Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly

    RIP, Internet Explorer

    Some stars shine too bright and fade too soon.

    https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/15/23167121/microsoft-internet-explorer-end-of-support-retirement

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Some stars shine too bright and fade too soon.
    As someone who has worked in the web industry for 20+ years...some stars never should have shined at all.

    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    As someone who has worked in the web industry for 20+ years...some stars never should have shined at all.

    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.
    As someone who works in the web industry, just because Microsoft doesn't support it anymore doesn't mean I don't have to.

  4. #4
    The only correct way to acknowledge this would be to post about it in about 12 weeks.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    As someone who has worked in the web industry for 20+ years...some stars never should have shined at all.

    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.
    You're a monster! I'm sorry. I may be overreacting here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    You're a monster! I'm sorry. I may be overreacting here.
    I always considered Internet Explorer to be something of an IEgor to the Frankensteinian creation it was associated with.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I always considered Internet Explorer to be something of an IEgor to the Frankensteinian creation it was associated with.
    Master will be pleased with this association.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Which was worse, IE itself, or the fact that many organizations did not allow their computers to run anything else besides it?

    A text without a context is a pretext.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Which was worse, IE itself, or the fact that many organizations did not allow their computers to run anything else besides it?

    At my last job (which happened to be my first job, and was not web or tech related), I finally got fed up with IE and decided to install Firefox after losing hours and hours dealing with websites that just didn't work with IE (sites I needed to use on a daily basis). My assumption was that it would say I didn't have admin privileges and I wouldn't be able to install.

    Instead, I install successfully, feeling pretty satisfied with myself, until about a half second after the install finished when I get two or three "you have installed unauthorized software, please delete immediately" popups from the security/monitoring software. About a second later my phone starts ringing from the head of IT. Pure panic.

    Ultimately I continued using IE. They eventually installed Firefox on everyone's computer about a year later I think. Oops.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    As someone who has worked in the web industry for 20+ years...some stars never should have shined at all.

    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.
    Whoa. Remind me never to offer you a refreshment and take a touch too long getting to you.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Whoa. Remind me never to offer you a refreshment and take a touch too long getting to you.
    For this metaphor to really work you would also need to serve his beverage poured on a plate because you don't know what cups are yet.

    (IE lacks "modern" browser functionality where modern is a set of standards released and widely adopted some 7 years ago).

  12. #12
    As a mildly interesting side story, i worked in networking (when it meant how to connect to a mainframe) when this whole internet thing started. Iíll never forget the joy of typing in the name of a Japanese website and watch it load over the course of a few minutes. I was connected!

    I think this was pre-IE. probably Mozilla.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    As a mildly interesting side story, i worked in networking (when it meant how to connect to a mainframe) when this whole internet thing started. Iíll never forget the joy of typing in the name of a Japanese website and watch it load over the course of a few minutes. I was connected!

    I think this was pre-IE. probably Mozilla.
    More likely Netscape or Mosaic.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    I miss the comforting sound of dial-up.

  15. #15
    I had a Juno email account...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I miss the comforting sound of dial-up.
    I remember when the new super-fast 1800 baud modems became available at my workplace.


    During that era I was porting software to a massively parallel NCube supercomputer with 64 processors each running at 25 MHz and with (I think) 16MB of dedicated memory.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I remember when the new super-fast 1800 baud modems became available at my workplace.


    During that era I was porting software to a massively parallel NCube supercomputer with 64 processors each running at 25 MHz and with (I think) 16MB of dedicated memory.
    In college, I used a cassette-booted TRS-80. 16K memory, loading speed something like 300 or 500 baud.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    For this metaphor to really work you would also need to serve his beverage poured on a plate because you don't know what cups are yet.

    (IE lacks "modern" browser functionality where modern is a set of standards released and widely adopted some 7 years ago).
    Forgive me, but I was fighting with IE's non-adherence to web standards at least 15 years ago. Really, the ammunition can't be passed fast enough.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I had a Juno email account...
    I still do (since 1996!). I find it is less prone to to being hacked than gmail or other more popular platforms, probably because hackers don't realize that it still exists.

    My one browser story is about a colleague who I worked with on a few projects, I think this was was around 1994. One day he stopped by my office to say goodbye, and to tell me that he had taken a job on the west coast (we were in Cambridge). I was disappointed to see him go, and asked the name of the company. Told me it was a startup called "Netscape." Of course, I had no clue what that was. Hope he cashed in his options while they were worth something.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Forgive me, but I was fighting with IE's non-adherence to web standards at least 15 years ago. Really, the ammunition can't be passed fast enough.
    W3C, IETF RFC's, CA/B Forum... these are just meaningless acronyms not meant to be taken seriously, right?


    In all fairness, I do like/respect what MS has done with Windows 10, with the move from IE to Edge, and some of the other tools they've freely come out with, notably VSCode, WSL2, and Microsoft Terminal.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Similar Threads

  1. How Fast is Your Internet?
    By mattman91 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 06:06 PM
  2. Home Page problems with Internet Explorer
    By BlueDevilBaby in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
  3. Clear.com internet
    By DukeFencer in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM
  4. Microsoft says don't use Internet Explorer
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •