Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The Warriors are like the Patriots where people get worked up about this person or that person leaving, but as long as they have their core, starting with Steph, they have been able ton replace other key players and still play excellent two way basketball.
    I dunno, it'd be prettttty hard to dribble a partially deflated ball.

If the Warriors have to start playing outdoors, in the freezing cold, that might happen. Otherwise, I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

Jayson Tatum wants Celts to grab Harry Giles?

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2022/07/...cs-still-sign/

that would be nice, though I have no idea whatsoever if this is feasible

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

It is definitely feasible, as Giles is without a team and would only command the minimum at this point (he wasn't even in the NBA last year). Whether or not it would make any impact on the team is another question.

The Celtics actually have some real room at the end of their roster because they threw Malik Fitts and Juwan Morgan into the deal to get Malcom Brogdon to make the salary cap math work. The Celtics are likely looking for a couple more youngsters to give 2-ways or non-guaranteed kind of deals to and Harry may fit the bill.

That said, he will have to earn a full contract in training camp and I expect there will be a good bit of competition from other young free agent types (it helps Harry that the Celtics only had 1 draft pick this year, a late 2nd rounder that they used on JD Davidson of Alabama).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

May help that Theis is gone.

Evergreen post.

Yeah, but Theis has two functioning knees.

If signing Giles makes Tatum happy, do it. But I hope Tatum isn't expecting Giles to help the team cus I don't think he can...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah, but Theis has two functioning knees.

If signing Giles makes Tatum happy, do it. But I hope Tatum isn't expecting Giles to help the team cus I don't think he can...
    I'm not saying I have the slightest of expectations, just wanted to indicate that Tatum would like Harry on the team...beyond that ...whatever...(there are always guys at the bottom of the roster whom no one on the street would recognize).

I'm not saying I have the slightest of expectations, just wanted to indicate that Tatum would like Harry on the team...beyond that ...whatever...(there are always guys at the bottom of the roster whom no one on the street would recognize).
    Don't disagree.

Maybe the Celtics can make a deal with Tatum: we'll sign Giles if you learn to protect the ball.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

(there are always guys at the bottom of the roster whom no one on the street would recognize)
    You could win a lot of money on bar bets asking folks who Malik Fitts and Juwan Morgan played for last season (or even what sport they played).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The Warriors are like the Patriots where people get worked up about this person or that person leaving, but as long as they have their core, starting with Steph, they have been able ton replace other key players and still play excellent two way basketball.
    Warriors fans are certainly feeling their oats!

Just joking. Sort of. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Warriors fans are certainly feeling their oats!

Just joking. Sort of. ��
    Emphasis on the "sort of".

I just had a Warriors' fan ding me yesterday. Jerk. I say that because I'm related to him by marriage and can't do anything about it.
    Last edited by SouthernDukie; 07-05-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You could win a lot of money on bar bets asking folks who Malik Fitts and Juwan Morgan played for last season (or even what sport they played).
    yes, just like that. Someone has to take the roster spots...

Get your friend a job for 1.7M- nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Get your friend a job for 1.7M- nice guy.
    yep, just NBA peanuts at that price, but it's a job!

Neat Ja Morant video:

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Neat Ja Morant video:

Good stuff. I especially like her reaction at the end.

I was hoping Ja would answer her question about which school he attended because I have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m guessing it was mentioned on here, yet somehow I missed the news (until a few minutes ago while listening to the Bill Simmons podcast) that Gary Payton Jr. is no longer a Golden State Warrior. He signed a three-year $28 million deal with the Portland Trailblazers.

I think this is a significant blow to Golden State. I know it might sound crazy, but I’m not so sure they would have beaten the Celtics had Payton not played. He was the Warriors best perimeter defender and is reputedly one of the very best defenders at the guard position in the entire NBA. On the offensive side his elite athleticism allows him to finish at the rim and he’s developed a reasonable outside shot to go along with solid passing and good decision-making with the ball.

I’m kind of stunned that Golden State didn’t sign him.
    I agree. I watched most of the Warrior games this season and GP 2 had so much value for them both statistically and emotionally. As you said he was a terrific defender (think sane, under control Beverly) and a great finisher at rim. But he also was a winner. If the team was flat or hanging their heads he would come in and make some amazing energy plays that would fire the whole team up.
    I sort of understand why they made the move. He was due a significant increase in salary and a multiyear contract and they had to pay a 7X luxury tax penalty for that increase in salary. And I think they thought it would be an even bigger problem next year. The owners are rich but they are spending nearly $500 mil per year maybe? Jason would probably know.
    But I was a major GP 2 fan and I think his loss will cost them. A site did an analysis of recent trades that statistically predicted the Warriors deals so far cost them estimated 9 wins, 2nd most lost wins in the league.

And his loss will definitely cost me some enjoyment when watching their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I sort of understand why they made the move. He was due a significant increase in salary and a multiyear contract and they had to pay a 7X luxury tax penalty for that increase in salary. And I think they thought it would be an even bigger problem next year. The owners are rich but they are spending nearly $500 mil per year maybe? Jason would probably know.
    Not quite $500 mil... $350 mil, which is still an outrageous number: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/b...4250%20million.

The Golden State Warriors aren't just the most expensive team in the NBA. They are far and away the most expensive team in the history of North American professional sports. The Warriors are paying their players roughly $176 million, but as a repeat luxury tax offender, they will also owe over $170 million in tax payments. That's a total expenditure of $346 million. The Los Angeles Clippers were the NBA's second-most expensive team this season and they came in at around $250 million. Only the Clippers, Nets, Lakers and Bucks spent even half as much as the Warriors did this season