hope he gets there. He’s an exciting talent with arguably the high upside in the draft (or at least prior to the injury).
    Well- testosterone levels may be a factor here. A lot of pro players look vastly different than their high school selves.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I wonder. The game was cancelled in the second period due to condensation on the court, and a slippery surface could easily have been a factor in causing an injury like this. It looks to me as though it could potentially affect his entire career if he's unlucky. It's way too early for the general public to know if a slippery court was actually a factor, of course, but it would not surprise me to see a lawsuit at some point over this injury.
    If you’re an NBA player and the court is slippery, why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Very good question. Furthermore, if you're an owner/general manager/coach, do you want your multi-million dollar player (and potential future of your franchise) to be playing in these "off schedule" type of games? I realize anyone can get hurt any where but, if I were the owner/GM/or coach, I'd want some oversight of where my star players (and investment) were playing. It's a little like owning a multi-million dollar vintage Ferrari. Do you let your neighbor's 17-year old son "borrow" the car to use on a date?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    How soon we forget:

Back in March I joked that Chet Holmgren was a early winner in the NBA Draft because he didn't have to play NCAA Tournament games in Greenville, while Paolo Banchero and Jabari Smith did.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Very good question. Furthermore, if you're an owner/general manager/coach, do you want your multi-million dollar player (and potential future of your franchise) to be playing in these "off schedule" type of games? I realize anyone can get hurt any where but, if I were the owner/GM/or coach, I'd want some oversight of where my star players (and investment) were playing.
    I must have been blissfully ignorant in the past, because until this summer I was unaware that active NBA players were taking part in these pro-am games. Just a few weeks ago I clutched at invisible pearls, expressing some mild alarm that Dejounte Murray's Seattle pro-am teammates were trying to take down Paolo Banchero. And now this.

If we draw a player safety spectrum with 24-hour bubble wrap protection at one end and riding motorcycles and handling fireworks at the other, I wonder where these pro-am games would fall now, especially if they were light on organization and officiating.

Did LeBron step on Chet’s foot?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Did LeBron step on Chet’s foot?
    In case this is a real question, the answer is no. Not even close. Chet did this pre-contact while backing up and preparing to jump in defense of the shot attempt. Here is an excellent video from a doctor that breaks it down pretty clearly. The doctor concludes that it isn't clear that the slippery floor caused the injury, and he's in a better position to know that I am, certainly. While the doctor minimizes that aspect, though, Chet's lawyers probably won't. It still would not surprise me to see this become the subject of some litigation down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In case this is a real question, the answer is no. Not even close. Chet did this pre-contact while backing up and preparing to jump in defense of the shot attempt. Here is an excellent video from a doctor that breaks it down pretty clearly. The doctor concludes that it isn't clear that the slippery floor caused the injury, and he's in a better position to know that I am, certainly. While the doctor minimizes that aspect, though, Chet's lawyers probably won't. It still would not surprise me to see this become the subject of some litigation down the road.
    Thanks. It was a real question. I couldn’t tell from the video and saw a comment about the injury being a contact injury.

Humanizing story about John Wall.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...mily-tragedies