Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Several hundred thousand???? Minimum salary for zero experience is now a million bucks.
    Lol. My comment was mostly in jest, particularly the income portion. However I do admit that player discontent has gotten a bit tiresome.

But honestly, the intrigue about Durant, Irving, Simmons, Westbrook, Harden, etc. does keep my interest to a degree, particularly during this, the most boring portion of the sports calendar. I’m just counting the days until the US Open🎾 begins on August 29. Ugh, I can’t believe that it’s still almost three weeks away.

And then the following week the NFL season begins. It can’t come soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Lol. My comment was mostly in jest, particularly the income portion. However I do admit that player discontent has gotten a bit tiresome.

But honestly, the intrigue about Durant, Irving, Simmons, Westbrook, Harden, etc. does keep my interest to a degree, particularly during this, the most boring portion of the sports calendar. I’m just counting the days until the US Open🎾 begins on August 29. Ugh, I can’t believe that it’s still almost three weeks away.

Indeed. All the reverse jinxies in the world can't save my Seahawks this year!

Yeah, the NBA player drama with Durant, Irving et al. is interesting but polarizing.

I appreciate the fact, at least my view, that most of the NBA players are good citizens. We don't see many NBA players breaking the law, engaging in domestic violence, getting arrested or saying stupid things (there are a few exceptions).

These divas drive me nuts though. It's hard to root for them when they seem so self centered, selfish and unwilling to fit into a team.

Kyrie and Durant are the main culprits. I loved Kyrie as player during his 11 games that he played at Duke. While injured, he seemed to be a good teammate. He's a great ball handler, one of the best I have ever seen in driving a crowded lane and making a lay up. He may be a good teammate, I can't tell without being there, but I wish he could just get rid of his self styled, self proclaimed, delusional intellectual arrogance and concentrate on being an important cog in a winning NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I wish he (Kyrie) could just get rid of his self styled, self proclaimed, delusional intellectual arrogance and concentrate on being an important cog in a winning NBA team.
    Why don’t you just ask for the moon instead? At least that would be a tiny bit possible! 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The other side of that coin is the Nets have no reason to accept the lowball offers. And from what I read, they don’t intend to. Why would they?

Plus, no matter how toxic he gets, there’s not a team in the NBA who wouldn’t love to have Durant on their roster. How much each team is willing to give up will depend on how close the team is to contending for a championship in the next three years, not how unhappy Durant is in Brooklyn.
    Joe Tsai seems like a guy who can withstand pressure and play out high-stakes negotiations over time. I don’t begrudge KD exerting whatever leverage he has to get what he wants, but I’m not sure he’s winning in a negotiation with Tsai.
    Carolina delenda est

Why don’t you just ask for the moon instead? At least that would be a tiny bit possible! 😜
    Yeah, got it.

I've learned the hard way that my expectations for people, especially people I have never met, are a bit unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I've learned the hard way that my expectations for people, especially people I have never met, are a bit unrealistic.
    An entire sports and political commentary industry is built around just this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't know that it is that widespread. The most high profile players seem to suck all the oxygen out of the room, but other I don't think that the masses have turned on NBA players in general.

It's the squeaky 2% of players like KD that make all the noise and get all the attention.
    Granted. But no one cares all that much about the lesser players or ones that stay put. I should have said that I think fans are beginning to turn against the squeaky wheels and are getting fed up with stars forcing their way off and on to various teams all willy nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes. I am especially interested in knowing the veracity of reports that Brown isn't happy being in Tatum's shadow. There seems to be slight evidence in either direction on this. If he's truly unhappy and planning on bailing at some point, that becomes a consideration. Until I hear otherwise, I take Stevens at his word that he doesn't want to make any moves which might upset what he sees as good team chemistry.
    Great point. I have seen reports that he's upset. But not from a credible source. He ay be fine.

I don't begrudge players having more agency in their careers and futures - I think most people don't.

But players like KD make it hard to defend sometimes.
    I think fan ire is getting riled up by stars who exercise their tremendous agency and then bail when it all blows up. Bron did it in Cleveland twice (Kyrie was partly to blame for that). KD has now done it. A few others as well. I' not sure that agency works well for the teams because these players let their personal feelings get in the way of successful team building. But I can't begrudge them said agency. Others are probably more forgiving in this regard than I which is a very reasonable opinion.

The problem now is that stars use their huge leverage to dictate terns to an owner only to bail when it doesn't work out. And they usually leave a devastated team in their wake. It is one thing for a start to force moves by his team that leads to a title run(s) but then devastates the team for a few years afterwards. But when it results in 1-2 mediocre years and then the star bails leafing a decade long rebuild in his wake? Fans are getting fed up with the agency if it doesn't work and then the star bails for greener pastures.

Smartest thing Zion has done in ages... Gone to Comicon and repped his favorite anime.

Smartest thing Zion has done in ages... Gone to Comicon and repped his favorite anime.
    I’ve lived in San Diego for a couple of decades, and this is the first time I’ve been pissed I didn’t go to Comicon.

Your link produces a tiny GQ logo and nothing else. Here's the article.

zionnaruto.jpg

I don't know or understand anything about this, other than to point out that Zion is still rockin' the Gilligan hat.

We were in Boston this weekend and stayed across the street from the convention center, which was hosting Comicon (apparently there are multiple Comicon's?). Many of the attendees were staying in my hotel - definitely some "interesting" individuals. I just saw this post and was upset that I didn't see Zion, but I guess he was at a different one.

We are going to Pittsburgh soon to see family and this year will not overlap with their Furries convention. Another gathering of interesting individuals. I was married in Pittsburgh and that year the convention was the weekend after my wedding - we were very glad that the events did not overlap.

Cool stuff, nice find.

So, up in Seattle at Jamal Crawford’s Summer league called The Crawsover, here is the list of players who have shown up to play today: Paolo, Jayson, LeBron, Dejounte, Chet… and a few others who need both a first and last name to be identified. Truly absurd roster of dudes who will be on court together.

And here is the line to get in: https://twitter.com/espnnba/status/1...465533952?s=21
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, up in Seattle at Jamal Crawford’s Summer league called The Crawsover, here is the list of players who have shown up to play today: Paolo, Jayson, LeBron, Dejounte, Chet… and a few others who need both a first and last name to be identified. Truly absurd roster of dudes who will be on court together.

And here is the line to get in: https://twitter.com/espnnba/status/1...465533952?s=21
    The Crawsover game was called off in the 2nd quarter because of condensation on the court. Lebron didn't do much but he was teamed with Tatum (and Murray) and JTay was en fuego. Hit like 4 3s in the first quarter alone including one in Paolo's face. Welcome to the league, young fella.

By the way, Paolo came into the arena sporting a Duke brotherhood warmup... represent!

Some Tatum highlights:
    https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1561163187516588032
    https://twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/1561163592459845635

Tatum with the no look lob to Lebron: https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1561166278865440769

Paolo and Murray... apparently not ready to kill each other as the world had predicted: https://twitter.com/TaylorRooks/stat...65093722677248
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

18. Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    He is moody, and has a wandering eye. If I played with Russell Westbrook, Draymond Green and Ben Simmons, I would likely have a wandering eye too.

But what is hard to understand, is KD seems to be miffed about the Nets treatment of Kyrie. Kyrie made his bed. He cost KD a peak season. Why remain loyal when it does not go both ways?
    Could it be that...we don't know the full story?? Or maybe it's easier to just dismiss KD as crazy.

There was a report some time back that the real reason Harden asked out wasn't because of Kyrie -- that they're apparently still on good terms -- but because of Nash as the coach. KD giving this ultimatum lends credence to that report.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, it gets annoying and frustrating to see players whine and complain so much when they’re paid several hundred thousand dollars a year simply to play a game — something any of us would love to be doing. 😉
    You'll find complaining at every level of income. C'mon now, you know this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Could it be that...we don't know the full story?? Or maybe it's easier to just dismiss KD as crazy.

There was a report some time back that the real reason Harden asked out wasn't because of Kyrie -- that they're apparently still on good terms -- but because of Nash as the coach. KD giving this ultimatum lends credence to that report.
    Yeah, I mean, that definitely changes the context of all of this.

It's easy to look at the past of Harden, Durant, and Irving and assume there was some sort of ego clash. But I honestly hadn't considered that all three are/were frustrated by coaching.